Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
@MCJA, really appreciate all of your write-ups. You've been awesome and inspirational. Keep it coming!!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
@MCJA, really appreciate all of your write-ups. You've been awesome and inspirational. Keep it coming!!!!
Thanks! I really appreciate that!!

I'm in the process of moving, so it'll be a while before I have anything new. Up next are Rock Slide Engineering step sliders and a custom license plate bracket for the center of my spare.

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy. Hell.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) 20210628_194416

My Jeep was parked in the shade all afternoon before I took this picture. 113 degrees! IN WASHINGTON STATE!!!

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Holy. Hell.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) 20210628_194416

My Jeep was parked in the shade all afternoon before I took this picture. 113 degrees! IN WASHINGTON STATE!!!
Yeah you guys in the PNW are getting beat down right now. Stay cool out there man.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Dash Cam Installation

Well, after a long hiatus, I'm back with more project updates. The whole engine swap debacle and poor dealership experience left me with a sour taste in my mouth. For months. But I'm back in the swing of things!

First up is my dash cam with an auxiliary battery. I looked at dozens of options. There's certainly no lack of dash cams to choose from. I wanted something that recorded in true 4K - to give me the best picture clarity for both safety / security and for recording my offroad adventures. I also wanted something I could mount to my adaptive cruise control (ACC) housing in the middle of my windshield. I wanted to be able to have the camera remain in-place even when I lay down my windshield.

After much consideration and even trying a couple out that just didn't work out for me, I opted for the Blackvue DR900X dual channel. It offers great picture quality, cell phone viewing, the ability to automatically upload to the cloud (for security), and the ability to use auxiliary batteries for 24/7 recording.

My desired mounting method proved to be the biggest challenge. Most (i.e., all) dash cams mount to your windshield using a suction cup, or directly to your dash using adhesive tape or something similar. I tried other cameras that had a top clip bracket and tried to adapt them with a ball-and-socket type of mount, but I couldn't find one that had a B&S adapter available. To mount the Blackvue DR900X, I designed my own mounting bracket that attaches directly to the ACC housing on the rollbar frame. The camera mounts directly into the bracket exactly the way it mounts into its original included bracket. The bracket I made has mounting holes that line up with the trim screw holes in the ACC housing. I even included a little JL grille "Easter Egg".

I like that the camera is very low profile and barely hangs down below the rear view mirror. It's barely noticeable. It's also very inconspicuous from outside the vehicle, making it less tempting for would-be thieves.

I routed the power wire under the A-pillar trim and across the header to the ACC housing, then out through the rear view mirror opening. The wiring is inconspicuous - just the way I like it.

The camera view is about as optimal as I could hope for. There's quite a bit of hood visible, but I think that's to be expected for any mounting position. You can also see a bit of the black dots that are printed on the edge of the windshield. Still, there's plenty of visibility, and the picture clarity is great in both daylight and low light.

PICTURES COMING SOON

The camera has the ability to record 24/7 and use both motion detection and impact detection to log events. I wanted to use that feature. Doing so requires you to have an auxiliary battery so you don't drain your vehicle battery. They make an auxiliary battery specifically for that purpose, and you can even daisy-chain multiples together if your vehicle is idle for longer periods.

The functionality of the battery is great, but the mounting solution is, well, non-existent. It's the worst form factor design ever. As you can see in the photo above, the battery has rounded sides and absolutely no mounting holes or brackets. Not even square edges to try to clamp onto. They include 2 strips of self-adhesive hook-and-loop strips. That might work for a Civic, but not a Wrangler.

I wanted to mount the battery under my glove box, attached beneath the HVAC blower motor. The photo above shows the approximate position I wanted it to mount in. The blower is upside-down in this photo.

I initially tried making some brackets out of aluminum L-channel, but it was just going to be too bulky and a pain to install. I also would have to get them welded up a bit, which seemed like way more effort than it was worth.

Additive manufacturing saves the day again. I designed a mounting bracket and had 2 of them printed. They mount using the 4 screw holes shown in the picture above. I used some longer screws to mount the battery brackets to the HVAC blower. The battery is held in place in the brackets using some small set screws in the side holes.

The battery mounted up under the glove box perfectly. Nice and solid. It barely hangs down and doesn't interfere with the passenger's foot space. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but Blackvue really needs to provide a better mounting solution for the battery.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the installation. The backup battery functionality is a great feature, but I think it should come with a more integrated mounting solution. Put a mounting flange or some holes on that battery, Blackvue!

:like: Blackvue DR900X dual channel dash cam

:(Blackvue B-124X Power Magic Ultra battery pack

:)Shapeways.com - for 3D printing
How can I get that mount for the blackvue? I just ordered my blackvue and it seems you have perfected the ACC/Safety Package install.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How can I get that mount for the blackvue? I just ordered my blackvue and it seems you have perfected the ACC/Safety Package install.
I'll add it to my Shapeways store and post a link here. I don't add any mark-up to the prices. So what you see, is what Shapeways charges.

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
I'll add it to my Shapeways store and post a link here. I don't add any mark-up to the prices. So what you see, is what Shapeways charges.
Thanks buuuudddddy

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Really nice build and great write ups!! 👍🏻

ChrisW-Larcin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
Matthew I love your write up! I just got the Blackvue battery as well. Been struggling to find a viable mounting option. I love your elegant mounting you create. Was wondering if you have your STL available on any sites for purchase.

Dash Cam Installation

Well, after a long hiatus, I'm back with more project updates. The whole engine swap debacle and poor dealership experience left me with a sour taste in my mouth. For months. But I'm back in the swing of things!

First up is my dash cam with an auxiliary battery. I looked at dozens of options. There's certainly no lack of dash cams to choose from. I wanted something that recorded in true 4K - to give me the best picture clarity for both safety / security and for recording my offroad adventures. I also wanted something I could mount to my adaptive cruise control (ACC) housing in the middle of my windshield. I wanted to be able to have the camera remain in-place even when I lay down my windshield.

After much consideration and even trying a couple out that just didn't work out for me, I opted for the Blackvue DR900X dual channel. It offers great picture quality, cell phone viewing, the ability to automatically upload to the cloud (for security), and the ability to use auxiliary batteries for 24/7 recording.

My desired mounting method proved to be the biggest challenge. Most (i.e., all) dash cams mount to your windshield using a suction cup, or directly to your dash using adhesive tape or something similar. I tried other cameras that had a top clip bracket and tried to adapt them with a ball-and-socket type of mount, but I couldn't find one that had a B&S adapter available. To mount the Blackvue DR900X, I designed my own mounting bracket that attaches directly to the ACC housing on the rollbar frame. The camera mounts directly into the bracket exactly the way it mounts into its original included bracket. The bracket I made has mounting holes that line up with the trim screw holes in the ACC housing. I even included a little JL grille "Easter Egg".

I like that the camera is very low profile and barely hangs down below the rear view mirror. It's barely noticeable. It's also very inconspicuous from outside the vehicle, making it less tempting for would-be thieves.

I routed the power wire under the A-pillar trim and across the header to the ACC housing, then out through the rear view mirror opening. The wiring is inconspicuous - just the way I like it.

The camera view is about as optimal as I could hope for. There's quite a bit of hood visible, but I think that's to be expected for any mounting position. You can also see a bit of the black dots that are printed on the edge of the windshield. Still, there's plenty of visibility, and the picture clarity is great in both daylight and low light.

PICTURES COMING SOON

The camera has the ability to record 24/7 and use both motion detection and impact detection to log events. I wanted to use that feature. Doing so requires you to have an auxiliary battery so you don't drain your vehicle battery. They make an auxiliary battery specifically for that purpose, and you can even daisy-chain multiples together if your vehicle is idle for longer periods.

The functionality of the battery is great, but the mounting solution is, well, non-existent. It's the worst form factor design ever. As you can see in the photo above, the battery has rounded sides and absolutely no mounting holes or brackets. Not even square edges to try to clamp onto. They include 2 strips of self-adhesive hook-and-loop strips. That might work for a Civic, but not a Wrangler.

I wanted to mount the battery under my glove box, attached beneath the HVAC blower motor. The photo above shows the approximate position I wanted it to mount in. The blower is upside-down in this photo.

I initially tried making some brackets out of aluminum L-channel, but it was just going to be too bulky and a pain to install. I also would have to get them welded up a bit, which seemed like way more effort than it was worth.

Additive manufacturing saves the day again. I designed a mounting bracket and had 2 of them printed. They mount using the 4 screw holes shown in the picture above. I used some longer screws to mount the battery brackets to the HVAC blower. The battery is held in place in the brackets using some small set screws in the side holes.

The battery mounted up under the glove box perfectly. Nice and solid. It barely hangs down and doesn't interfere with the passenger's foot space. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but Blackvue really needs to provide a better mounting solution for the battery.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the installation. The backup battery functionality is a great feature, but I think it should come with a more integrated mounting solution. Put a mounting flange or some holes on that battery, Blackvue!

:like: Blackvue DR900X dual channel dash cam

:(Blackvue B-124X Power Magic Ultra battery pack

:)Shapeways.com - for 3D printing

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You bet! The battery mount is available at my Shapeways store:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/lucky-devil

I don't add any markup to the cost. What you see is what Shapeways charges. Keep in mind you'll need two of them to mount the battery. You'll also need to buy some screws.

Here are some instructions for installation:

1. Disconnect the wiring plug from the HVAC blower fan located beneath the glove box.
  2. Locate and remove the 3 screws that hold the blower fan assembly in place beneath the dash. They are located on 3 mounting tabs on the blower fan assembly that protrude from the round fan housing. Retain the screws for later use.
  3. Place the fan assembly upside down on a work surface and locate the 4 screws on the bottom face of the fan housing. DO NOT REMOVE SCREWS YET!
  4. Note that 2 of the 4 screws are roughly in-line with 2 of the 3 fan assembly mounting tab holes.
  5. Remove the other 2 screws on the bottom of the fan housing. (Do not remove the ones that align with the 2 mounting tabs.) Retain the screws for later use.
  6. Purchase mounting hardware
    1. Take one of the screws you removed and one of the battery mounting brackets to a hardware store (i.e. Ace)
    2. Note the length and diameter of the OE screw from the fan housing
    3. Locate sheet metal screws with similar diameter
    4. Insert screws into the mounting posts of the battery mounting bracket until you find one that protrudes from the mounting post the same length as the length of the OE screw. In other words, you're "extending" the OE screw by the internal length of the mounting post.
    5. Purchase 4 screws.
  7. Note that the battery mounting brackets consist of a hoop to hold the battery and two mounting posts with larger support bases where the posts meet the hoop. IMPORTANT: Inspect the support bases; one is slightly thicker (taller) than the other one, but the posts themselves are the same length.
  8. Note that the fan housing has a slightly raised lip on one side of the bottom surface.
  9. Orient one of the mounting brackets onto the fan assembly so that the mounting post with the thicker support base is positioned on the lower surface of the fan assembly, and the thinner support base is positioned on the raised surface. If the mounting bracket is positioned incorrectly, one of the support bases will rest flush against the fan assembly and the other one will have approximately a 2mm gap.
  10. Use two the of screws you purchased to install the bracket to the fan assembly. Do not install the other mounting bracket yet. (Note: It is necessary to install the second bracket after the fan assembly is re-installed because the bracket itself blocks access to the screws that hold the fan assembly in place.)
  11. Locate the two set screw holes on the ends of the mounting bracket hoop. Install the two screws previously removed into those holes. Thread them into the holes so that the tips of the screws do not protrude into the hoop. They will be used as set screws later to secure the battery in the bracket.
  12. Insert the battery into the single battery mounting bracket. Note the orientation of the battery relative to the fan housing, ensuring the end of the battery with the electrical connector sockets aligns as you want it to for your wiring configuration. Do not tighten the set screws yet; the battery needs to be able to slide inside the hoop for installation.
  13. Replace the fan assembly beneath the dash using the 3 screws previously removed. The battery should be held loosely by a single bracket. Connect the wiring harness to the fan.
  14. Once the fan assembly is installed, slide the battery in the mounting bracket towards the passenger side of the vehicle, just enough so that it is no longer in the way of the other two screws on the bottom of the fan assembly.
  15. Remove the two screws and thread them into the second mounting bracket set screw holes. Again, ensure they do not protrude into the hoop of the mounting bracket.
  16. Install the second mounting bracket using the longer screws you purchased, ensuring the bracket is oriented the same way as the first bracket.
  17. Slide the battery toward the driver's side and into the second mounting bracket. Position the battery so that it is evenly spaced in both brackets. Tighten the set screws in the mounting brackets. The set screws at the front of the vehicle will be hard to reach with a screwdriver. Use a 1/4" socket and a Philips head driver bit.
  18. Connect the wiring to your battery pack per the manufacturer's instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions on your installation. Happy to help.

ChrisW-Larcin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
Thank you for sharing the install instructions.

I was hoping to purchase or get the stl file as I have my own printers.

You bet! The battery mount is available at my Shapeways store:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/lucky-devil

I don't add any markup to the cost. What you see is what Shapeways charges. Keep in mind you'll need two of them to mount the battery. You'll also need to buy some screws.

Here are some instructions for installation:

1. Disconnect the wiring plug from the HVAC blower fan located beneath the glove box.
  2. Locate and remove the 3 screws that hold the blower fan assembly in place beneath the dash. They are located on 3 mounting tabs on the blower fan assembly that protrude from the round fan housing. Retain the screws for later use.
  3. Place the fan assembly upside down on a work surface and locate the 4 screws on the bottom face of the fan housing. DO NOT REMOVE SCREWS YET!
  4. Note that 2 of the 4 screws are roughly in-line with 2 of the 3 fan assembly mounting tab holes.
  5. Remove the other 2 screws on the bottom of the fan housing. (Do not remove the ones that align with the 2 mounting tabs.) Retain the screws for later use.
  6. Purchase mounting hardware
    1. Take one of the screws you removed and one of the battery mounting brackets to a hardware store (i.e. Ace)
    2. Note the length and diameter of the OE screw from the fan housing
    3. Locate sheet metal screws with similar diameter
    4. Insert screws into the mounting posts of the battery mounting bracket until you find one that protrudes from the mounting post the same length as the length of the OE screw. In other words, you're "extending" the OE screw by the internal length of the mounting post.
    5. Purchase 4 screws.
  7. Note that the battery mounting brackets consist of a hoop to hold the battery and two mounting posts with larger support bases where the posts meet the hoop. IMPORTANT: Inspect the support bases; one is slightly thicker (taller) than the other one, but the posts themselves are the same length.
  8. Note that the fan housing has a slightly raised lip on one side of the bottom surface.
  9. Orient one of the mounting brackets onto the fan assembly so that the mounting post with the thicker support base is positioned on the lower surface of the fan assembly, and the thinner support base is positioned on the raised surface. If the mounting bracket is positioned incorrectly, one of the support bases will rest flush against the fan assembly and the other one will have approximately a 2mm gap.
  10. Use two the of screws you purchased to install the bracket to the fan assembly. Do not install the other mounting bracket yet. (Note: It is necessary to install the second bracket after the fan assembly is re-installed because the bracket itself blocks access to the screws that hold the fan assembly in place.)
  11. Locate the two set screw holes on the ends of the mounting bracket hoop. Install the two screws previously removed into those holes. Thread them into the holes so that the tips of the screws do not protrude into the hoop. They will be used as set screws later to secure the battery in the bracket.
  12. Insert the battery into the single battery mounting bracket. Note the orientation of the battery relative to the fan housing, ensuring the end of the battery with the electrical connector sockets aligns as you want it to for your wiring configuration. Do not tighten the set screws yet; the battery needs to be able to slide inside the hoop for installation.
  13. Replace the fan assembly beneath the dash using the 3 screws previously removed. The battery should be held loosely by a single bracket. Connect the wiring harness to the fan.
  14. Once the fan assembly is installed, slide the battery in the mounting bracket towards the passenger side of the vehicle, just enough so that it is no longer in the way of the other two screws on the bottom of the fan assembly.
  15. Remove the two screws and thread them into the second mounting bracket set screw holes. Again, ensure they do not protrude into the hoop of the mounting bracket.
  16. Install the second mounting bracket using the longer screws you purchased, ensuring the bracket is oriented the same way as the first bracket.
  17. Slide the battery toward the driver's side and into the second mounting bracket. Position the battery so that it is evenly spaced in both brackets. Tighten the set screws in the mounting brackets. The set screws at the front of the vehicle will be hard to reach with a screwdriver. Use a 1/4" socket and a Philips head driver bit.
  18. Connect the wiring to your battery pack per the manufacturer's instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions on your installation. Happy to help.

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Candidly, I'd rather not share the files. Just trying to protect my intellectual property. I'm not selling them to make money, but I also don't want to hand them out and provide others with an opportunity to profit from my work. I have no way of controlling that, even if someone assures me they won't do it.

ChrisW-Larcin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
no worries at all I understand. I’ll design one out once I get reset up from my recent move. Just getting my printer and shop set back up but saw an opportunity to knock out mounting my batteries I just got quickly.

Candidly, I'd rather not share the files. Just trying to protect my intellectual property. I'm not selling them to make money, but I also don't want to hand them out and provide others with an opportunity to profit from my work. I have no way of controlling that, even if someone assures me they won't do it.

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Wanted to share my install using the brackets I got off of the Shapeways store. Really happy how it turned out. Had to move the floor light to the left side of the battery and with no modifications my AEV jack stand still fits! Now if only the Blackvue battery lasted longer. lol

IMG_0031.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg
Sponsored