Sponsored

Lowest tire pressure without beadlocks

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Aired down to 14 psi with 1 tire at 13 psi with 315/70/17 ko2's load c on a 17×8.5 wheel on rocky terrain at an offroad park. Had folks comment as to how well they flexed and widened...said the flex was a good bit more than others with 35" toyo M/T and bfg km2's. Had no issues running them for 4 hrs..

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't forget---when you air down-TOO MUCH--

You increase your chances of sidewall damage--especially with class "C" sidewalls--and

you will DECREASE your ground clearance for a questional increase in traction--

W.E.

JIMBO

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I aired down to 5 psi on a recent snow run without a problem, though I was very careful. I started at 10 psi but the Jeep kept braking through the top layer of ice/snow. @JIMBOX is correct in that you lose significant ground clearance. My Jeep looked like a low rider at the time!

I could see dropping down to 5 in soft sand but not for rocky sections. I haven’t had a chance to do any rock crawling yet, but I expect that I’ll shoot for somewhere between 12 and15 psi.

I’m running 315/70R17 C load rated KO2s on stock rims.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
12 psi on stock rims and 315/70/17 Patagonia’s. You might want to check out the method 701’s. I got a set and I can air down to 8 psi without breaking a bead, they are not bead locks but a good compromise because they have a special beadLip.

metallicpea

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I aired down to 8 psi on my LJ with stock 16" size wheels and tires (Bridgestone Revo 2). But all on sand. The terrain makes a difference too. I'm planning 11 to 15 psi on firm rock terrain on my stock JL Rubicon. & KO 2s

Always a good idea to ask the locals at the trail too. I will do that to confirm my plan on my next new trail.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
12-14 is where I run but there is a calculation.

Weight at the axle divided by the max load stated on the tire multiplied by two (since there are two tires on each axle). Add 20 percent to that number for a safety margin. Now multiply that times the max load pressure stated on your tire. This number gives you the street pressure for your tire. Divide that by 3 for the lowest minimum off-road pressure for your rig on these tires.

Weight at axle
________________ = A
Max tire load x 2

A x 1.2 = B

B x Max load psi = C (your street pressure)

35% of C (or C x 0.35) = your lowest minimum off-road pressure

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have guys in our Jeep club that run 3 psi with out beadlocks on the sand dunes. Then they run 10 on the trails.

Reactions: J0E

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I run 15 on mud/rocky trails and it feels good. Im running a 9.5" x 17" rim. 315s with E sidewall Ridge Grapplers.
Sponsored