Luckily- Jeep is Tougher Than I am Smart

whiterubicon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Update: Thanks to everyone that replied and was happy that nobody was hurt. The police reached out to me and let me know that the kid admitted to stopping due to dropping his phone. So, I believe it is not 100% my fault. Although, I still think I could have avoided this whole situation with a little more attention. I was speeding up when I hit him and he was in the merging lane completely.

I am hoping that we can all get through this as quickly as possible.

First of all - let me say that this accident was my fault. I ran into the back of another vehicle because I was paying attention to merging into traffic more than I was aware of what was in front of me. Thankfully, there was no injuries in this accident.

I pulled up behind the car I hit as he was waiting to make a right onto another road - there was a lane used for merging as you got up to speed. He left and I pulled up to the line to go next. It was kind of busy so I was watching the oncoming traffic. I saw an opening and I went. Unfortunately, the car in front of me had stopped in the lane and I ran into the back of him. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 20.

I got out of the car and profusely apologized. I presented my insurance and assured the passengers of the other car that I was fully insured and it would be taken care of. The driver of the other vehicle stormed out of the car and started yelling profanities at me. He never really got in my face, so I was threatened by his actions, just surprised. He then proceeded to throw a tantrum. He laid on the ground, cried, got up and threw a block of ice and snow over the side of the road, he hugged his girlfriend and cried some more. I was really taken a back by how he acted.

However, here is the carnage. The Jeep came out really well. I am going to have the bumper, tow hooks and skid plate replaced at the least. I will also have them look underneath to make sure that everything is OK.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
First of all - let me say that this accident was my fault. I ran into the back of another vehicle because I was paying attention to merging into traffic more than I was aware of what was in front of me. Thankfully, there was no injuries in this accident.

I pulled up behind the car I hit as he was waiting to make a right onto another road - there was a lane used for merging as you got up to speed. He left and I pulled up to the line to go next. It was kind of busy so I was watching the oncoming traffic. I saw an opening and I went. Unfortunately, the car in front of me had stopped in the lane and I ran into the back of him. I wasn't going very fast, maybe 20.

I got out of the car and profusely apologized. I presented my insurance and assured the passengers of the other car that I was fully insured and it would be taken care of. The driver of the other vehicle stormed out of the car and started yelling profanities at me. He never really got in my face, so I was threatened by his actions, just surprised. He then proceeded to throw a tantrum. He laid on the ground, cried, got up and threw a block of ice and snow over the side of the road, he hugged his girlfriend and cried some more. I was really taken a back by how he acted.

However, here is the carnage. The Jeep came out really well. I am going to have the bumper, tow hooks and skid plate replaced at the least. I will also have them look underneath to make sure that everything is OK.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg
Glad everyone is ok. When I had my Envoy, a high school kid ran into the back of me. We pulled over and I started laughing. I had only a scratch on my bumper but his front end was smashed pretty good since my hitch did the damage.

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
i sort of understand the guy you hit. when someone hit my wife's car the book value was less than the repair cost so we got salvage value. it was a hardship for a little while because we needed to take on payments again. i suspect the damage you did will do the same to his vehicle. but important thing is no one is hurt and thats what insurance is for. but i feel for the guy ... i dont think he will be made whole. that is the world we live in today.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Regardless of whatever you may drive, pay attention out there, folks.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Glad no one was hurt. I don't know how old the other driver is, but there is obviously something going on with him and his inability to cope. As a parent of a child with Aspergers Syndrome I see this reaction often. Not saying this other driver is autistic, but it's amazing how well people with ASD can do and "blend in" depending on their level of functioning until something goes wrong. If you briefly met my daughter you probably wouldn't pick up on the fact that she has ASD, but if something like this happened you'd know rather quickly she has an issue coping. She may not be able to contain the mild tantrum in public, but she waits until she gets home for the meltdown. Maybe this guy is similar. Or maybe he's just a big baby upset that you crashed his ride...Who knows??

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The other car was driven by a 20 something guy Iā€™m assuming? They are the worst for this behavior. Glad you and your Jeep are relatively unscathed.

Brett

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
HAHAHA... WHAT?? Really? I'm sure I could sympathize with an owner about a damaged car on many levels, including cursing, but at the end of the day, it's a replaceable item. However, I've NEVER seen anyone throw a tantrum including crying, and lying on the ground as a child might.

Sorry to hear of your accident, I'm sure it'll all sort out fine for you. Your jeep barely looks like it's got any damage, vs the rear end of that car. Gotta love a tough vehicle for that!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Awww... that should buff right out... :like:

Glad no one was injured.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
HAHAHA... WHAT?? Really? I'm sure I could sympathize with an owner about a damaged car on many levels, including cursing, but at the end of the day, it's a replaceable item. However, I've NEVER seen anyone throw a tantrum including crying, and lying on the ground as a child might.

Sorry to hear of your accident, I'm sure it'll all sort out fine for you. Your jeep barely looks like it's got any damage, vs the rear end of that car. Gotta love a tough vehicle for that!
Right? where are the pictures of that?!?!

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
From that picture it doesn't look like the bumper has anything other than scratches on it and patches of paint from the "victim." Even the fog lights look unbroken. Is it worse than it looks in that photo? Also I can't tell.. did the tow hooks bend at all?

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We donā€™t know what the other driver was doing. Itā€™s possible wasnā€™t paying attention and had a clear lane to merge into. OP has accepted responsibility but I can almost say with 100% certainty that the driver of the car was a millennial and will embrace the victim mentatilty. I get to see this a lot. Itā€™s called an accident too, wasnā€™t intentional but these kids donā€™t know how to process things when they donā€™t go the way they want. If he hit the OP with the ice, that wouldā€™ve been assault. Temper tantrum or not he should be able to act like a grown up.

Brett
Sponsored