Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Car and Driver took a Toyota RAV4 TRD OffRoad edition off road with a JLUR. Here is the summary:

This, I didn't expect. I figured most of the RAV4's day would be spent on the end of a strap, the Jeep disabusing the Toyota of its off-road delusions one obstacle at a time. Instead, the RAV4 proved that it can actually survive some seriously dumb off-pavement exploits. Sure, all-terrain tires help a ton—we would not expect a lower trim's highway-focused rubber to provide the necessary traction for my antics. Nevertheless, this thing is legit. Yeah, I could've gotten stuck if I had followed the Jeep into the deepest slop, and I would have destroyed the vehicle in the process. In this case, it turns out the crossover off-road fantasy is pretty real.

$15,000 cheaper and it's a CUV. Guess we can sell our Wranglers and don't even need the Tacoma, just the RAV4. :crying:
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...eep-wrangler-rubicon-vs-2020-toyota-rav4-trd/
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Car and Driver took a Toyota RAV4 TRD OffRoad edition off road with a JLUR. Here is the summary:

This, I didn't expect. I figured most of the RAV4's day would be spent on the end of a strap, the Jeep disabusing the Toyota of its off-road delusions one obstacle at a time. Instead, the RAV4 proved that it can actually survive some seriously dumb off-pavement exploits. Sure, all-terrain tires help a ton—we would not expect a lower trim's highway-focused rubber to provide the necessary traction for my antics. Nevertheless, this thing is legit. Yeah, I could've gotten stuck if I had followed the Jeep into the deepest slop, and I would have destroyed the vehicle in the process. In this case, it turns out the crossover off-road fantasy is pretty real.

$15,000 cheaper and it's a CUV. Guess we can sell our Wranglers and don't even need the Tacoma, just the RAV4. :crying:
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...eep-wrangler-rubicon-vs-2020-toyota-rav4-trd/
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! :LOL::LOL:

While they played in the water, mud, and some sharp breaker over angles, there was no rock crawling, muddy and rutted trails, etc.

Plus the RAV4's AWD system overheated???? WTF?? I'll pay the extra $15K and leave the RAV 4 for the hipster crowds.

OP
OP
nerubi

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
But 95% of Wranglers don't do those things unless the mall parking lot is in bad shape. And if they all switch to RAV4 no more Wranglers. But don't worry - I think C&D recently did a 6-way CUV comparison and the RAV4 didn't finish well.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.

Rice burner, no thanks

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i cant see myself in a toyota. the tacoma would be the only thing from tyota i'd get. (maybe a camery). i've looked at the tacoma and kept an open mind to go and test drive one. but i cant talk myself in doing it, let alone buying one.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I bet that Rav4 stickered for more than my Sport S. And it is nowhere near as capable. They clearly said in the article they did not take the same lines with the Rav4 as the Rubicon. And that environment is not even where a Jeep shines. There is no way they could take that Rav4 on rocks.
Sponsored