Sponsored

Lowering Springs

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Hey guys,
I love the looks of the Wrangler Unlimited but it sits awfully high for an old guy that will never use the vehicle off road. Before buying I looked at aftermarket lowering springs and only found two manufacturers that sell lowering springs, one at 2" and the other 2"-2.5". Is anyone aware of the maximum amount the body can be lowered and where the springs can be purchased? I would not change the size tires for regular road use. I was thinking that it could drop maybe 3" to 3 1/2" due to the excess wheel well space, just not sure. Thanks,
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry George, Jeep guys just don't get the idea of lowering a Wrangler. I really doubt you could lower it 3"+ due to clearance issues with full axles. I think with one of the entry level models, outfitted with small tires and a nice set of side steps, you'd be good. No disrespect, but perhaps one of the "baby" Jeeps would be a better call for you.

OP
OP

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Sorry George, Jeep guys just don't get the idea of lowering a Wrangler. I really doubt you could lower it 3"+ due to clearance issues with full axles. I think with one of the entry level models, outfitted with small tires and a nice set of side steps, you'd be good. No disrespect, but perhaps one of the "baby" Jeeps would be a better call for you.
I understand what you're saying and have been thinking the same. If the 2"-2 1/2" springs are max lowering, then maybe I need to reconsider. Maybe the 3" would be excessive for the wheel well. Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored

OP
OP

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
That's a wonderful idea. But one of the reasons I like the Wrangler is its simplicity. I hate to be adding anything electrical/mechanical but that auto step is such a great idea. Thanks,

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I had considered this option before due to the wife occasionally needing to drive the Jeep with our kid in the back. We decided against it due to the price tag (almost $2K) and went with grab bars and wider running board instead. But if height is the issue and you have difficulty physically pulling yourself in and out, then the Power Step is the way to go. Or go check out the Jeep Renegade, tho when you need a Wrangler you know there's no compromise :)

OP
OP

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
I had considered this option before due to the wife occasionally needing to drive the Jeep with our kid in the back. We decided against it due to the price tag (almost $2K) and went with grab bars and wider running board instead. But if height is the issue and you have difficulty physically pulling yourself in and out, then the Power Step is the way to go. Or go check out the Jeep Renegade, tho when you need a Wrangler you know there's no compromise :)
Well $2K is more than I would want to spend. My choice then would be the 2-21/2 " lowering springs along with the grab bars.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
That amount of drop would likely require modifying the bumpstops and installing shorter shocks. At stock height there's really only about 2.5" - 3" compression up front before the suspension hit the bumpstops. And probably not much more until the shocks themselves bottom out.

OP
OP

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
That amount of drop would likely require modifying the bumpstops and installing shorter shocks. At stock height there's really only about 2.5" - 3" compression up front before the suspension hit the bumpstops. And probably not much more until the shocks themselves bottom out.
Ok, then if the max compression is 2.5" to 3", then I need to accept what is available, and that is the springs that provide 2" to 2 1/2" lowering. would be what you mentioned and the currently available springs would do it. Not sure if this link will work, but here is the link for one of the 2 companies that sell them along with pictures of a lowered Wrangler by 2". I think it looks quite nice.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16193_1000_07.htm
Sponsored