Magnaflow 19385 missing clamp

LRaymond

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
I just received my 19385 Magnaflow axle back from UPS. It was on the porch when I got home. The box was a mess. Dents, holes and two small pieces of clear tape holding it shut. There was no packaging inside of any kind and the box was easily three times larger than necessary. The muffler itself appears damage free, but the clamp is missing. Can I use the factory clamp or is it welded to one side?
Sponsored

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Don't feel alone! I received a Magnaflow axle back exhaust yesterday and the box looked like it had been through the Viet Nam war. Unfortunately my axle back did not fit the OEM tailpipe. Maganaflow shipped some product that would not fit over the OEM exhaust pipe. Mine was one of those. Their product is well built, looks good, but is useless if it doesn't fit! Good luck!

OP
OP

LRaymond

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Don't feel alone! I received a Magnaflow axle back exhaust yesterday and the box looked like it had been through the Viet Nam war. Unfortunately my axle back did not fit the OEM tailpipe. Maganaflow shipped some product that would not fit over the OEM exhaust pipe. Mine was one of those. Their product is well built, looks good, but is useless if it doesn't fit! Good luck!
I have ordered three systems now. The first (above) arrived with the box beat to hell and the clamp missing. The tips both had impact damage due to the absence of any packaging/protection. The replacement arrived with the same issue you state. It would not install due to the inlet being too small for my outlet to fit. The third arrived yesterday. The left tip had an impact damage on the edge and the right tip had a scratch and dime sized dent at the scratch. Same poor packaging in a box three times larger than necessary allowing the muffler to just tumble inside. I've been trying to deal with Magnaflow via private message, but today they sent a message that basically says that, because I bought it from Amazon and they are NOT and authorized dealer they are sorry for my luck. Amazon Services is getting all that Magnflow product from somewhere and I'm guessing its Magnaflow.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I have ordered three systems now. The first (above) arrived with the box beat to hell and the clamp missing. The tips both had impact damage due to the absence of any packaging/protection. The replacement arrived with the same issue you state. It would not install due to the inlet being too small for my outlet to fit. The third arrived yesterday. The left tip had an impact damage on the edge and the right tip had a scratch and dime sized dent at the scratch. Same poor packaging in a box three times larger than necessary allowing the muffler to just tumble inside. I've been trying to deal with Magnaflow via private message, but today they sent a message that basically says that, because I bought it from Amazon and they are NOT and authorized dealer they are sorry for my luck. Amazon Services is getting all that Magnflow product from somewhere and I'm guessing its Magnaflow.

Ok, I thought it was just me!! The box is definitely way too big (one size fits all?) and it looks lost in the box when you open it...wasn't a problem, FEDEX already had the top open! My clamp was in the bag with the instructions and was taped to the inside. There is nothing to hold the muffler from traveling around in the box and therefore tries to commit suicide during the shipment!

Removal: Removal was fairly easy, WD40 the snot out of the rubber isolators, take a big screwdriver and carefully but forcibly pry them off. Grab the muffler and rock it up and down like you were going to screw it on the exhaust pipe and it'll come right off.

Install: After 90 minutes of WWF wrestling with the new setup I pulled it back out and decided to measure the opening. Let me be clear, it did with force fit about 1/3 the way on and that was it. After measuring I found the factory muffler connection pipe measure 2 9/16 inside where the magnaflow measured just shy of 2 1/2". This is where the problem is and why some folks have no issue and folks like me do! I tried expanding it with a hand expander but the SS they use is too stout. I took it to my local garage and they put it on the expansion side of their tube bender and we opened her up. When I got home it slid right on with no issue! I don't like the flat style clamps so I installed with a regular muffler clamp and all tightened right up. The "ears" slid right into the isolators with no issue.

Results: Great sound and nothing offensive. It is not obnoxious and I doubt if anyone on the sidewalk is going to be shocked, but it is different than stock, deeper growl, and nothing different that I can hear at highway speeds.

It's a quality piece for sure, typical Magnaflow!

Conclusion: Magnaflow needs to step up their final quality inspection to ensure that the connection end is expanded correctly. I thought I was having a bad day because I couldn't get it to slide on but now I see I wasn't the only one.

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Has magnaflow fixed the axel back issue where the piping doesn’t fit the stock setup?

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was also one of those that didn't fit. I rented a pipe expander from my local parts dealer, expanded the pipe so that it would slip over the stock exhaust pipe, and the rest of the installation went smoothly. I've had it on the Jeep for about a month and a half now and I like it a lot. I think it looks and sounds great.
jeep_wrangler_3.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: