Sponsored

M200 upgrade to 32 spline locking differential and axles.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Recently went with front and rear manual cable Ox lockers on my CJ-7 with Dana 44 Axles from a Scout.

The Ox locker cable design is setup such that the cable must be working for the locker to engage (i.e., fail safe position is to free wheel the diff).

Jeep Wrangler JL M200 upgrade to 32 spline locking differential and axles. IMG_0379

Jeep Wrangler JL M200 upgrade to 32 spline locking differential and axles. OX Installed 3

Jeep Wrangler JL M200 upgrade to 32 spline locking differential and axles. IMG_7975.JPG

Anyway, really like Ox Lockers
Sponsored

DailyDouble

First Name
Niles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
just want to say thanks again for this thread! I just did the same setup on mine.. hooked the locker to S- tech switch bank, looks like stock =), couldn't be happier.

I would mention also, for anyone doing this. i did a regear at the same time to 4.56 and the labor cost was barely different then just a regear.. I think 200 more. it was a really cost effective way to do things if you can pony up the scratch for all at once.

I havn't got a chance to go out yet.. will be a bit. have to break in the new gears. Hopefully everything works great in the long run.. will update after some wheelin.

shout out to Rock Bottom Offroad in riverside CA, awesome to deal with.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
just want to say thanks again for this thread! I just did the same setup on mine.. hooked the locker to S- tech switch bank, looks like stock =), couldn't be happier.

I would mention also, for anyone doing this. i did a regear at the same time to 4.56 and the labor cost was barely different then just a regear.. I think 200 more. it was a really cost effective way to do things if you can pony up the scratch for all at once.

I havn't got a chance to go out yet.. will be a bit. have to break in the new gears. Hopefully everything works great in the long run.. will update after some wheelin.

shout out to Rock Bottom Offroad in riverside CA, awesome to deal with.
Iā€™ve still not gotten out to test mine. Iā€™m making a lot of changes and slowly getting there. I look forward to your opinion on it.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My electric actuated/cable Ox locker worked perfectly last week. I didnā€™t wait to have traction issues to engage it when it was mostly straight movements. No traction issues up a 33Ā° rocky hill or in a mud trough I had to go through. These tires are great too so far so thereā€™s that factor to consider. Works as advertised.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I did add 4.56 gears July ā€˜21 to get eighth gear back on the highway and also for the added performance.

I wish I had the money to buy the parts for the gear swap when I did the locker install as the labor would have barely been more but I didnā€™t. I also didnā€™t get my taller tires until the following April and it was quickly apparent a regear would be best.

Sponsored

blackwell32

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
A 32 spline (the same as a Rubicon) electric locker anybody? The stock spline count is 29.
https://ox-usa.com/home/718-dana-30.html

Given the axle tubes are the same wall thickness as the Rubicons but at a shorter length, it should be a strong differential/axle setup compared to stock. Thatā€™s also assuming the ring gear diameter and pinion deflection isnā€™t a potential issue for anything but mostly a rock crawler.

Iā€™m sure there are others who have beat on their M200 that could compare but YouTube channel and rock crawlers JL Life OffRoad looks like they were rough on theirs. I know Heathen had 35ā€™s earlier this year, they went to 37ā€™s, and then not long ago found twisted axle shafts. They then found what they believed to be evidence of a bent axle tube, a seal leak, so they upgraded both axles.

My thinking is I wonā€™t be hitting the gas like they did, will run 35ā€™s or less, and the ring and pinion wasnā€™t the problem on Heathen and they had installed lower gears which lessens tooth contact so more force is going through one pinion tooth at a time with no more than 1.x touching at any given time. Now, if one upgrades the axle shafts, then the weak point could become the ring and pinion is my thinking. I guess weā€™ll see.

If I can get the axle shafts in the correct length, I think Iā€™ll move forward on the 32 spline M200 Ox electric locker soon along with the 32 spline axle shafts.
I know this has been awhile ago but I have been looking at OX lockers as well. I have a sports s with the m186 front and m200 in the rear. Is this what you had and just upgraded the axle shafts to an m220?

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I know this has been awhile ago but I have been looking at OX lockers as well. I have a sports s with the m186 front and m200 in the rear. Is this what you had and just upgraded the axle shafts to an m220?
In addition to the gear swap and 32 spline Ox locker install (stock is 29 or 30), I added RCVā€™s up front for strength & a tighter turning radius without the ā€œskip ā€œ while in 4WD and Yukon ā€œStandard widthā€ M220 forged axles out back.

On the Wide version M220(like an everyday Rubicon has, .750ā€ longer per side) the axles are unequal length. The standard width M220 has the same length axle shaft on both sides as a M200. Even the axle tube bearings and seals are the same on the M220 as the M200. A tech line guy at Randyā€™s Worldwide informed me of that before I did all this. It was great to hear but I did go ahead with a full rebuild though to start completely fresh and keep the shop from blaming other parts since they did everything in the event issues popped up.

blackwell32

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
In addition to the gear swap and 32 spline Ox locker install (stock is 29 or 30), I added RCVā€™s up front for strength & a tighter turning radius without the ā€œskip ā€œ while in 4WD and Yukon ā€œStandard widthā€ M220 forged axles out back.

On the Wide version M220(like an everyday Rubicon has, .750ā€ longer per side) the axles are unequal length. The standard width M220 has the same length axle shaft on both sides as a M200. Even the axle tube bearings and seals are the same on the M220 as the M200. A tech line guy at Randyā€™s Worldwide informed me of that before I did all this. It was great to hear but I did go ahead with a full rebuild though to start completely fresh and keep the shop from blaming other parts since they did everything in the event issues popped up.
Thanks. I may be looking to go this route as well as buying rubi take offs is a bit expensive. Know I can but the standard length M220 shafts and put them in my M200 and the beef up the front my be the route to go. (And hopefully my think above is what you are taking about. Lol) thanks for the response.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks. I may be looking to go this route as well as buying rubi take offs is a bit expensive. Know I can but the standard length M220 shafts and put them in my M200 and the beef up the front my be the route to go. (And hopefully my think above is what you are taking about. Lol) thanks for the response.
I am aware though that itā€™s likely the weak point, front and back, moves to the pinion.

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Did you go with the FAD delete RCVs upfront ?
Ultimate Dana 30 Axle CV Set for Jeep Wrangler JL 1-Piece (rcvperformance.com)
or did you use a version that supports FAD

Wondering how the FAD delete version performs - esp if it makes the axle the weak point rather than the shaft

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I basically want to do the exact same setup. RCV front axle, I havenā€™t decided on which one, the FAD delete or the one that keeps it in tact. Also looking at 32 spline Chromoly rear axle shafts, not sure Iā€™ll go to the ox locker right off the bat as so far Iā€™ve never needed a locker. Mainly just forest service roads couple times a month and camping trips when we can get out. The only differences are I plan on adding Reid Knuckles and Dynatrac HD Ball Joints regearing to 4.88 and adding a set of lightweight c rated 37ā€ bfg ko2ā€™s. I know everyone freaks out when you say your going to put 37ā€™s on the d30/35 but I donā€™t really care for rock crawling and Iā€™m sure with this setup and what my uses are it will be just fine. Currently Iā€™m on stock gearing (sucks!!) with a set of Toyo at3ā€™s in 285/75 c rated and 59lbs a tire, moving to the bfg will only add about 6lbs per tire. Oh and my Jeep is the 2.0t. Any thoughts or recommendations on fad or fad delete for the front and which axle for the rear?
Iā€™m currently looking at these

https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/2018_2022_jeep_non_rubicon_m220_rear_axles_d44

Thanks!

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I basically want to do the exact same setup. RCV front axle, I havenā€™t decided on which one, the FAD delete or the one that keeps it in tact. Also looking at 32 spline Chromoly rear axle shafts, not sure Iā€™ll go to the ox locker right off the bat as so far Iā€™ve never needed a locker. Mainly just forest service roads couple times a month and camping trips when we can get out. The only differences are I plan on adding Reid Knuckles and Dynatrac HD Ball Joints regearing to 4.88 and adding a set of lightweight c rated 37ā€ bfg ko2ā€™s. I know everyone freaks out when you say your going to put 37ā€™s on the d30/35 but I donā€™t really care for rock crawling and Iā€™m sure with this setup and what my uses are it will be just fine. Currently Iā€™m on stock gearing (sucks!!) with a set of Toyo at3ā€™s in 285/75 c rated and 59lbs a tire, moving to the bfg will only add about 6lbs per tire. Oh and my Jeep is the 2.0t. Any thoughts or recommendations on fad or fad delete for the front and which axle for the rear?
Iā€™m currently looking at these

https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/2018_2022_jeep_non_rubicon_m220_rear_axles_d44

Thanks!
Iā€™ll keep the FAD as long as I can. RCV guarantees their axle shafts up to 37ā€ tires on the M186.

It might be simple thinking but if Toyotas can manage with just a rear locker and no disconnect up front (even less traction than a flexing Jeep) then for what I want to do, my setup should do it all.