Sponsored

Lowering the soft top

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
question, do you hear the click when lowering your soft top?

Pull the latch downward to release the top, and allow the soft top to slide rearward freely in the guide tracks to the stowed position.

While pushing downward slightly on the folded soft top, slide the lock lever on the driver and passenger side lift assist mechanisms to the “lock” position.

Once the lock is in the “lock” position, push downward on each side of the folded soft top to ensure it is secure. An audible “click” may be heard.
I don't know if it is me with no strength or what...
Sponsored

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think it's you because you have strength Gabby: because you did things correctly!

To point: an owner like you takes the soft top all the way down. They push on the top firmly, as they should, and as you probably did, while they (successfully) lock (i.e. engage, not to be confused with simply pushing the locking lever mechanism to the lock position) one side's lock, then push on the completely opened top firmly again and (successfully) lock (engage) the other side's lock. No click happens, all is good.

Contrast that with the owner who less than enthusiastically pushes down on the completely opened top (to lock it) while pressing one or both of the locks. Let's given them the benefit of the doubt: they're short, can't reach up as much and have a shorter arm span.

Then they do the final step of pushing down on the top, (just as you) with the locks actuated but not engaged (because they didn't push down on the top firm enough when moving the locking levers) and hear a click. The locks engaged when they did that final push down on the top, something that probably already happened for you (hence no click) because your locks "took"...engaged if you will, the moment you slide their levers, because you did push down on the top adequately at the time you moved the locking lever(s).

Push down on the top first when unlocking the levers and attemping to close the top if the locks are stuck.

That's my guess.

Big Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I, likewise, have the same issue. The top seems to bounce quite a bit when it's all the way back. I don't hear the click either. One would think all the bouncing would engage the locking mechanism, but I've seen no evidence of that.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I, likewise, have the same issue. The top seems to bounce quite a bit when it's all the way back. I don't hear the click either. One would think all the bouncing would engage the locking mechanism, but I've seen no evidence of that.

Sully, indulge me.

What would happen to your soft top if, when all the way back, and the two locks have been actuated by you, you tried gently lifting the top back up with your hands without disengaging the locks?

Would the top rise as if the locks weren't even actuated (i.e. locks that have been actuated but not engaged (i.e. clicked) ) or is there merely play in the soft top's movement, but at a high enough point in your attempting to gently raise it, would it go no higher unless you disengaged the locks?

Big Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Sully, indulge me.

What would happen to your soft top if, when all the way back, and the two locks have been actuated by you, you tried gently lifting the top back up with your hands without disengaging the locks?

Would the top rise as if the locks weren't even actuated (i.e. locks that have been actuated but not engaged (i.e. clicked) ) or is there merely play in the soft top's movement, but at a high enough point in your attempting to gently raise it, would it go no higher unless you disengaged the locks?

Russ.. I'll have to try it to the level you've indicated. I did lift it, and it went as high as I pushed. I did not, however, push it all the way up. I was amazed it went as high as I pushed it. I really need to see if it lets me push it all the way up. I've been really annoyed with it on the speed bumps and a potholes. I'll let you know. Sully

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Sully, indulge me.

Yes, it will raise but only to a point. You can not put it back up with the locks engaged.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Yes, it will raise but only to a point. You can not put it back up with the locks engaged.

..if working properly (and it probably is) no doubt...but we're trying to see if the top suffers from defect.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
There is lots of confusion on how this is supposed to work, despite what the owners manual says. @BestopTeam has been tagged a couple of times, with no response. One day, I'm hoping we'll get some guidance.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
There is lots of confusion on how this is supposed to work, despite what the owners manual says. @BestopTeam has been tagged a couple of times, with no response. One day, I'm hoping we'll get some guidance.
Good play Brett. One note. My experience with getting Bestop to talk much about the OEM top is limited.

Their line on more than one occasion with me has been that 'while we make the top for FCA, it is an FCA product and you need to ask them. We don't own it like we do, for example, the Sunrider or Trex NX top.'

A quick anecdote. As remnants of Hurricane Michael passed my way, wind took down one of my tree's branches on the back of my soft top. FWIW I have a DIY roof rack, but someone this fall (as the branch sat quietly by the passenger's side on the ground as if trying to deny fault were it human) cracked the top's rear most bow of the top in two and raised the back passenger's corner too high. Stuff happens. Nobody was hurt.

Metal straps temporarily fixed the bow--a tie down strap between the back passenger's corner and a "D" ring on the tub lip connected to a hard top bolt-- the tops back passenger corner's rise, until the dealer can look at it.

...who I fear is going to ask me as they look at the rig, "this is a JK right?"

I think I know about this top than, to date, the average FCA mechanic--although they do have access to resources who do know, that I don't.

So I called Bestop to see if they or one of their dealers would look at it. 'No can do, that's dealer turf,' was essentially their reply.

:)

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Use the velcro straps - pushing down firmly will damage the top by puncturing the canvas.

I know this because another user has posted the aftermath.

Sponsored

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good play Brett. One note. My experience with getting Bestop to talk much about the OEM top is limited.

Their line on more than one occasion with me has been that 'while we make the top for FCA, it is an FCA product and you need to ask them. We don't own it like we do, for example, the Sunrider or Trex NX top.'

:)
I figured this would be the case, but still worth a shot, until we hear them say it.

Maybe when the Trektop NX is released, it'll function the same way, and we can get an answer on that one that will apply here.

As referenced by the comment above mine, there have been users here that have reported damage from following the instructions in the owners manual, so it's kind of important.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey guys,

So what exactly is the question here? You want instructions on how to correctly put the top down? I am happy to help out where i can, I am just not sure if it is about the "click" or where the confusion is :)

CassieAtBestop

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys,

So what exactly is the question here? You want instructions on how to correctly put the top down? I am happy to help out where i can, I am just not sure if it is about the "click" or where the confusion is :)

CassieAtBestop
Hi Cassie, thank you so much for offering to help us out here. Please take a look at this post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ete-list-in-one-spot.15328/page-9#post-398676

We're looking for guidance on the right way to do this. I posted a video of how I interpreted the manual, and several others agreed, but since then, others have seen that this doesn't appear to be right and might actually cause damage to the top. However, if you don't lock it in place like that, then the top floats up quite a bit at highway speeds, which also doesn't seem right.

Appreciate any feedback that you can provide on the right way to secure the top in the down position.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I tried what this guy did after having the problem with the soft top bouncing all around, and it worked. Not sure if its causing damage or not. Feels like alot of effort to get it to not bounce, but worked for me. Gotta push down pretty hard though.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with mine is that when I try and put it back up it gets caught on the power wiper plug (dual top) every time and I have to unsnap and remove the plug. Anyone else?
Sponsored