Sponsored

Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The JL 2.0t with etorque has torque limiting from the factory in 4LO. After 2+ years of wheeling, the low voltage issue that is common to many of us with the 2.0t etorque has happened to us ~10 times. Every time it happens we were in 4LO, so I became militant about watching voltage when off road, especially if I need 4LO. Without fail, if we stop in drive for more than a few seconds, voltage begins to fall. Quick shift back to 4 high and the voltage goes right back up. I canā€™t say how or why, or if my theory holds true, but I think the same software that limits torque is somehow limiting charging. Yes, in theory I will be more likely to break an axle shaft without the torque limiting, but Iā€™m not in 4lo because I want less torque. Iā€™m hoping it works, but itā€™s all theory at this point. On the bright side, the extra torque at lower rpms from the tune will allow me to wheel more comfortably in 4HI even if my weird 4LO voltage drop remains.
Does your Jeep still have the start-stop events, or does it constantly say that it's "not ready"?
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Does your Jeep still have the start-stop events, or does it constantly say that it's "not ready"?
Iā€™ve had it disabled via the tazer for over a year now. At this point the trail dash 3 is ordered, Iā€™m hoping this is the cure. I havenā€™t tried putting it in 4lo in the driveway and seeing if the voltage dives there, but before I swap the pcm I might. If it turns out to be that repeatable, I might take it to the dealer and get them to warranty the bsg, battery, and battery management unit before they admit they have no idea how to fix it. Why not replace a bunch of 40k mile parts with new ones for free before I fix it for Jeep who canā€™t seem to figure it out?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Can anyone having this issue confirm that their Jeep can do a start/stop?

I haven't experienced the low voltage issue myself, but I do know that my start/stop no longer functions due to the 48V battery constantly in a "not ready" state... what I'm guessing is that it won't hold a large enough charge or the (48V battery) voltage is too low. If I'm remembering correctly it used to do a start/stop even while in 4-low.

Basically I'm wondering if the low voltage issues on the 12V side could be caused by a failing 48V battery. Hopefully not, but at least the fix should be free (until year 8).

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
Out wheeling today, reaffirmed my suspicion that the low voltage issue on our 2019 is 100% 4lo related. Hit a very technical section with large boulders, requiring 4lo and the rear locker. Because of past issues I had the voltmeter pulled up on the uconnect screen. Within 2 minutes of 4lo, voltage had dropped to 10.7v. Fortunately we were through the obstacle already. Back to 4hi, voltage immediately climbed back to 13.5v. Didnā€™t even need to shut it off this time. Luckily, this was 1 time too many for the wife, so the Superchips tuner and trail dash 3 combo are ordered. I will update this thread with results, but Iā€™m hoping the tune eliminating the factory torque limiting in 4lo will kill this issue once and for all.
I was thinking the same thing. I ordered the Trail Dash 2 because it said it was compatible with the 2.0 T engine, but i had to return it because it's NOT compatible with the 2.0 HYBRID engine. I didn't even know the 2.0 came in a non hybrid option. I guess make sure your engine isn't a light hybrid version, in my experience a lot of people don't realize they have it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I was thinking the same thing. I ordered the Trail Dash 2 because it said it was compatible with the 2.0 T engine, but i had to return it because it's NOT compatible with the 2.0 HYBRID engine. I didn't even know the 2.0 came in a non hybrid option. I guess make sure your engine isn't a light hybrid version, in my experience a lot of people don't realize they have it.
If you're referring to the etorque, the td3 is 100% compatible with it. Every 2018/2019 2.0t had etorque. It works like a charm and feels more powerful for sure. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and test it out in 4lo.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Can anyone having this issue confirm that their Jeep can do a start/stop?

I haven't experienced the low voltage issue myself, but I do know that my start/stop no longer functions due to the 48V battery constantly in a "not ready" state... what I'm guessing is that it won't hold a large enough charge or the (48V battery) voltage is too low. If I'm remembering correctly it used to do a start/stop even while in 4-low.

Basically I'm wondering if the low voltage issues on the 12V side could be caused by a failing 48V battery. Hopefully not, but at least the fix should be free (until year 8).
Turned the ess back on just to test, as it's been disabled via tazer for over a year. It still works fine, so I don't think there's anything wrong with our 48v battery.

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're referring to the etorque, the td3 is 100% compatible with it. Every 2018/2019 2.0t had etorque. It works like a charm and feels more powerful for sure. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and test it out in 4lo.
Let us know! I was hoping that somebody would reply to confirm that the E torque is compatible with the third trail Dash version. A worthwhile upgrade for sure

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good, thanks for expanding on the situation. I'm excited to hear if your theory holds up with the Superchips tune.

I wonder if TazerJL mini will come out with a setting that could adjust this as well (as I already own that device.).

FWIW, I went and put my JL in 4 LO in an empty parking lot after reading your description and couldn't duplicate the voltage drop. I wonder if the system has to be under some load as opposed to me driving 4 MPH in a parking lot in 4 LO to see the voltage drop. As for when I actually experienced this battery issue, I'm pretty sure it was in 4LO on the top of Blanca peak when it happened to me.
I'm confident that it does have to be in 4 low under some kind of load. The dealership has not been able to duplicate it in 4low in their parking lot

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's compatible with the "mild hybrid" aka eTorque 2.0T and with the non-eTorque. It's not compatible with the 4xe yet. I know they are working on adding that in. The 4xe has the same engine but liekly a different tune or calibration since it works in conjunction with an electric motor powerful enough to drive the jeep by itself.

btw I have an eTorque 2.0T so I know it's compatible with that combo.

Also make sure you get a Trail Dash 3. Not sure about TD2 compatibility. Also the TD3 is 100% new hardware.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
3+ hours in 4lo, mud, dirt, small rocks, and snow at up to 8500' elevation today and the voltage never dipped once. The superchips tune is amazing in 4LO. No torque limiting so throttle response is killer. This is the first time in years we've been able to wheel in 4LO for more than 15 minutes without the voltage dropping. 13.9-14v all day. If the charging issue is legitimately cured this easily, F@CK jeep and every one of their engineers, mechanics, and technicians for making me figure this out for myself.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
We traded our 2020 Rubicon Recon with this piece of shit drivetrain. 14 Wranglers, and this is the first one to leave us stranded on the trail. Shit on the EPA and FCAā€™s weak attempt to comply.

Just before we found out it was a piece of shit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag 1D650132-1273-4D1C-8DAD-7409E5986382

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We traded our 2020 Rubicon Recon with this piece of shit drivetrain. 14 Wranglers, and this is the first one to leave us stranded on the trail. Shit on the EPA and FCAā€™s weak attempt to comply.

Just before we found out it was a piece of shit.

1D650132-1273-4D1C-8DAD-7409E5986382.jpeg
Fortunately the tuner seems to have fixed the issue. Ours never left us stranded, but came close the first time it happened. After wheeling Fins & things and Hell's Revenge back to back in 104ā° heat, just passed escalator on the way out the low voltage light came on and the engine died. Something like 9 volts was reading on the gauge cluster. Shut it off, popped the hood, checked all the connections. It started right back up, but voltage would plummet if we stopped. I hauled ass out of there and once on the road (back in 2wd) the voltage never dipped below 13.5v. I hope it was a fluke, but watched the voltmeter the next 2 days, Top of the World and Poison Spider through golden spike and out gold bar. Never dropped below 13.5v but was in 4 hi on both trails. Watching the voltmeter like a hawk every time we were out, it wasn't until a year later that I figured out it only happened in 4LO. It wasn't until poughkeepsie Gulch in July this year that I figured out that it would drop volts any time we stopped in gear in 4LO. Keep moving, no issue. 4HI no issue. That's where my torque limiting software causing the issue theory was born. Today, I think my theory proved true. I was in 4LO for hours, and intentionally stopped and idled in drive dozens of times. Voltage was steady the whole time. All that to say the drivetrain is far from shit, in my opinion quite the opposite. This is by far my favorite drivetrain in any of the 15 Jeeps we've owned over the years. The 8 speed auto is the best auto trans I've driven in any vehicle. The 2.0t is quick enough to be fun to drive, and maintains power at elevation like no NA motor ever could. The JLU is the best riding and best handling wrangler ever produced. Granted some of those things carry across other engine choices, but I would pick the 2.0t over the v6 any day of the week. Especially now with the tune. 0-60 in under 7s on stock gears and 37's and 17-20mpg. Light and fun to drive. No complaints other than the charging issue that seems to be solve, no thanks to Jeep. Sure the 392 would be a blast, but $20k more fun? I don't think so. Not to mention I hate body color hard top and fenders. It's a shame that Jeep hasn't figured out that their torque limiting is a problem.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Fortunately the tuner seems to have fixed the issue. Ours never left us stranded, but came close the first time it happened. After wheeling Fins & things and Hell's Revenge back to back in 104ā° heat, just passed escalator on the way out the low voltage light came on and the engine died. Something like 9 volts was reading on the gauge cluster. Shut it off, popped the hood, checked all the connections. It started right back up, but voltage would plummet if we stopped. I hauled ass out of there and once on the road (back in 2wd) the voltage never dipped below 13.5v. I hope it was a fluke, but watched the voltmeter the next 2 days, Top of the World and Poison Spider through golden spike and out gold bar. Never dropped below 13.5v but was in 4 hi on both trails. Watching the voltmeter like a hawk every time we were out, it wasn't until a year later that I figured out it only happened in 4LO. It wasn't until poughkeepsie Gulch in July this year that I figured out that it would drop volts any time we stopped in gear in 4LO. Keep moving, no issue. 4HI no issue. That's where my torque limiting software causing the issue theory was born. Today, I think my theory proved true. I was in 4LO for hours, and intentionally stopped and idled in drive dozens of times. Voltage was steady the whole time. All that to say the drivetrain is far from shit, in my opinion quite the opposite. This is by far my favorite drivetrain in any of the 15 Jeeps we've owned over the years. The 8 speed auto is the best auto trans I've driven in any vehicle. The 2.0t is quick enough to be fun to drive, and maintains power at elevation like no NA motor ever could. The JLU is the best riding and best handling wrangler ever produced. Granted some of those things carry across other engine choices, but I would pick the 2.0t over the v6 any day of the week. Especially now with the tune. 0-60 in under 7s on stock gears and 37's and 17-20mpg. Light and fun to drive. No complaints other than the charging issue that seems to be solve, no thanks to Jeep. Sure the 392 would be a blast, but $20k more fun? I don't think so. Not to mention I hate body color hard top and fenders. It's a shame that Jeep hasn't figured out that their torque limiting is a problem.
Glad you seem to have yours sorted and are happy with it. We had the exact same problem as you and others in this thread had. We ordered a 392XR, but, I couldnā€™t bring myself to pay that much for another potential headache. I have never liked the 2.0 or eTorque, so, it looks like we can order a Willys with the 3.6L with auto, without eTorque, so we will just order one of those to use as a toy.

I hope your problem is resolved. Enjoy

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Back on page 8, (sept of 2020) I posted that I had this issue after driving in 4Lo on a very tough trail at 10k feet (Blanca Peak in Colorado). After that I had the dealer look at it and they updated the PCM ("12260 FLASHED PCM AND ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE MODULE FOR UPDATES. NO CODE AFTER FLASH")

Until now I haven't pushed the Jeep hard enough to reproduce the issue.

Last week I joined two friends in Moab and over two days we did Fins & Things, Poison Spider Mesa, and Hell's Revenge. My Jeep was in 4Lo nearly the entire time and you can bet I had the voltage meter up the entire time. After two days of what I'd call moderately hard off-roading, I did not experience the voltage issue at all. My Jeep stayed between 13.7 - 14.4 volts over the entire trip.

So, is it fixed? I can't say 100% for certain. I can tell you the operating conditions this time were ambient temps in the 50's - 60's, elevation around 4,500, and constantly in 4 Lo for literally the entire day.

Just a data point for everyone keeping track.

Also, Moab was incredible.

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3+ hours in 4lo, mud, dirt, small rocks, and snow at up to 8500' elevation today and the voltage never dipped once. The superchips tune is amazing in 4LO. No torque limiting so throttle response is killer. This is the first time in years we've been able to wheel in 4LO for more than 15 minutes without the voltage dropping. 13.9-14v all day. If the charging issue is legitimately cured this easily, F@CK jeep and every one of their engineers, mechanics, and technicians for making me figure this out for myself.
So did you just do the standard "super chips tune" option? I know they have a 91 octane and 87 octane option as well on the initial tuning screen
Sponsored