Sponsored

M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform (STP)-Reviews/Pics?

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Looking to see if any fellow Forum members are running the AAL MASS Spare Tire Platform.

I have a Teraflex Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Carrier (37" spare), and am looking to add some more external storage.

Looks like a solid product, just looking for some real-world reviews/pics. I'm curious how close it comes to the back glass, and if any issue with opening the glass when installed. Seems like there is adjustability when assembling to move the platform away from the glass. I'd like to throw a 3.8 gal Waterport on the platform, that would normally be empty during travel and full before evening/night camping.

https://americanadventurelab.com/product/mass-spare-tire-platform-stp/

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform (STP)-Reviews/Pics? 1677778646424
Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
So I was finally messing around with mine this weekend. Had to install the Rotopax mount, Maxtrax mounts, and a propane bracket. I also have the Teraflex hinge and spare tire mount with 37s.

Your concern about clearance for the rear window is valid. My glass hits the rack currently and won't open but it should be an easy fix. It really depends on your wheel offset/backspacing as well. Since I'm running the AEV Borah wheels, my tire is very close to the tailgate. If you are running the more standard 4.5" backspace wheels, you shouldn't have a problem. I will need to adjust the spare tire bracket out more and it should clear. If not, a small wheel spacer behind the spare should do the trick. I'll mess around with it more in the coming days. Pic to follow.

87E0703B-8687-4F87-94E2-273DEB4F5FEA.jpeg

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So I was finally messing around with mine this weekend. Had to install the Rotopax mount, Maxtrax mounts, and a propane bracket. I also have the Teraflex hinge and spare tire mount with 37s.

Your concern about clearance for the rear window is valid. My glass hits the rack currently and won't open but it should be an easy fix. It really depends on your wheel offset/backspacing as well. Since I'm running the AEV Borah wheels, my tire is very close to the tailgate. If you are running the more standard 4.5" backspace wheels, you shouldn't have a problem. I will need to adjust the spare tire bracket out more and it should clear. If not, a small wheel spacer behind the spare should do the trick. I'll mess around with it more in the coming days. Pic to follow.

Jeep Wrangler JL M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform (STP)-Reviews/Pics? 87E0703B-8687-4F87-94E2-273DEB4F5FEA
Your back window is history if you drop off a ledge that bumps your spare, right? I watched a video yesterday of a stock Bronco going through a ditch where he hit the spare and shattered his rear window.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Sure, I guess that's a risk. There is still a few inches between the rack and window. I think I would have to hit extremely hard to move the tire on the Teraflex mount. I read a tip saying to leave the spare deflated too which will help it absorb any hard impacts possible saving your tailgate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
psucanary

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Thank you for the feedback!

Please keep us updated as to your final adjustment and opening the rear glass, and any unresolved issues with this matter. I watched a review on the Tube and they showed where you can adjust just the shelf out more independent from the "legs", I'm assuming you have that adjustment maxed out.

I too am running AEV wheels (Pintler), so the info you provided is really great..

Thanks again!

-C

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
There is no adjustment in the shelf. It can be installed one way or the other. Meaning it overhangs the front of the tire more vs. the back of the tire. Mine is hanging over the back. So unless AAL has added more holes in recent production or I drill my own, it is where it is. If you don't mind the rack not sitting perfectly level, you could tighten it on the tire so it is leaning toward the rear a bit.

OP
OP
psucanary

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
There is no adjustment in the shelf. It can be installed one way or the other. Meaning it overhangs the front of the tire more vs. the back of the tire. Mine is hanging over the back. So unless AAL has added more holes in recent production or I drill my own, it is where it is. If you don't mind the rack not sitting perfectly level, you could tighten it on the tire so it is leaning toward the rear a bit.

Thanks again for the feedback, huge help!

For clarification, you have the platform "hanging over the back" of the tire (mounting option 1) vs. "handing over the front" of the tire (mounting option 2), assuming you mean the the front of the tire as the outward facing side of the wheel/tire, why not just use the option of hanging the platform over the front facing side of the tire more to gain more clearance for the glass?

I'm betting my feeble mind is misinterpreting what you are saying (and that you already have the platform hanging more off the back), so please don't think I'm questioning you or being a smarta@@, just trying to understand more and if this would work for me.

And I appreciate the real-world pic you provided. Huge help..

Thanks again..!

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Thanks again for the feedback, huge help!

For clarification, you have the platform "hanging over the back" of the tire (mounting option 1) vs. "handing over the front" of the tire (mounting option 2), assuming you mean the the front of the tire as the outward facing side of the wheel/tire, why not just use the option of hanging the platform over the front facing side of the tire more to gain more clearance for the glass?

I'm betting my feeble mind is misinterpreting what you are saying (and that you already have the platform hanging more off the back), so please don't think I'm questioning you or being a smarta@@, just trying to understand more and if this would work for me.

And I appreciate the real-world pic you provided. Huge help..

Thanks again..!
I don't recall which option it was but yes, I have it hanging off the rear of the Jeep more. When I meant "back of the tire" I really meant back of the Jeep. It's definitely an investment so I don't blame you for the questions! That's what we are here for.

F8E6D20B-8BC8-4313-A932-9A15CF38E888.jpeg

OP
OP
psucanary

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't recall which option it was but yes, I have it hanging off the rear of the Jeep more. When I meant "back of the tire" I really meant back of the Jeep. It's definitely an investment so I don't blame you for the questions! That's what we are here for.
Well... it certainly looks great!
And thanks for the clarification and additional photo.

Keep us updated on what solution you settle on for the rear glass contact/spare/rack adjustment.

Sponsored

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Hi!
I’ve got the STP and love it. We’ve used it to travel from Atlanta to Colorado and Utah for wheeling trips.

I’ve made a small tweak to Mount part of my Hi-Lift and it does lean a bit rearward due to that.

I agree that the clearance between the rear glass and the STP is super tight and some rubbing has occurred. I can move the tire out to help that, but as warm weather is just around the corner the soft top will be going on soon anyway.

Jeep Wrangler JL M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform (STP)-Reviews/Pics? CEAAC7D4-5D05-4FE1-B108-FD3B452F40E7
Jeep Wrangler JL M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform (STP)-Reviews/Pics? CD3CBF4A-55A0-4E5F-BF76-BE10CF3F0AFD

OP
OP
psucanary

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi!
I’ve got the STP and love it. We’ve used it to travel from Atlanta to Colorado and Utah for wheeling trips.

I’ve made a small tweak to Mount part of my Hi-Lift and it does lean a bit rearward due to that.

I agree that the clearance between the rear glass and the STP is super tight and some rubbing has occurred. I can move the tire out to help that, but as warm weather is just around the corner the soft top will be going on soon anyway.
Thanks for the review/input, also a HUGE help..

If you (or Sydwaiz) ever get frisky, would love to see a pic of the clearance between the glass and platform; assuming the clearance is only an issue when opening glass..?...

Would love to make this work, could really add some needed exterior space/mounting options when traveling to CO/UT this summer...

Glad to hear its worked out for you!

Thanks again!..

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Thanks for the review/input, also a HUGE help..

If you (or Sydwaiz) ever get frisky, would love to see a pic of the clearance between the glass and platform; assuming the clearance is only an issue when opening glass..?...

Would love to make this work, could really add some needed exterior space/mounting options when traveling to CO/UT this summer...

Glad to hear its worked out for you!

Thanks again!..
I just adjusted my spare tire mount all the way out. The window clears! There is about 3/8" between the glass and rack when I open it. All I care is if it clears and if I can open the window and I can!

OP
OP
psucanary

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just adjusted my spare tire mount all the way out. The window clears! There is about 3/8" between the glass and rack when I open it. All I care is if it clears and if I can open the window and I can!
Awesome to hear!
Well, guess this platform is now an option..

Appreciate the follow-up.
-C