Lug stud length & nut info

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
Don't know if this will be useful to anyone, but thought I'd post some info on the lug stud length.
I recently ordered a set of A/R wheels and I'm not fond of the long, skinny, splined, zinc coated lug nuts that many suppliers are going to.
I wanted to get regular, 6 sided, chrome lug nuts, and a set of locking nuts that would look better than the trailer hitch ball size Mopar set. Wanting them a little shorter than the 2.1" splined nuts, I wanted to double check the length of the lug studs to be sure I don't bottom out the new lug nuts just in case my new wheels were thinner than the stock wheels.

Anyways...Our lug studs are 1.67", or 42.5mm in length (past the brake rotor.)

ln1.jpg

ln3.jpg

ln2.jpg

lnd.jpg
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm using 1.4" long standard hex lug nuts on mine. It's hard to find those for the 14x1.5 studs, but I found some on eBay for around $15 bucks. They fit perfect with my aftermarket wheels and don't stick out too far.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks Carl for that info, looks like I the ones I ordered might just work :) SWEET!

OP
OP
cohocarl

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I'm using 1.4" long standard hex lug nuts on mine.
Another point on the skinny splined nuts is the smaller contact area as compared to the regular hex nuts. It might not be a big deal, but I'd think the larger contact area would be a easier on the wheels.

Attached is another pic showing the depth of the threads on a stock Sport S lug nut, and I held one into the seat of a Sport S wheel and measured the total depth from the bottom of the threads in the lug nut to the inside of the wheel where it would mate to the brake rotor. Again...probably nobody will need those measurements, but that's what I came up with if anyone does.

lugdepth.jpg

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Don't know if this will be useful to anyone, but thought I'd post some info on the lug stud length.
I recently ordered a set of A/R wheels and I'm not fond of the long, skinny, splined, zinc coated lug nuts that many suppliers are going to.
I wanted to get regular, 6 sided, chrome lug nuts, and a set of locking nuts that would look better than the trailer hitch ball size Mopar set. Wanting them a little shorter than the 2.1" splined nuts, I wanted to double check the length of the lug studs to be sure I don't bottom out the new lug nuts just in case my new wheels were thinner than the stock wheels.

Anyways...Our lug studs are 1.67", or 42.5mm in length (past the brake rotor.)

ln1.jpg

ln3.jpg

ln2.jpg

lnd.jpg
GREAT info - I was looking at 1.5” spacers - you saved me some cutting - going to 1.75”

Thanks

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Most wheels have 0.550" or around 1/2" pockets on the back side of the wheel between the lug holes. YMMV.
Sponsored