Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Just came across this thread and looked up my Sports info and surprise surprise I have the anti-slip with a Dana M220 rear axle. Thought since I drove off the lot that I had a 30/35 diffs. Going to have to send back some parts since I ordered through my parts friend for a M210 rear axle. Hope there won’t big too much of a difference in price for the driveshaft and gears.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I totally received the same thing! This is amazing but I'm not completely sure what this all means. I went to the FCA lookup link and typed in my VIN. It says I have a Dana M220 Rear Axle and a Dana M186 Front axle with "Conventional Diff"

What does this mean?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I totally received the same thing! This is amazing but I'm not completely sure what this all means. I went to the FCA lookup link and typed in my VIN. It says I have a Dana M220 Rear Axle and a Dana M186 Front axle with "Conventional Diff"

What does this mean?
Front axle is a Dana 30 with open differential and the rear is a Dana 44 with a limited slip differential.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Sponsored

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure, I really hope you don't have any issues but at least you know what to listen for.
I didn’t see you on the thread parts I read. Did it happen to you? What year JL do you have? It may be something that takes some miles to develop. I wonder if the dealer would open it up and look on my first oil change to get ahead of it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with the rear LSD: no issues whatsoever.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I didn’t see you on the thread parts I read. Did it happen to you? What year JL do you have? It may be something that takes some miles to develop. I wonder if the dealer would open it up and look on my first oil change to get ahead of it.
Nope, I have the 35, I was looking at doing a swap until people started having problems so I decided against it. I've moved on now, I don't trust any axle built by Dana to FCA specifications, just emailed Dynatrac to arrange a set of 60's. We know that Jeep was aware of a widespread problem, they stopped offering the M220 with limited slip for awhile. Did your also come with limited slip? If so, hopefully they re-engineered the design, I can't imagine them reintroducing it without a fix.

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Front axle is a Dana 30 with open differential and the rear is a Dana 44 with a limited slip differential.
I thought I saw you earlier on the thread. Did you run into issues with your rear m220? If so what mileage did it happen and what year is yours?
I wonder why they gave me this huge axle with limited slip without me asking or paying for it???

Sponsored

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, I have the 35, I was looking at doing a swap until people started having problems so I decided against it. I've moved on now, I don't trust any axle built by Dana to FCA specifications, just emailed Dynatrac to arrange a set of 60's. We know that Jeep was aware of a widespread problem, they stopped offering the M220 with limited slip for awhile. Did your also come with limited slip? If so, hopefully they re-engineered the design, I can't imagine them reintroducing it without a fix.
I do not have limited slip but I do have the m220 axle on the build sheet. I hope they corrected it as well. I just bought this in May of 2020.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I do not have limited slip but I do have the m220 axle on the build sheet. I hope they corrected it as well. I just bought this in May of 2020.
Apparently things have changed, you used to only be able to get the 220 with limited slip on Sport models with tow package no option for non-limited slip. Seems like the limited slip diff was the most common cause of the problems people were having. If yours doesn't have limited slip I think you will probably be fine.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I saw you earlier on the thread. Did you run into issues with your rear m220? If so what mileage did it happen and what year is yours?
I wonder why they gave me this huge axle with limited slip without me asking or paying for it???
I've had no trouble with mine. Its a 2018, built in the first month of JLU assembly.

Is yours an order or did you buy off the lot?

Edit: If yours has a manual transmission it should come with the D44/M220 axle regardless of limited slip or not.

Last edited:

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've had no trouble with mine. Its a 2018, built in the first month of JLU assembly.

Is yours an order or did you buy off the lot?

Edit: It yours has a manual transmission it should come with the D44/M220 axle regardless of limited slip or not.
I bought it off the lot. It's an auto with the turbo. Just found out that is has the anti slip and dana 44 rear. I guess I will just listen and wait....??? Its only got 4k miles

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I bought it off the lot. It's an auto with the turbo. Just found out that is has the anti slip and dana 44 rear. I guess I will just listen and wait....??? Its only got 4k miles
Ah okay. I'd just keep an ear open but I don't think you should have any troubles with the limited slip diff, unless you're working it all the time.
Sponsored