MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Since the JL pricing numbers started trickling out back in December, a number of forum members, including myself, have been debating the question "is the JL worth the extra money?". The initial pricing that was announced back in December put me on the fence-- I wasn't sure which way I would go. The recent increases in base price plus destination charge finally pushed me over the edge, however. I decided it was time to take serious look at the 2018 JK lineup, and do a side-by-side comparison against the JL.

One of the nice things about the 2018 JK is that special editions are already available, and a couple of the 2018 special editions have some option combinations that I really like. When I searched for these packages in my local area (Denver), I found some surprisingly low prices on JKUs that had all the options I wanted, and very few options I didn't want. I picked out the one I liked best (a Freedom Edition), and headed to the dealer to do some test drives.

Since I had already taken a very short test drive in a JLU when they first started hitting the lots, I decided to drive the JKU first. My 2014 JKU was also a Freedom Edition, so the appearance was very familiar, but they've added a few new features that distinguish it quite a bit from the vanilla Sport upon which it is based: Granite Crystal wheels, Goodyear Wranger Silent Armor tires, an HD diff cover, and most importantly: tubular rock rails, a steel, winch-ready bumper in the front, and a steel bumper in the rear. Options included Max Tow package, auto trans, Trak-Lok rear diff, black hard top, and remote start, which brought the sticker price to $38,520. The asking price was $35,101, which is about 5% under invoice.

I don't know if it was just the newness of the car, but the 2018 felt smoother to me than my 2014, and maybe a bit quieter. The doors opened and closed more precisely also. Outside of that, as you might expect, there was not much difference from the 2014.

I then moved on the a JLU Sahara for my next test drive. Now I realize that comparing a Sport-based JK against a JL Sahara isn't really fair, but I feel that with the body-colored flares, fancy wheels, and leather interior, the JK Freedom is pretty much on par with the JK Sahara, maybe better, for my purposes, at least. I crawled around the JL Sahara quite a bit, and of course loved everything I saw. The new interior is sweet, and the new grille and fender flares are an improvement on the outside. The sticker on this Sahara had fallen off into the back seat, but I found it and took a look: $49,600. I asked the salesperson if they were dealing at all on the JLs-- he said no, pretty much sticker price at this point. That's on par with what I've heard other dealers in the Denver area, i.e. they're selling like hotcakes at sticker price. A few dealers are advertising small discounts in the $1k - $2K range, but how much does that help on a $50K vehicle? If I were going to go JL, I wouldn't order one off the lot, but my trusty spreadsheet tells me that my minimally-acceptable set of Sahara options still tallies to about $45K. So I'm looking at $35K for the JK versus $45K for the JL. Is it worth it? Hell no! I didn't even do the JL test drive, I just bought the JK on the spot.

Here is the result of my afternoon's work:

IMG_4348.JPG
Sponsored

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Is it worth it? Hell no! I didn't even do the JL test drive, I just bought the JK on the spot.

Here is the result of my afternoon's work:

IMG_4348.JPG
Whatever you do, DO NOT drive or ride in a JL now. #buyersremorse

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Haha brutal

Sponsored

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
Sounds like 5 paragraphs of excuses for not buying what you really wanted. I toyed back and forth just settling for a JK because I didn't want to wait for my 2-Door, but it all came back to that I can wait another month or so to get my dream Wrangler with my specs that I want.

I do however, seriously, hope you're happy with your purchase! It is beautiful.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
If you can get 5% under invoice on JL, should get much more then that on JK, but makes sense if you didnt want to go out of your way and travel.

Congrans your Oscar Mike 2.0 lol

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It's a reasonable choice. Curious why you would replace the 2014 at all, though. That is a pretty recent Jeep and the 2018 JK is basically the same vehicle. Why not just put a little money into your existing Jeep?

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It's a reasonable choice. Curious why you would replace the 2014 at all, though. That is a pretty recent Jeep and the 2018 JK is basically the same vehicle. Why not just put a little money into your existing Jeep?
I 2nd this! I traded in my 2015 JKUR for a new JL but never would have traded it in for another JK. It's all the changes in the new JL that persuaded me to make the jump, still waiting patiently for my order!

However, enjoy your new Jeep. Love to get the new feeling back and the smell of course.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Agreed, we would have never traded our 14JKU for an 18JKU, same vehicle and it had plenty of life left...... the JL just is leaps and bounds better, feels so much more purposely built.... loved our JK, but wouldn’t go back.

The other thing to consider, sales guys are pushing the JK hard, any inventory left has to go and they arent getting factory support in terms of a rebate etc..... JLs are selling really well, they are discounting them too, but if you appear to be on the fence they are more likely going to sell you that JK as they arent concerned with having a JL sit around.

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
You could have easily gotten a JL at 5% under invoice, but as long as you're happy with your purchase that's all that matters.

When I was comparing prices and seeing everyone complain I did a little spreadsheet on an 18 JLUR vs an 18 JKUR. When I took the standard options into account the JLUR won hands down on value. Even with the new price increase the JLUR still wins. This spreadsheet doesn't even put a value on the ability to run 35s stock with the factory lift, and the upgraded axles.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 9.29.15 AM.png

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Congrats, you can't go wrong with either a JK or JL, you can get the JK now, if I were to get a JLUR off the lot I'm looking at paying MSRP, which would be around $55k OTD and you know your going to have issues with it being the first model year.

I'm still waiting for my JLUR, I did get 5% under invoice, but I had to buy it out of state and I'm still waiting for it.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Sounds like 5 paragraphs of excuses for not buying what you really wanted. I toyed back and forth just settling for a JK because I didn't want to wait for my 2-Door, but it all came back to that I can wait another month or so to get my dream Wrangler with my specs that I want.

I do however, seriously, hope you're happy with your purchase! It is beautiful.
I don't know, seems like the buyer went through some pluses/minuses and came to a decision. There is psychology at play among JL buyers as well, who might need to convince themselves why a JK that was great fun last summer, is now inadequate and simply must be replaced with a JL. The way some people talk, you would think the JK is a horse drawn carriage. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.