Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
First of all - let me say that this accident was my fault. I ran into the back of another vehicle because I was paying attention to merging into traffic more than I was aware of what was in front of me. Thankfully, there was no injuries in this accident.

I pulled up behind the car I hit as he was waiting to make a right onto another road - there was a lane used for merging as you got up to speed. He left and I pulled up to the line to go next. It was kind of busy so I was watching the oncoming traffic. I saw an opening and I went. Unfortunately, the car in front of me had stopped in the lane and I ran into the back of him. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 20.

I got out of the car and profusely apologized. I presented my insurance and assured the passengers of the other car that I was fully insured and it would be taken care of. The driver of the other vehicle stormed out of the car and started yelling profanities at me. He never really got in my face, so I was threatened by his actions, just surprised. He then proceeded to throw a tantrum. He laid on the ground, cried, got up and threw a block of ice and snow over the side of the road, he hugged his girlfriend and cried some more. I was really taken a back by how he acted.

However, here is the carnage. The Jeep came out really well. I am going to have the bumper, tow hooks and skid plate replaced at the least. I will also have them look underneath to make sure that everything is OK.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg
Since when do they let babies drive? A tantrum? Seriously?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Sorry word302, you were collateral damage—it was Rusty's post that inspired mine, not yours. But looking at that dude's profile, his thing is hating on millennials, so I guess I took the troll bait.

The mental gymnastics it takes to see a rear-ending and use that as an occasion to blame slobby millennial hipsters proves that, for some, our feelings are more important in how we perceive the world than our facts.

Anyway, glad no one was hurt.
Op was going approx 20. That would imply he had made the turn and was speeding up. You’d expect the vehicle in front of you to be doing the same. If for some reason they came to a sudden stop while you were looking to make sure it was clear to merge you’d hit while expecting the road to be clear.

The temper tantrum was the basis for millennial bashing. That is funny and a very common reaction when they are involved in accidents or things don’t go there way. I’ve never seen a 40 year old do that

Brett

Reactions: JC7

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We love to blame the kids but in my experience it's a piss poor job of parenting that is causing this useless generation. Also good luck proving any fault by the vehicle that was hit from behind. Not gonna happen.
In traffic law no but civilly you might have a leg to stand on if the person hit was distracted. Op could get cited for failure to maintain safe distance even if the car driver suddenly slammed on his brakes in a merge lane.

Brett

snakesnakington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
You’d expect the vehicle in front of you to be doing the same. If for some reason they came to a sudden stop while you were looking to make sure it was clear to merge you’d hit while expecting the road to be clear.
You're inventing hypothetical scenarios so that your worldview can fit the facts of what happened. OP was distracted and not looking forward. OP rear-ended the driver in front of him. Case closed.

You talk about victim mentality—blaming the driver who got rear-ended because they could've or might've done something you invented is straight-up victim mentality.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
My point is that we don't know because we weren't there. But cameras will show us what was happening. And just because you rearend someone didn't mean you are at fault. There are lots of cases of insurance fraud for this very thing. That's why cameras are invaluable.
That's the very reason we have front/rear dash cams in our vehicles. That was my first mod when we picked up the JLUR. (Makes for some GREAT trail video too!)

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
That's the very reason we have front/rear dash cams in our vehicles. That was my first mod when we picked up the JLUR. (Makes for some GREAT trail video too!)

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG
I've been looking for some. I'd like to put them in both Jeeps. Just waiting for the last kid to graduate this spring and head off to college. Any suggestions are welcome! :idea:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Would the 2019 ACC safety system have prevented this?
It's supposed to. I've had mine alarm and actively brake a few times when the person in front of me is turning right and I can see that I'm safely able to maneuver past them, but apparently the FCW thinks I'm too close.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking for some. I'd like to put them in both Jeeps. Just waiting for the last kid to graduate this spring and head off to college. Any suggestions are welcome! :idea:
We've gone with BlackVue DR650S ($379 on Amazon) that includes GPS showing speed, location, and g-force sensors. Very cool all the information it holds (even voice recording but you can optionally turn that part off). Of course that could work against me if I'm at fault (not that that could ever happen! LOL) Our are a couple years old but work well. The newer ones (DR900S 2-ch) I believe have 4k video that would be my first choice these days (the newer 4K ones are running around $600+).

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
We've gone with BlackVue DR650S that includes GPS showing speed, location, and g-force sensors. Very cool all the information it holds (even voice recording but you can optionally turn that part off). Of course that could work against me if I'm at fault (not that that could ever happen! LOL) Our are a couple years old but work well. The newer ones (DR900S 2-ch) I believe have 4k video that would be my first choice these days.
Thanks! I'll check them out :like:

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
The other car was driven by a 20 something guy I’m assuming? They are the worst for this behavior. Glad you and your Jeep are relatively unscathed.

Brett
I must be the exception, I'm 23 and I laughed uncontrollably when my sister totaled mine and her car in the driveway :CWL:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of years ago stopped at a light in my JK when suddenly felt a bump in the rear. A young woman had stopped behind me and thought it was ok to start texting. She thought the light had turned green so she floored it without looking up while still texting. It was still red. It hit my rear steel bumper (not stock) and rode under scuffing a little paint underneath. Her front end was smashed in so bad it was towed, police officer estimated $3,000 to $4,000. Don't see why Wranglers get bad crash ratings. She admitted to the officer she was texting. My grandson was driving my JK last year at the same intersection stopped at the light and he just looked at the light and started driving without looking to see if the line of cars had started, they hadn't, and he rearended the car in front of him. That was me in my Honda. Put a cut in the front license plate of the Jeep (another good reason to have front plates) and did $3,000 damage to the rear of the Honda that had just gotten back from the shop having the rear repaired from someone in a parking lot backing into it.
Today the main streets here are all solid packed snow that is like wet ice. Stopped at an uphill red light and cars were backed up because a car was spinning it's tires trying to get going. I parked and pushed the front wheel drive with no traction control car thru the intersection to where it could get traction. Right behind it was a rear wheel drive car doing the same thing. Pushed it into the clear. Then almost, within a foot or two, got hit by a truck going 35 in the opposite direction. Narrow two lane street with lot of cars backed up but the idiot didn't slow down at all.
Glad everyone in your accident didn't suffer PHYSICAL pain. But a pain to your Jeep which will show up in Carfax as being in an accident and lose value. Damn Carfax.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Would the 2019 ACC safety system have prevented this?
Yes, I’m 99% sure it would have stopped the Jeep. If you want to play with the system, setup about 6 good sized empty uhaul boxes and set them up. Drive at it at 20 and hold on, it will stop. Of course you would only do this on a closed course and using a professional driver.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you can ram someone from behind and not be completely at fault. Especially considering both cars were stopped before the accident.
When I was 18 I was in the turn lane with my signal on in my 2 week old muscle car when I was rear ended by an off duty cop. Guess who got the ticket?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I’m 99% sure it would have stopped the Jeep. If you want to play with the system, setup about 6 good sized empty uhaul boxes and set them up. Drive at it at 20 and hold on, it will stop. Of course you would only do this on a closed course and using a professional driver.
Read the warning on page 239 of the manual. It is their caveat that the system will not mitigate all accidents. One of the car magazines several months ago tested several vehicles with safety systems and found a number of issues with the expected capabilities based on owner surveys. They found variance in when, how and if they worked totally. They also pointed out that the owners manuals had a number of warnings and caveats about using safety systems including one brand that had 12 pages of them. I guess they had the best legal department.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Read the warning on page 239 of the manual. It is their caveat that the system will not mitigate all accidents. One of the car magazines several months ago tested several vehicles with safety systems and found a number of issues with the expected capabilities based on owner surveys. They found variance in when, how and if they worked totally. They also pointed out that the owners manuals had a number of warnings and caveats about using safety systems including one brand that had 12 pages of them. I guess they had the best legal department.
Agreed, it is my experience that the systems are pretty good at lined up “same lane” impact avoidance. However one must always be diligent. My statement was based on the type of impact I observed in the photos. Nothing is 100% but I feel based on my experience with the Jeep system which as stopped me for no reason at all in a parking garage, that this would have likely been avoided.
Sponsored