Sponsored

M200 upgrade to 32 spline locking differential and axles.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
A 32 spline (the same as a Rubicon) electric locker anybody? The stock spline count is 29.
https://ox-usa.com/home/718-dana-30.html

Given the axle tubes are the same wall thickness as the Rubicons but at a shorter length, it should be a strong differential/axle setup compared to stock. That’s also assuming the ring gear diameter and pinion deflection isn’t a potential issue for anything but mostly a rock crawler.

I’m sure there are others who have beat on their M200 that could compare but YouTube channel and rock crawlers JL Life OffRoad looks like they were rough on theirs. I know Heathen had 35’s earlier this year, they went to 37’s, and then not long ago found twisted axle shafts. They then found what they believed to be evidence of a bent axle tube, a seal leak, so they upgraded both axles.

My thinking is I won’t be hitting the gas like they did, will run 35’s or less, and the ring and pinion wasn’t the problem on Heathen and they had installed lower gears which lessens tooth contact so more force is going through one pinion tooth at a time with no more than 1.x touching at any given time. Now, if one upgrades the axle shafts, then the weak point could become the ring and pinion is my thinking. I guess we’ll see.

If I can get the axle shafts in the correct length, I think I’ll move forward on the 32 spline M200 Ox electric locker soon along with the 32 spline axle shafts.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I thought there’d be some excitement over this development. :LOL:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I thought there’d be some excitement over this development. :LOL:
There is definitely some interest! It will be good to hear from someone on this forum with personal experience

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I spoke with Randy’s Ring and Pinion/Randy’s Worldwide after asking for help from Yukon, East Coast Gear, Currie, And Moser was out to lunch at the time. They were the only tech support that confidently told me what axle shafts I needed to work with Ox’s new 32 spline locker. You have to order axles for the standard axle length 44/M220 as opposed to axles for the longer (“wide”) Rubicon M220 that, due to the cross pin, has unequal length axle shafts for each side. The optional JL, non-Rubicon, limited slip 44/M220 has equal length axle shafts.

This should have occurred to me to ask about the standard width 44/M220 and made sense right as he said it. He also checked to make sure the bearings etc were all the same part numbers as the stock 29 spline axles for my Sahara’s M200 which they were.

The axles needed are at Randy’s Worldwide, part number 21920. They are 4340 chromoly Yukon axles for what he described as “JL Non-Rubicon small bearing axles” for a standard width JL 44/M220.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The parts have arrived and my appointment is set for me to drop the Jeep off next Thursday.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Man i’d love to see how it gets wired up. I want an ox locker for my m220 but it seems that’s gonna take a minute for them to release one.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I dropped the Jeep off. They’ll call when they get to the wiring to give options. I want a simple, cleanly installed, weather resistant switch.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped the Jeep off. They’ll call when they get to the wiring to give options. I want a simple, cleanly installed, weather resistant switch.
Do you know what the wiring/control options will be? Assuming electronic, air and/or manual lever ...

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Do you know what the wiring/control options will be? Assuming electronic, air or manual/cable...
I opted for the electric actuation but air and mechanical cable all the way into the cab are options too. Now, a cable does still run from the differential to the electric actuator and I’ll also need a way to switch the locker on. Another place wanted to do a 4 button Bluetooth controller which is much more than I need. My winch already has that capability. You’d still need a power and ground anyway so it’s still possible points of failure being added but for one thing. With a simple switch, if I have a problem with engaging the locker, I know exactly where to look.

I’ll also have the mechanical backup “Drive Away Tool“ I paid $25 for. You install it in the diff so you can get the locker working again if the actuator fails. I like redundancy. :like:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the electric actuation but air and mechanical cable all the way into the cab are options too. Now, a cable does still run from the differential to the electric actuator and I’ll also need a way to switch the locker on. Another place wanted to do a 4 button Bluetooth controller which is much more than I need. My winch already has that capability. You’d still need a power and ground anyway so it’s still possible points of failure being added but for one thing. With a simple switch, if I have a problem with engaging the locker, I know exactly where to look.

I’ll also have the mechanical backup “Drive Away Tool“ I paid $25 for. You install it in the diff so you can get the locker working again if the actuator fails. I like redundancy. :like:
Sounds like a solid plan! Love the redundancy too :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
They are almost finished. The wiring is run from the back, through the firewall with shielding and shrink wrap at splices. There’s just one more thing to finish and that is the switch itself. They have the wires run to the driver floorboard with about 2’ wire to spare.

Where would you put the switch? I was thinking a panel that could be easily swapped with a new one later in case I change my mind on the location.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Twisted 32 on the left. New 35 on the right. I went with ARB to replace the factory e locker. The ARB required 35 spline and I got mine made at Dutchman Motorsports.

2E613992-620C-4E8C-8059-9E16DCD83296.jpeg

Roadkill

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Freedom Edition
They are almost finished. The wiring is run from the back, through the firewall with shielding and shrink wrap at splices. There’s just one more thing to finish and that is the switch itself. They have the wires run to the driver floorboard with about 2’ wire to spare.

Where would you put the switch? I was thinking a panel that could be easily swapped with a new one later in case I change my mind on the location.
Did you not order your Jeep with the auxiliary switches? That'd be my first choice. If not, can you add the switch to that same location?

Thank you for take a chance on this, I'm super interested and am looking forward to hear what you think about it and how it performs. 👍

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Twisted 32 on the left. New 35 on the right. I went with ARB to replace the factory e locker. The ARB required 35 spline and I got mine made at Dutchman Motorsports.

Jeep Wrangler JL M200 upgrade to 32 spline locking differential and axles. 2E613992-620C-4E8C-8059-9E16DCD83296
I wish it was an option to go 35 spline. I haven’t seen that available for the M200 as of now.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Did you not order your Jeep with the auxiliary switches? That'd be my first choice. If not, can you add the switch to that same location?

Thank you for take a chance on this, I'm super interested and am looking forward to hear what you think about it and how it performs. 👍
I found it on the lot and my circumstances then...I couldn’t be picky with what I was trying to accomplish financially and vehicle-wise. I wish I had it but maybe later.
Sponsored