Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag

Dekeyrelc

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
My issue turned out to be a generator failure. When it stopped charging the 48v battery, it drained to the point where it would no longer charge the 12 v battery. Both batteries and the generator replaced. They said it was the controller that failed in the generator, so I'm still not convinced all these problems aren't software related.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My issue turned out to be a generator failure. When it stopped charging the 48v battery, it drained to the point where it would no longer charge the 12 v battery. Both batteries and the generator replaced. They said it was the controller that failed in the generator, so I'm still not convinced all these problems aren't software related.
I am sorry your problems continued. Perhaps with the replacement of the BSG system you will have a permanent solution. As I said before, my Recon has not yet had the problem. No idea why some have it and other don’t…kind of like hinge corrosion. Thank you for updating your post.

N00B

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Tomorrow morning I'll be bringing my 2019 JLUR 2.0T eTorque to the Jeep dealership in Lakewood CO. My experience is limited to wheeling in 4LO. The Jeep works fine otherwise, I live at altitude and go over high passes often in 2HI with zero problems. But, you knew there was going to be a but, right? But, when in 4LO, and wheeling on a long trail, the engine compartment gets really hot, and the electronics and charging system freak out. It has happened to me twice, on the same trail, one year apart. For those of you familiar with trails in Colorado -- Poughkeepsie Gulch, near Ouray.

Last year, 2021, we stalled when navigating an obstacle, and the Jeep stopped charging the battery, various electronics started shutting down, couldn't shift to park, because that is electronic now too, eventually, the accelerator had zero response, and the battery had minimal charge. Couldn't even turn the Jeep off. We tested the battery, still the OEM, and it looked like two of the cells were shorting. We were able to swap to a different battery and make it down. Drove straight to Autozone and bought a new battery.

The Jeep worked fine since then. On road, off road, 2HI, 4HI, 4LO, no concerns.

Fast forward to this year, 2022. Same trail, same Jeep Jamboree, same symptoms. Probably the same obstacle too. The Jeep stalls, restarts, makes it over the obstacle, and the discharge dance begins. This time, after being towed up to the lunch spot, we take pictures of all of the error codes, pop the hood, disconnect the battery, and notice that the fuse box is incredibly hot. Too hot to touch, so we take the cover off that too and let it cool down over lunch.

We eat lunch, let all of the other Jeeps get over the next obstacle, a wall. Reconnect the battery, close the hood, and go up and over the wall ourselves. Rest of the way, at each stop, we pop the hood to let the engine compartment stay cool.

I have no idea what could be causing the Jeep to discharge or not charge the 12V battery in these specific conditions. But I'm hoping some good notes and a bunch of donuts will help the dealership do some troubleshooting! I am concerned that we are going to get the run-around -- oh, we can't replicate it so there is nothing we can do. That would bother me, a lot.

I'll keep this thread up to date and let you all know how it goes, good or bad.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...after being towed up to the lunch spot, we take pictures of all of the error codes, pop the hood, disconnect the battery, and notice that the fuse box is incredibly hot. Too hot to touch, so we take the cover off that too and let it cool down over lunch.
That would be genuinely alarming, since heat = resistance. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I'd really want to know the nature of the heating, even if it's a collateral response to the separate and original problem.

N00B

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19JLUR
Build Thread
Link
That would be genuinely alarming, since heat = resistance. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I'd really want to know the nature of the heating, even if it's a collateral response to the separate and original problem.
RIGHT?!?!

When I was an electronics technician in the Navy I was responsible for the IFF systems. These systems were extremely sensitive to heat and frequently overheated in normal use. Mostly an airflow problem, the fans were not sized to move enough air through the equipment and over the circuit boards. The readouts would become intermittent. Frequently, I would solve this by just opening the box and letting the various circuit boards cool down.

Sponsored

vmdirt

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Tomorrow morning I'll be bringing my 2019 JLUR 2.0T eTorque to the Jeep dealership in Lakewood CO. My experience is limited to wheeling in 4LO. The Jeep works fine otherwise, I live at altitude and go over high passes often in 2HI with zero problems. But, you knew there was going to be a but, right? But, when in 4LO, and wheeling on a long trail, the engine compartment gets really hot, and the electronics and charging system freak out. It has happened to me twice, on the same trail, one year apart. For those of you familiar with trails in Colorado -- Poughkeepsie Gulch, near Ouray.

Last year, 2021, we stalled when navigating an obstacle, and the Jeep stopped charging the battery, various electronics started shutting down, couldn't shift to park, because that is electronic now too, eventually, the accelerator had zero response, and the battery had minimal charge. Couldn't even turn the Jeep off. We tested the battery, still the OEM, and it looked like two of the cells were shorting. We were able to swap to a different battery and make it down. Drove straight to Autozone and bought a new battery.

The Jeep worked fine since then. On road, off road, 2HI, 4HI, 4LO, no concerns.

Fast forward to this year, 2022. Same trail, same Jeep Jamboree, same symptoms. Probably the same obstacle too. The Jeep stalls, restarts, makes it over the obstacle, and the discharge dance begins. This time, after being towed up to the lunch spot, we take pictures of all of the error codes, pop the hood, disconnect the battery, and notice that the fuse box is incredibly hot. Too hot to touch, so we take the cover off that too and let it cool down over lunch.

We eat lunch, let all of the other Jeeps get over the next obstacle, a wall. Reconnect the battery, close the hood, and go up and over the wall ourselves. Rest of the way, at each stop, we pop the hood to let the engine compartment stay cool.

I have no idea what could be causing the Jeep to discharge or not charge the 12V battery in these specific conditions. But I'm hoping some good notes and a bunch of donuts will help the dealership do some troubleshooting! I am concerned that we are going to get the run-around -- oh, we can't replicate it so there is nothing we can do. That would bother me, a lot.

I'll keep this thread up to date and let you all know how it goes, good or bad.
This sounds "exactly" like my experience last month in Colorado (worst was over California Pass). I posted my experience a page or so back. I also have the 2019 Etorque 2.0 Rubicon, everything you mentioned happened to me although I didn't notice the hot fuse box. The voltage got down to 8 volts and shifted itself into park and I was done. I also could not turn the power off. I didconnected and reconnected the battery to shut the power off. Got a bit of a charge over jumper cables, started it back up and everything charged back up and was good for the rest of the trip. If you can, get one of those dealership people to go out on a trail ride with you and try to recreate it assuming they can't find anything wrong (which I am sure they won't). I don't think I can recreate the problem here in flat land Illinois but it's happened to me on my last two Colorado trips in that roughly same area you were in. I've only had the problem in 4lo in the high passes.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When I was an electronics technician in the Navy I was responsible for the IFF systems.
Identify Friend or Foe? We used the same shorthand. Ours had to be an expedient reconciliation, too, since the Combat Controllers were directing Warthog fire.

GAU-8 Avenger 30-mm hydraulically driven seven-barrel Gatling-type cannon

Ahh. I just like typing it all out. :)

vmdirt

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Identify Friend or Foe? We used the same shorthand. Ours had to be an expedient reconciliation, too, since the Combat Controllers were directing Warthog fire.

Coincidentally I was a crew chief on A10s for 6 years out of Myrtle Beach (86-92). :)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Coincidentally I was a crew chief on A10s for 6 years out of Myrtle Beach (86-92). :)
Mm. We wore the uniform for much of the same time.

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

BBBRRRR

There went 1,000 rounds

Sponsored

vmdirt

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Mm. We wore the uniform for much of the same time.
I was in from 81-96. Started on F16s at Nellis, then F4s in Germany, then A10s in Myrtle Beach. After the war I decided to retrain into Computer programming and finished out at Scott AFB. :)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was in from 81-96. Started on F16s at Nellis, then F4s in Germany, then A10s in Myrtle Beach. After the war I decided to retrain into Computer programming and finished out at Scott AFB. :)
Another Small World Moment™. I received orders for Scott, but was diverted to Hurlburt at the last minute.

vmdirt

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Another Small World Moment™. I received orders for Scott, but was diverted to Hurlburt at the last minute.
That had to be rough. I think you made out on that deal. :)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That had to be rough. I think you made out on that deal. :)
You would think, but Florida held and holds no appeal for me. The 18 months I was there was just a transaction. I had been looking forward to Scott, actually, but needs must and so I landed in God's Waiting Room the Sunshine State. :)