Lug-centric steel wheels question

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
King of the Hammers is coming up shortly. I suggest you watch every pit stop you can see. Every pit crew has a member dedicated to tightening lug nuts. It's a thing.

Have you ever machined a wheel to fit a wheel hub? Maybe for someone who has raced at the highest levels of off road abuse? Have you ever helped cure the lug nut issue with race teams?

I understand what you're saying. I get what physically happens. I just can't concede to see it your way when I've spent 10 years working with all sorts of wheel issues and have helped cure what you say doesn't exist.
I'm not sure what your pit stop analogy or off-road machining has to do with anything,

The clamping force created by the studs and lug nuts holds the wheel in place. If it's sufficient, the wheel cannot move and thus no (vertical) force can be applied to the centering hub. If the clamping force is not sufficient, the wheel is inclined to move vertically and, yes, I suppose some forces could be applied to that centering hub. But in that case a catastrophic failure is on it's way anyhow. To your point, that's why you have people dedicated to making sure lug nuts are correctly tightened in a pit crew.

It's no accident they are named hub-centric wheels, not hub-sheering or hub-load-bearing. It's a centering method, that's it.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
One thing I think we can all agree on, 130 ft lbs on a 14mm stud is pretty damn good vs. the JK 1/2" 90 ft lb setup :)
Something to be said for having bigger nuts!

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I learned so much from this thread, I can't thank you guys enough.
Sponsored