First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Automotive Sales Manager
Some pretty awesome fabrication abilities! Look forward to seeing this thing come to fruition!

JimKimmRubi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Hello Matthew
Like what you're doing with the Jeep. My wife and I just ordered basically the exact same
jeep for 2021 and are waiting on the build now. How do you like the Eco Diesel? We were a little unsure about going with that powertrain and hope we don't have regrets. What do you think about it?

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Hello Matthew
Like what you're doing with the Jeep. My wife and I just ordered basically the exact same
jeep for 2021 and are waiting on the build now. How do you like the Eco Diesel? We were a little unsure about going with that powertrain and hope we don't have regrets. What do you think about it?
Congrats on the order!

I absolutely love the diesel. Ridiculous amounts of low-end grunt. I'm one of those guys who has been nagging Jeep to put in a diesel for a decade or so. Zero regrets. When I drive, I can't stop smiling.

My wife has the 2nd generation EcoDiesel in her '16 Grand Cherokee, and that's what sold me. At the time I was driving a JKU with the 3.6 PentaStar. Great engine and all, but it doesn't compare to the diesel. I loved the diesel so much that I even considered ditching my JK for a Grand Cherokee myself. As soon as Jeep announced they were putting the diesel in the new generation of Wrangler, I was sold.

I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap! You are ambitious! Great work, especially the air compressor. Impressive wiring also. You must have a lot of time on your hands. Retired??

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy crap! You are ambitious! Great work, especially the air compressor. Impressive wiring also. You must have a lot of time on your hands. Retired??
Thanks!

No, not retired. Just quarantined. ;)

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome build man great work.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Seems like an incredible build and I've bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, gents! I appreciate the kind words.

I just need to sell this spare kidney I've been luggin' around so I can move on to the next project.

4xFishin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Nice On-Board Air setup! That control panel bracket looks great. Are you able to set a tire PSI to air-down and have it auto shutoff? I see it will shutoff when you air-up, but wondering if you can do the same on air-down. Super nice work!

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Thanks!

I'd love to see pictures of your installation once you get it done.
Ok, here it is. As I said, not quite as elegant as your setup, but I finally got my ARB twin mounted up over the course of the last couple days. Went with the ARB under seat mount and designed/built myself a manifold out of parts that I sourced mostly from McMaster-Carr. Happy with the way it turned out, though I still need to fab up some brackets for the outlets which will be mounted under each of the front seats.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) 9d2507de-a735-4b33-80e4-f7c0e6f8192d-jpe

I repurposed the ARB switch/outlet bracket to instead hold a pressure gauge. Also tied the switch illumination into the dome light circuit so it lights up for me when I open the door, but it doesn't stay lit up while I'm driving at night. I'm only planning on filling tires at this point, so I went with a 50psi regulator and a 60psi gauge so that I'd have 1psi increments on it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) 53db4612-51bb-4caa-ba99-91507524fb85-jpe

Here's my manifold, regulator on one side and a ball valve on the other. (Yes, I have to reach under my seat to activate the controls, and hear/smell the air coming out of my tires. Primitive, I know... lol) This will allow me to air up/down all four tires at once via double ended hoses that will attach to the outlets on either side of the Jeep. I used a manifold with a third outlet in the middle just in case I decide I want to add something to the system down the road.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) 96884c3e-0132-48e0-a589-8e6acb1308b7-jpe

I've got to say, after doing this install, I'm even more impressed with your setup now. I've got about 16 hours into it so far (with a majority of the wiring already in place). I can only imagine how long yours took!

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice On-Board Air setup! That control panel bracket looks great. Are you able to set a tire PSI to air-down and have it auto shutoff? I see it will shutoff when you air-up, but wondering if you can do the same on air-down. Super nice work!
@4xFishin , Thanks!

Funny you would ask that - I actually had that capability in my original design, but opted to not do it. It would be pretty easy to add though. You would need either a Normally Open (NO) pressure switch (which are hard to find), or a Normally Closed (NC) pressure switch and a SPDT relay (or SPST NC, which is also difficult to find).

@tonygiotta , that looks great! It's not a competition, my friend! If you're getting the functionality you want and you're happy with the installation, then it's a job well done. The end result is very clean and well integrated. It really turned out well.

And yes - I have an hour or two invested in the installation. ;)

OP
OP
MCJA

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove to Olympic National Park this morning to watch the sun come up. Here's to more sunrises.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5669_

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5671_

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5674_

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5681_

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5683_

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5686_

Jeep Wrangler JL Lucky Devil - Bright White Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel (JLURD) IMG_5693_
Sponsored