OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
From that picture it doesn't look like the bumper has anything other than scratches on it and patches of paint from the "victim." Even the fog lights look unbroken. Is it worse than it looks in that photo? Also I can't tell.. did the tow hooks bend at all?
Not worse. Looks better in person actually. The right tow hook has some of his paint on it but it doesn't look bent. I am going to have a shop take a look at it and pull the skid plate off and look.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Would the 2019 ACC safety system have prevented this?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
This kind of thing sucks for both of you.

My insurance went up a grand a year because a girl decided to stop after going in much the same scenario. I look over to pick my spot in traffic and hello! She had stopped for unknown reasons. I now wait until the car in front leaves before I look to find my place in traffic.

College kid. She loved her car too, so it was painful. She didn't throw a fit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
We don’t know what the other driver was doing. It’s possible wasn’t paying attention and had a clear lane to merge into. OP has accepted responsibility but I can almost say with 100% certainty that the driver of the car was a millennial and will embrace the victim mentatilty. I get to see this a lot. It’s called an accident too, wasn’t intentional but these kids don’t know how to process things when they don’t go the way they want. If he hit the OP with the ice, that would’ve been assault. Temper tantrum or not he should be able to act like a grown up.

Brett
He was exactly 20. I have two kids, my daughter who is 22 and graduated West Point last year and my son who is 19 and is in his second year of West Point. My daughter got hit in her car when she was 17, and actually helped calm the other driver down and reassured him that she was not hurt and that it was just an accident. He definitely had the victim mentality. I would be embarrassed if either of my kids acted like that at any time.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
He was exactly 20. I have two kids, my daughter who is 22 and graduated West Point last year and my son who is 19 and is in his second year of West Point. My daughter got hit in her car when she was 17, and actually helped calm the other driver down and reassured him that she was not hurt and that it was just an accident. He definitely had the victim mentality. I would be embarrassed if either of my kids acted like that at any time.
That’s what I figured. Sounds like you’re raising your kids right and they are making awesome choices! This new generation is something else. A car full of clothes doesn’t mean it was laundry day anymore. I don’t know how to describe it but this is very common for some reason. It’s like they are just slobs. These are generalizations but very very common for this age range.

Honestly, I would remove any comment or implication that you were at fault. They see this as a pay day and it’s all about what they can get out of the accident because it hurt their feelings. Unless you genuinely weren’t paying attention and just rammed them they could have some responsibility in that they were distracted. Not in the eyes of the law but possibly the courts when he sues you because his hipster friends encourage him to get what’s rightfully his

Brett

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That’s what I figured. Sounds like you’re raising your kids right and they are making awesome choices! This new generation is something else. A car full of clothes doesn’t mean it was laundry day anymore. I don’t know how to describe it but this is very common for some reason. It’s like they are just slobs. These are generalizations but very very common for this age range.

Honestly, I would remove any comment or implication that you were at fault. They see this as a pay day and it’s all about what they can get out of the accident because it hurt their feelings. Unless you genuinely weren’t paying attention and just rammed them they could have some responsibility in that they were distracted. Not in the eyes of the law but possibly the courts when he sues you because his hipster friends encourage him to get what’s rightfully his

Brett
We love to blame the kids but in my experience it's a piss poor job of parenting that is causing this useless generation. Also good luck proving any fault by the vehicle that was hit from behind. Not gonna happen.

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU
Any photos or videos of him actually lying on the ground crying?

snakesnakington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
We love to blame the kids but in my experience it's a piss poor job of parenting that is causing this useless generation. Also good luck proving any fault by the vehicle that was hit from behind. Not gonna happen.
So the original poster says that the accident was entirely his fault, he rear-ended the car in front of him because he was distracted, yet somehow we're blaming millennials?

The logic in this thread:
giphy.gif

"it’s all about what they can get out of the accident because it hurt their feelings"​

Their feelings, and, you know, the back of their car that got rear-ended by a distracted driver.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So the original poster says that the accident was entirely his fault, he rear-ended the car in front of him because he was distracted, yet somehow we're blaming millennials?

The logic in this thread:
giphy.gif

"it’s all about what they can get out of the accident because it hurt their feelings"​

Their feelings, and, you know, the back of their car that got rear-ended by a distracted driver.
It's the kid's reaction that we are referring to. Obviously the accident is the OPs fault.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Maybe... It could be mutual. Depends on what the other driver was also doing. Hopefully, there's cameras in the area that can be accessed.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Maybe... It could be mutual. Depends on what the other driver was also doing. Hopefully, there's cameras in the area that can be accessed.
I don't think you can ram someone from behind and not be completely at fault. Especially considering both cars were stopped before the accident.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I don't think you can ram someone from behind and not be completely at fault. Especially considering both cars were stopped before the accident.
My point is that we don't know because we weren't there. But cameras will show us what was happening. And just because you rearend someone didn't mean you are at fault. There are lots of cases of insurance fraud for this very thing. That's why cameras are invaluable.

snakesnakington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
It's the kid's reaction that we are referring to. Obviously the accident is the OPs fault.
Sorry word302, you were collateral damage—it was Rusty's post that inspired mine, not yours. But looking at that dude's profile, his thing is hating on millennials, so I guess I took the troll bait.

The mental gymnastics it takes to see a rear-ending and use that as an occasion to blame slobby millennial hipsters proves that, for some, our feelings are more important in how we perceive the world than our facts.

Anyway, glad no one was hurt.
Sponsored