Lug Nuts for Fuel Covert Wheels?

psuntlion

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Camaro ZL1 1LE, BMW M3, R1250GSA
I'm embarrassed to ask such a NEWB question, but what lug nuts work for aftermarket wheels like the Fuel Coverts I just bought? I put them on with Gorilla 96644BDX lock nuts, but the lugs seem way too snug. I'm hoping I didn't bollox up the wheels.
IMG_9835[1].JPG
IMG_9836[1].JPG
Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I run pretty much the same lock nut on my KMC's. It's a tight fit. Is that center cap ring removable? If so, try removing it, it should help you get it all aligned and then pop the center ring back on once the wheel is installed. That's what I had to do the first time around. Last weekend after beadlock ring torque check and rotation, I managed to not take off the center ring by hand threading and rotating the wheel turning the lug nuts when they were top dead center. Took a little more time that way, but I wasn't in a hurry.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Also.. nice color wheels.

OP
OP
psuntlion

psuntlion

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Camaro ZL1 1LE, BMW M3, R1250GSA
Thanks, @Frezski . Yeah when I put the wheels on for the first time, I realized I needed to get the wheel flush against the hub or the lug nuts would rub up against the center cap. I was able to get them all on, but I’m concerned they’re not seating properly in the holes. I’ll try taking the center caps off to see if that helps.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, @Frezski . Yeah when I put the wheels on for the first time, I realized I needed to get the wheel flush against the hub or the lug nuts would rub up against the center cap. I was able to get them all on, but I’m concerned they’re not seating properly in the holes. I’ll try taking the center caps off to see if that helps.
Glad you got them on. It takes some work that's for sure. They do get heavy trying to get them aligned right. My assumption is that once the lug nuts are seated firmly they should be on the hub properly. Just hand turning them until they were firm, then hit with the impact in the cross pattern. That was my cheat to the KMC's. Probably would be better if I just took off the center ring though. Good luck man, I am sure you're fine!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I got this set that fits great for the Icon wheels we just installed. It took some hunting to get a good deal but really nice quality.

Edit... updating post with proper link:
McGard JL Lug/Lock Set

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you got them on. It takes some work that's for sure. They do get heavy trying to get them aligned right. My assumption is that once the lug nuts are seated firmly they should be on the hub properly. Just hand turning them until they were firm, then hit with the impact in the cross pattern. That was my cheat to the KMC's. Probably would be better if I just took off the center ring though. Good luck man, I am sure you're fine!
Please properly torque your lugs to correct value by hand. Doesn't take that much longer, less likely to deform the seat, and could save you some serious headache if you ever have to change a tire out in the world.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Please properly torque your lugs to correct value by hand. Doesn't take that much longer, less likely to deform the seat, and could save you some serious headache if you ever have to change a tire out in the world.
I totally get it. I just know my impact on the lowest setting doesn't get anywhere near the proper spec value. Once they're on, its all done by hand with the torque wrench.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I totally get it. I just know my impact on the lowest setting doesn't get anywhere near the proper spec value. Once they're on, its all done by hand with the torque wrench.
Understood my friend. With all the new and inexperienced joining our ranks, just didn't want anyone taking an impact and hammering the shit out of them.

Last edited:

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Understood my friend. With all the new and inexperienced joining our ranks, just didn't want anyone taking an impact and hammering the shit out of them.
Not a worry brotha, that's how we all share information and learn!
Sponsored