First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hi guys. I went a 9 day camping trip with my wife. I had to air down a few times. Sometimes because we were stuck and other times just for comfort on long off road trails.

We had a ton of stuff packed for the camping trip plus a heavy rack and RTT. You can physically see the weight of the suspension being used in the rear.

Two quick questions. How safe is leaving the tires aired down at the campsites for a long durations of time? And secondly/more importantly, what is the lowest PSI you can often go down to without a hub lock or bead lock wheels both loaded and unloaded vehicle weight?

I have the stock Bridgestone Duelers A/T tires that came with the Jeep. Lowest I aired down to was around 15 psi.

Thanks in advanced. This is my first Jeep and 4x4 car we’ve owned. I’ve learned so much in 6 months from these forums.
Jeep Wrangler JL Lowest PSI with Heavy Paid Load 42CFD99A-A0D1-401E-998E-AAE5BC7F3593
Jeep Wrangler JL Lowest PSI with Heavy Paid Load 68A2F1ED-CB48-4025-9D25-FA5D243189B4
Jeep Wrangler JL Lowest PSI with Heavy Paid Load 9F518E55-A4DA-4990-AB61-D45EE3FDC817
Jeep Wrangler JL Lowest PSI with Heavy Paid Load 9BEABDB9-CFAA-4AC3-8537-6BDC03DB24BB
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
You can leave the tires aired down as long as you want, until it's time to drive at highway speeds again.

Pressure is more art than science.
255/70R18? Your loaded Jeep is like 5000 to 5500 or so?

The main risk is breaking a bead, which is pretty inconvenient, but ultimately not all *that* big a deal if it happens at low speeds on a trail. Worst can happen is you trash a tire and/or a rim.

Still, that's a pretty small tire. I run 14 or 15 in a 285/70R17 on a truck that weighs less than 5000. So personally, for your heavier jeep on a smaller tire, I'd probably go 18-20.

Your mileage may vary and objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You can leave the tires aired down as long as you want, until it's time to drive at highway speeds again.

Pressure is more art than science.
255/70R18? Your loaded Jeep is like 5000 to 5500 or so?

The main risk is breaking a bead, which is pretty inconvenient, but ultimately not all *that* big a deal if it happens at low speeds on a trail. Worst can happen is you trash a tire and/or a rim.

Still, that's a pretty small tire. I run 14 or 15 in a 285/70R17 on a truck that weighs less than 5000. So personally, for your heavier jeep on a smaller tire, I'd probably go 18-20.

Your mileage may vary and objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.
You know what I’m not sure what it weighed but that sounds close. Yeah I stayed at 20 most of time but when I made the recovery I went down to 15 PSI. Yeah I just played with the pressure to see what felt most appropriate with the weight in the car. Glad I had no incidents.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You will be fine at 12 to 15 psi. If you were in sand, I would not hesitate to go down to 8psi. Just remember that you are aired down so no high speed driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You will be fine at 12 to 15 psi. If you were in sand, I would not hesitate to go down to 8psi. Just remember that you are aired down so no high speed driving.
Yeah usually stay well below 20 but have gone 30 a few times.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Out of curiosity bead locks allow for an extremely low tire pressure?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Out of curiosity bead locks allow for an extremely low tire pressure?
The tire is physically clamped into the wheel in a beadlock setup, so you can go to ridiculously low pressures. Honestly though, a standard wheel and tire setup can safely go to 15 and the risk of popping a bead is extremely low. You’ve also got a full spare in case that happens. I’ve had my tire totally smashed up and folded over in a ridiculous rock crawling scenario when I was sure it’d bust the bead and it still didn’t pop off.

my first upgrades on your rig would be proper ATs like KO2s or ridge grapplers - and probably a bit of a lift since you’re often weighed down. You could start by scoring a set of Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires for under a grand or shop your own setup for a little more.

Best thing for wheeling often is a nice thick tire with beefier tread that can take the abuse better than the Duelers will.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
The tire is physically clamped into the wheel in a beadlock setup, so you can go to ridiculously low pressures. Honestly though, a standard wheel and tire setup can safely go to 15 and the risk of popping a bead is extremely low. You’ve also got a full spare in case that happens. I’ve had my tire totally smashed up and folded over in a ridiculous rock crawling scenario when I was sure it’d bust the bead and it still didn’t pop off.

my first upgrades on your rig would be proper ATs like KO2s or ridge grapplers - and probably a bit of a lift since you’re often weighed down. You could start by scoring a set of Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires for under a grand or shop your own setup for a little more.

Best thing for wheeling often is a nice thick tire with beefier tread that can take the abuse better than the Duelers will.
Thanks for the advice. I’m actually going to be buying a rubicon. Totaled my Benz a few weeks ago :( the Sahara it’s actually my wife’s but I’ve pretty much stolen it. I want to buy now but waiting for 22s to come out. Just need to get a car off fair in the mean time.
Hoping for U connect 5 or I waited for nothing.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
See https://bt39.com/
You can edit the weight, tire, etc and see how that impacts drop and how close you are to getting a pinch flat.
I plan on adding a menu item to select a variety of 33, 35, 37, 38, 40, and 43 inch tires.
Sponsored