MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you're getting my post. People start talking about how the JL is so much more than a JK when it's really not. Sure they are giving you features you could have declined in the JK but still. Have you ever seen a Jeep on a lot with out the connectivity Group? I haven't! Sure if you want a bare bones JK Willys then, by all means, get one. For people that want a Rubicon, the cost difference isn't so black and white. I found it was pretty easy to get below invoice on a JL from several local dealers.
There's no blanket answer for everyone, it all depends on what you want out of your Wrangler. While it's true that buying a JK(U) off the lot means taking on some options you probably don't want, I lucked out on mine and got everything I wanted, with only one feature (remote start) that I didn't care about. If would be really nice if you could still custom-order a JK(U) right now, though. With respect to getting below invoice on a JL, you certainly can, even with a few dealers here in Denver, but you're talking 1% - 2% below invoice on a much higher invoice price (in most cases, at least), most of which gets wiped out by the dealer fee. On my JK transaction, I accepted the dealer's 5% below invoice advertised price, because they have to include the dealer fee in that price by law here in Colorado, and then I hit them for the top end of the highest-available guide price I could find (NADA) on my trade-in. I thereby ended up with a true 6%-below-invoice deal, with no dealer fees or travel costs subtracted.
Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Congrats on the new jeep Scott!
LOL after reading some replies, the thread title should be "A Guide to Hating JK's and Mocking Anybody Who Buys One".

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Whatever you do, DO NOT drive or ride in a JL now. #buyersremorse
Have you driven both? I test drove a JLU Rubi and it rode like shit. Suspension was stiff and harsh, the steering reacted funny, and the wheel constantly seesawed back and forth.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations Scott ! You thought it through and made your choice . No matter what these JK haters say you still bought a Jeep ! ...Hell half the Haters came from a JK !! " shame on you guys " . If he traded in his JK for a Prius or mini van than YES I can see him get " Voted off the Island " .

I feel no matter what year Jeep your driving , your still driving an American Icon and that sits OK with me

Jeep on Brother !!!

Big wave back atchya !!

Sponsored

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Congratulations Scott ! You thought it through and made your choice . No matter what these JK haters say you still bought a Jeep ! ...Hell half the Haters came from a JK !! " shame on you guys " . If he traded in his JK for a Prius or mini van than YES I can see him get " Voted off the Island " .

I feel no matter what year Jeep your driving , your still driving an American Icon and that sits OK with me

Jeep on Brother !!!

Big wave back atchya !!
I probably shouldn't admit this but I let my wife trade her 2012 2 door Rubi in on a hybrid (at least it was an American one!) I've been waiting a long time for these JL's to replace it. Please don't kick me off the island!!

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Congrats on the new jeep Scott!
LOL after reading some replies, the thread title should be "A Guide to Hating JK's and Mocking Anybody Who Buys One".
I know, right?

I’m pretty close to closing on a brand new fresh from Toledo JK 2 door Willy’s W - a little bit of a drive, but nearly 5k off with plenty of extras, Automatic, power convenience group, hard top, LED lights, towing, etc.

It’ll be my first Wrangler and after much back and forth about the JL, for me, it just makes sense going with tried and true versus untested in the real world.

He’s got some JL’s on the lot there in Wilkes Barre PA ( about 75 miles from me) so I’ll definitely take a close up look while I’m there.

Considering the quantity of YJ and TJ wranglers I see all the time, I’m not too worried about becoming “outdated “. On any given day I see more JK’s than anything else and I’ve yet to witness an actual JL out and about.

Last edited:

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Congrats on your purchase enjoy your JK!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I know, right?

I’m pretty close to closing on a brand new fresh from Toledo JK 2 door Willy’s W - a little bit of a drive, but nearly 5k off with plenty of extras, Automatic, power convenience group, hard top, LED lights, towing, etc.

It’ll be my first Wrangler and after much back and forth about the JL, for me, it just makes sense going with tried and true versus untested in the real world.

He’s got some JL’s on the lot there in Wilkes Barre PA ( about 75 miles from me) so I’ll definitely take a close up look while I’m there.

Considering the quantity of YJ and TJ wranglers I see all the time, I’m not too worried about becoming “outdated “. On any given day I see more JK’s than anything else and I’ve yet to witness an actual JL out and about.
Good post.

I do find it hilarious that some members here are acting like its ridiculous to buy a JK now....... when it was still the newest thing just three months ago. The unproven tech thing worries me a bit.. my build is 30 grand, and that's triple what I've ever paid for a vehicle. I want it to work properly for half a decade, which isn't a big ask from any other brand.

As I've said elsewhere, the $3,700 price hike is brutal. If I could still custom factory order a JK I would. If I want new and custom, I gotta go JL, so here's hoping it's worth it, and that the vehicle doesn't ruin my life in some kind of unreliable way.

Any JK buyer taking flak from elitist JL early adopters can give them a big fat Jeep Wave when they pass their broken down brand new unproven Jeep

trolololol

Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
"unproven tech" might be new to the Wrangler but has been in other FCA vehicles for years, there's absolutely nothing new about it.

Its a drastic change because JK was the most outdated FCA vehicle built to this day....if that makes any sense. Prices kept going up but we never really got anything new until JL

I'm not knocking the JK, its a great vehicle. Just seems like JL offers more then some can handle lol

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
Hey thanks for your sound review. I enjoy all the hype around new models, the Mustang Bullitt comes to mind as well. Once I figured out I don't fit in the new JLUR, saddens my local salesperson greatly, I have been looking at remaining JKR Recons and watching the discounts. I enjoy the fun of the hunt! LOL!

OP
OP
MrJeepNut

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey thanks for your sound review. I enjoy all the hype around new models, the Mustang Bullitt comes to mind as well. Once I figured out I don't fit in the new JLUR, saddens my local salesperson greatly, I have been looking at remaining JKR Recons and watching the discounts. I enjoy the fun of the hunt! LOL!
Cheap Recons are an awesome thing, aren't they! :rock: I enjoyed the hunt also. Watch closely, then pounce when you find the right one.

OP
OP
MrJeepNut

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and you might want to wait a week or so and see if this JK-rebate-at-the-end-of-March rumor turns out to be real. I kinda doubt it, though.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Good post.

I do find it hilarious that some members here are acting like its ridiculous to buy a JK now....... when it was still the newest thing just three months ago. The unproven tech thing worries me a bit.. my build is 30 grand, and that's triple what I've ever paid for a vehicle. I want it to work properly for half a decade, which isn't a big ask from any other brand.

As I've said elsewhere, the $3,700 price hike is brutal. If I could still custom factory order a JK I would. If I want new and custom, I gotta go JL, so here's hoping it's worth it, and that the vehicle doesn't ruin my life in some kind of unreliable way.

Any JK buyer taking flak from elitist JL early adopters can give them a big fat Jeep Wave when they pass their broken down brand new unproven Jeep

trolololol
If you're worried about the "unproven tech" you could always buy an extended warranty at the dealership. Shouldn't be too much extra to buy an extended 5yr/100k year warranty.

As for the JK vs JL thing, I think the $3700 is more than worth all the upgrades you're getting. Keep in mind the JK is on a TEN YEAR OLD PLATFORM. The new one is basically improved on everything. $3700 over a 60 month finance is only an extra $62 a month for a brand new platform.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.