Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Did the deed yesterday and took about 8-10 hrs 😩now I see why detailers make what they do, I did a full exterior/interior which included cleaning upholstery, carpet and engine bay, I did a test panel first using the white LC pad but had to go to orange for the hood and roof as they were the worst and then followed up with a white and green LC pads, used the G9 for the bulk of the work and the G8 for like the grill, A frames and all the smaller stuff.

I will say for a budget friendly polishers these things rock, the 3” is a demon and the 6” is a work horse

I learned a lot this time out and had time to look at my steps last night and realized I lost a lot of time jumping between polishers and that was my fault as I swapped at each panel if needed and next time I will just doing the whole vehicle with the 6” and then do the small stuff with the 3” that way I’m not jumping back and fourth.

I also am not sure my vehicle warranted the 3 pads for correction actually 4 if you count the polish pad (orange, white, green, black) I know the black has no cut.

If a professional detailer we’re to look at my job they would likely cringe but I’m very pleased with how it turned out as most of the imperfections are gone (hood and roof were the worst) my biggest setback was my head kept telling me to run the buffer fast over the areas and I kept catching myself doing it and slowed down, I’m sure I still went to fast so I need to work on my technique more but the equipment and products seem solid.

For those interested here were my steps.

Power stripped the windows using Invisible Glass Stripper with the G8 and green LC pad
Wash wheels/tires/wells (simple green and brush with Megs Hot Rims G9524)
Wash Jeep top to bottom with separate chamois that were used on wheels (2 washes)
Dry with blower

Clay bar with Megs Poly Clay including roof
Used Griots G9 and G8 with LC Smart Pads (Orange, White, Green) along with 3D One
**Was thinking white pad was fine but did a test and needed the orange for hood and roof**

**Note to self: I swapped polishers during every section if needed and lost time and figured out after that if I had used the 6” for the bulk of work and did the whole Jeep then went to the 3” for all the smaller stuff I would have saved a lot of time

After the 3D One I went back and looked for what I missed and did do some touch up, I was amazed at how bad the roof was as the pad was dirty when done as I saved the roof for last.

Wiped down entire vehicle using Megs 34 Final Insp.

Applied the 3D Poxy with a no cut black LC pad and let it sit as directed while I dressed the wheels, tires and wells using 303 Protectant and Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax and did one initial cleaning of glass

After about an hour I wiped off the 3D Poxy and switched to clean pads and applied the Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax G200416 and pretty much went right behind after applying and wiped off then went on to starting on interior and that took a few hours as after lightly shampooing the seat upholstery i applied 303 Protectant and just used some Mothers interior cleaner.

My final LSP if you call it that was after the exterior of going thru a modified one step correction if you call it that as I used the 3D One as it’s a diminishing polish based on what pads are used I cleaned all side glass again using rain x glass cleaner and regular glass cleaner on front/back glass and applied Aquapel Glass Treatment to front and back glass then after one final walk around I applied Megs Hybrid Ceramic Detailer G200526.

Today is relax day as I’m worn out from doing this and yard work the day before, big thanks goes out to lots who advised on a lot of do’s and don‘ts but a real big thanks goes out to @Chocolate Thunder

Anyway here are pics

Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 37F2D324-DDC6-476D-BD7B-4936CE54188A
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 4B8B08C2-64E4-4CB3-8348-438DA2398D36
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing B569384F-292D-41D1-A16B-D06814C11A8F
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 4C249E0B-3CCA-4C52-9828-1ED33F349E3F
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 28DEB1AF-FBCE-491C-AAED-7257A59E125F
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 9BDC9194-D0CD-4F83-9D7C-B686F7339096
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing F3715EBE-FA6D-4464-9F15-A9C48EAD6AB1
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 3DC593FB-C71D-4758-BFAD-ADCAC0AD027C
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 6DAF969A-0DAA-4196-86C7-16E9BC580DB2
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 0982317D-BB9A-4030-BB0D-BBDC3E47F4FE
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 3669A5F4-5C60-4F5D-A37B-DF7DC39F9F15
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 000EC18B-AF95-4EF6-A317-47634C358A67
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 0B7ED92B-6BAA-4AFE-910A-96B544F867C2
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing DDD3F573-CE91-48B3-A0F6-13B8CFEE3F20
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing 557E7C66-2326-4573-BF6D-084B4EA0EE03
Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing E6946B20-2B64-4F82-9ED1-3DD66EBF6C2F
Sponsored

Last edited:

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Looks fantastic. I seem to have mine dirty the next weekend after cleaning mine and I am not doing anywhere near a good a job as you did.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Good LAWD. As a father of two teenagers, I'd just simply like to have 8-10 hours of free time...

Very nice detailing work.
I have four, but they seem to sequester themselves to their rooms a lot. But I don't have that type of free time either. Amazing job by the OP and it looks incredible.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Looks awesome! Ill never do it lol. My deep clean lasts less than 2 hours. However I do under body and under hood stuff during other cleaning sessions.

BTW, I see you have a Genesis dual battery kit. I just ordered this with the Full River AGM batteries and need to get some input on a battery charger type. I have a commercial grade battery charger that'll charge any size battery except it's not AGM compatible and I have a deep cycle battery charger/maintainer which is also not AGM compatible. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome! Ill never do it lol. My deep clean lasts less than 2 hours. However I do under body and under hood stuff during other cleaning sessions.

BTW, I see you have a Genesis dual battery kit. I just ordered this with the Full River AGM batteries and need to get some input on a battery charger type. I have a commercial grade battery charger that'll charge any size battery except it's not AGM compatible and I have a deep cycle battery charger/maintainer which is also not AGM compatible. Any suggestions?
Well if you have time read thru this, kinda long but my OCD drives me, I use a Odyssey 20 once a month for a conditioning change and then I have a NOCO 10 hanging on the wall and use if if my Jeep is gonna be parked for a few days.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ll-by-tank-customs-and-charger-testing.61493/

All batteries have a life cycle but you know those Full Rover are pricy so I contacted them and we discussed what their batteries needed based on the charging curve of the 750’s

If you have one of those non smart chargers you should go by there curve on charging

Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing C8B98264-7BA4-4F1A-A0BC-9B4CB157F628

one needs to look on the amp rating to amp output and it needs to be in the .020-.035 amps of the total amps of the batteries, by using one thats matched to the batteries you will get the maximum benefit by first not pulling down the charge to the 85% range and there are on so many cycles but a good smart charger usually have program built into it that analyzes the batteries health and adjust the charge accordingly.

The above is where I have made mistakes by just grabbing any charger from using a fixed one thats not adjustable to a trickle charger, I know lots using those motorcycle 2 amp ones but those will kill a batteries life in the long run they just don’t have enough amp output to keep a battery healthy of the size batteries we have but they are however good to put on batteries that are already at peak charge And it’s just as bad going oversized and the higher amps AGM batteries don’t like as those tend to kick out above 14.5 volts

Last edited:

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Well if you have time read thru this, kinda long but my OCD drives me, I use a Odyssey 20 once a month for a conditioning change and then I have a NOCO 10 hanging on the wall and use if if my Jeep is gonna be parked for a few days.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ll-by-tank-customs-and-charger-testing.61493/

All batteries have a life cycle but you know those Full Rover are pricy so I contacted them and we discussed what their batteries needed based on the charging curve of the 750’s

If you have one of those non smart chargers you should go by there curve on charging

Jeep Wrangler JL Made a day of Detailing C8B98264-7BA4-4F1A-A0BC-9B4CB157F628

one needs to look on the amp rating to amp output and it needs to be in the .020-.035 amps of the total amps of the batteries, by using one thats matched to the batteries you will get the maximum benefit by first not pulling down the charge to the 85% range and there are on so many cycles but a good smart charger usually have program built into it that analyzes the batteries health and adjust the charge accordingly.

The above is where I have made mistakes by just grabbing any charger from using a fixed one thats not adjustable to a trickle charger, I know lots using those motorcycle 2 amp ones but those will kill a batteries life in the long run they just don’t have enough amp output to keep a battery healthy of the size batteries we have but they are however good to put on batteries that are already at peak charge And it’s just as bad going oversized and the higher amps AGM batteries don’t like as those tend to kick out above 14.5 volts
Thanks for the info! Sorry for the tangent on your detailing post.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info! Sorry for the tangent on your detailing post.
No worries Brother..the battery thing really got me going, all the battery and charger makers couldn’t believe FCA put in batteries of dissimilar sizes especially bad when linked together and then after going to the Genesis system it took me some to wrap my head around IBS system I dived into that design, if you get really bored you can read this I did, kinda like the battery chargers

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/my-testing-of-the-ibs-ibm-system.79412/

Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Looks like you still need to take a toothbrush to the tire tread. Kidding of course! Impressive. I wasn't expecting the under hood shot. I always appreciate a good clean engine bay.

I have some pretty severe OCDs about car cleanliness, but surprisingly I don't mind the Jeep dirty. But dust on the Corvette drives me insane!

Reactions: MOC

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
That's a gorgeous job you did on a DIY Detailing Scale. Being used to owning more compact cars, I am anxious detailing my own Rig that will be much larger that what I have owned in the past. Plus cleaning thru the exposed areas when the Top is off, is a whole other story to think about.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the thanks Gentlemen, its far from perfect as I had some good scratches on the hood and some of the deeper ones are still there so I may have to go another round on the hood but I don’t want to start getting involved in clear coat thickness gages so maybe just work the 3D One a little harder on the orange LC pad and that would not take long but since I have a new two layer protection on it I may see how long it holds up and do it the next time I apply a polish .