chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I tried this multiple times arranging the fabric in various ways to alleviate any fabric in the creases of the frame and I still can't get that click like in this video. To be clear, I do the EXACT same thing as the guy in the video. Take top down, pull fabric out of any frame joints, lock each side with the levers then push on the corners, no click and no final locking down like the video shows. My top is locked with the levers, but it is not locked down like the video, it still bounces a ton. I've resorted to the velco straps, it's the only thing that works.

These tops are not designed to go past the "resting" collapsed position. Mine won't come close to "clicking" past the lock position or "tucking."
I drop it like normal, slide the tabs on the arms to "lock" and just let it bounce in the wind. It can't go back "up" past the locks anyhow. No Velcro or anything is needed.
Sponsored

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Todd..this is a "known" problem..dare I say a product defect in the design of the wiper electric and washing fluid cable holder.

I'd like to find you where it was discussed..maybe here, YouTube..I don't remember.

It's not you.

Suggestion...? Unattached the device that holds the electric and washer fluid cables from the rig. Connect the cables to it (in its detached state) when you're running with the soft top, and just let the 3 things now connected hang off the rig while using the soft top.

Anyone else you ask: everyone else is my reply.:)
Thank you so much for responding, I didn't know it was a "known" problem, it actually makes me feel better as I thought I was doing something wrong. Just as you suggested, that's what I have been doing.

Thanks again for responding!!!

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
These tops are not designed to go past the "resting" collapsed position. Mine won't come close to "clicking" past the lock position or "tucking."
I drop it like normal, slide the tabs on the arms to "lock" and just let it bounce in the wind. It can't go back "up" past the locks anyhow. No Velcro or anything is needed.
Well, others have reported that if you drive enough with the top down and bouncing around, especially at highway speeds, you can experience rubbing on the fabric top and premature wear. This is the main reason I use a velcro strap to tighten things down.

Also, explain to me the video then. If they are not designed for the second click and lock, how is that guy in the video getting his top to lock down super tightly.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well, others have reported that if you drive enough with the top down and bouncing around, especially at highway speeds, you can experience rubbing on the fabric top and premature wear. This is the main reason I use a velcro strap to tighten things down.

Also, explain to me the video then. If they are not designed for the second click and lock, how is that guy in the video getting his top to lock down super tightly.
My rubi has the non-premium top and is a lot stiffer. It does not feel normal to go too far past the locking sliders. That's what they're there for... so I'm confident letting it just drop and flip the locks.

Last edited:

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I tried this multiple times arranging the fabric in various ways to alleviate any fabric in the creases of the frame and I still can't get that click like in this video. To be clear, I do the EXACT same thing as the guy in the video. Take top down, pull fabric out of any frame joints, lock each side with the levers then push on the corners, no click and no final locking down like the video shows. My top is locked with the levers, but it is not locked down like the video, it still bounces a ton. I've resorted to the velco straps, it's the only thing that works.
Interesting. I actually bought the velcro straps because of the bouncing and reading something on here that suggested using that. I then saw the video on youtube before trying to use the straps and it solved the problem. I did have to push down unusually hard, but it worked. No bounce at all. Before it would bounce up and i was afraid it would open all the way. I felt like that third break light was what was keeping it from bouncing up too high which didn't make me comfortable. not sure why it works for some and not for others... I still have the straps just in case though.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Interesting. I actually bought the velcro straps because of the bouncing and reading something on here that suggested using that. I then saw the video on youtube before trying to use the straps and it solved the problem. I did have to push down unusually hard, but it worked. No bounce at all. Before it would bounce up and i was afraid it would open all the way. I felt like that third break light was what was keeping it from bouncing up too high which didn't make me comfortable. not sure why it works for some and not for others... I still have the straps just in case though.
I pushed down more than unreasonably hard, and still nothing.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I pushed down more than unreasonably hard, and still nothing.
Yea, i'm not sure what is going on there. Even though it works for me, i'm afraid I might be breaking something, doesn't seem like something you should have to do. Like i said, I have the velcro straps too because driving with the top down and having that thing flapping all around took the fun out of the experience for me.

jfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Living the dream
Whoa... what is this witchcraft? I just use 2 bungees to secure my soft top... Wow... I want to go run and take my top down right now to try this crazy locking feature you people speak of.... where's a mind blown emoji when you need one? :champagne: That's all I got... the cork is my head... use your imagination.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Whoa... what is this witchcraft? I just use 2 bungees to secure my soft top... Wow... I want to go run and take my top down right now to try this crazy locking feature you people speak of.... where's a mind blown emoji when you need one? :champagne: That's all I got... the cork is my head... use your imagination.
you should still strap it up, which is why two straps are provided with the soft top