Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
So are all these e-torque issues the reason this engine is no longer offered in 2021? I am about to take delivery of a 2020 Recon and I am concerns about this power plant. Should I be worried?
I would be.
Sponsored

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
Got ours back from the dealer today. Findings are:
1600556054338.png

Hopefully, it's fixed but we won't be using 4L again until our next off road event in November and it's here in Texas so no real elevation.
Mine has had this issue twice at 11kft in 4H. The first time was not even at slow speeds. I was going on a dirt road (Boreas Pass) at approximately 10-20 mph. The second time...after a dealer examination “couldn’t replicate”, was up Sts John pass in 4H but moving probably in the 3 mph range. And more disturbing, it happened after turning the engine off at the top and restarting. I had to bust out of there quickly to make sure i could get to a place a tow truck could get to if necessary. I made it home with virtually all electronics shut down, killed the engine, restarted, all systems good. I have no faith in this engine getting me home.

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer replaced my belt tensioner twice because the bearings kept going bad but unfortunately couldn't find a way to duplicate or fix the issue. I went to Ouray in Oct last year and sure enough, the Jeep went crazy near the top of Engineer pass. I was in 4L crawling slowly up the mountain. The good thing is I've learned to shut down and restart as soon as the first symptom shows up and the system starts to charge again. But the question is how long will it be before restarting won't help anymore? I'm starting to think this maybe a software issue. Hardware problems don't usually "cure" themselves from a simple restart?

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Will the 3.6L e-torque will have the same issue? If it's software related, you would think it would since it is the same charging system.

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will the 3.6L e-torque will have the same issue? If it's software related, you would think it would since it is the same charging system.
I'm really not sure but I would be surprised if the code is 100% the same

Sponsored

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
My dealer replaced my belt tensioner twice because the bearings kept going bad but unfortunately couldn't find a way to duplicate or fix the issue. I went to Ouray in Oct last year and sure enough, the Jeep went crazy near the top of Engineer pass. I was in 4L crawling slowly up the mountain. The good thing is I've learned to shut down and restart as soon as the first symptom shows up and the system starts to charge again. But the question is how long will it be before restarting won't help anymore? I'm starting to think this maybe a software issue. Hardware problems don't usually "cure" themselves from a simple restart?
Same here. I shut off the engine immediately for a minute or two and then turn it on and let it re charge.... this usually happens pretty quickly for me though, usually in 4 low crawling slowly Up a hill, and my engine typically just shuts off before I realize it’s happening. Super fun to deal with on a narrow shelf road. 🤬
But I spend 12 or more weekends a year driving trails all day so I’ve just accepted that this is part of the experience now. : (

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would be.
They still offer it in 2021 but only on the 3.6. You know what to watch for from these threads. Keep your eyes open. It doesn't happen to everyone. I think that's the problem. All the 2019 2.0 motors had etorque, and some of the 2020s. I'm not saying there's no problem, but it's not everyone. I have a recon and never had the problem, but I don't do a lot of rock crawling and I'm at sea level. I love my recon btw.

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
I still haven't had a chance to test my vehicle at high altitude after the dealer flashed my PCM and brake module in the fall.

It's mind-blowing that we all have the exact same symptoms yet nearly every repair appears different. Everything from module flashes to battery replacements to hardware adjustments. It appears Jeep is just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping one of these attempts fixes it.

Does anyone in this thread have evidence that their dealership successful made the issue go away on their vehicle with their specific fix?
My2019 JLUR died on the trail again, last weekend, on Balanced Rock. Same issue as always. Jeep stalls, restart and drive for a bit... voltage starts to drop and eventually dies. Get out, do a quick jumpstart, and the charging system starts working again and the check engine light eventually goes off.

#Jeepcares, I’ll be opening my case, again, and I’ll be contacting my attorney if you don’t have a fix. 3 trips to the dealership, absolutely nothing fixed and no clue what causes it.

This issue will kill someone that is unprepared.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Mine has had this issue twice at 11kft in 4H. The first time was not even at slow speeds. I was going on a dirt road (Boreas Pass) at approximately 10-20 mph. The second time...after a dealer examination “couldn’t replicate”, was up Sts John pass in 4H but moving probably in the 3 mph range. And more disturbing, it happened after turning the engine off at the top and restarting. I had to bust out of there quickly to make sure i could get to a place a tow truck could get to if necessary. I made it home with virtually all electronics shut down, killed the engine, restarted, all systems good. I have no faith in this engine getting me home.
I drove this exact route last summer with my 2020 Recon...2.0 etorque. No issues but I was very concerned because this problem seems to relate to high altitudes. I will continue to monitor this thread and hope the best for those of you with Jeep’s having this serious defect.

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
I drove this exact route last summer with my 2020 Recon...2.0 etorque. No issues but I was very concerned because this problem seems to relate to high altitudes. I will continue to monitor this thread and hope the best for those of you with Jeep’s having this serious defect.
I’m not so sure it is an elevation issue. I have had this issue in Idaho Springs which is only about 7500 feet. It seems like it is an E torque issue which really should have nothing to do with oxygen levels. I have noticed if I don’t deflate my oversize tires as much or not at all, I have LESS of an issue. And since this always happens when going up a hill or over an obstacle slowly ( ie, more electric power is being used then gas powered) that the issue has to do with the available electric power output. I’m not an expert but I’ve been thinking about this for a year and a half and it makes sense to me. Not quite sure why jeep can’t figure it out

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I had the same problem up on Holy Cross in the summer. Down to 9.6 volts and finally died. Jump started it and everything was fine. Happened twice. Replaced battery with a Northstar (Odyssey) everything has been fine since. Not a single hiccup, up and down in elevation, 4 low for hours at high altitudes, 4 high etc. These new vehicles are extremely sensitive to low voltage that a bad battery can exhibit, but still show charging.

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Are you guys carrying a portable jump pack to restart your vehicles? What type are you using?

As for replacing the battery, I see @OnlyOne has a Northstar battery - has anyone tried an Optima Red Top? I've used them in older vehicles to much success, but I don't know if that would improve the situation on a complex vehicle like these.

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you guys carrying a portable jump pack to restart your vehicles? What type are you using?

As for replacing the battery, I see @OnlyOne has a Northstar battery - has anyone tried an Optima Red Top? I've used them in older vehicles to much success, but I don't know if that would improve the situation on a complex vehicle like these.
This is what I use. I like it because it can read batt voltage and has plenty of MAH. It stays in my Jeep full time. I've jump started a couple of cars with it before but not my own Jeep. It fires them right up but the cable could smoke a bit from the energy so it's a bit scary. No fires to report though. :)

Cujo7240

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler 2dr Rubicon
I have a 2019 JL with 2.0L turbo engine and I've been having battery charging issues, but on the trail but during normal driving/ commuting with mainly highway driving.
I became aware of the battery issue when I started the Jeep one Monday morning and got a message that my Aux Switches were being disabled due to low voltage. So I began putting a smart battery charger on my battery on the weekend. I always test the batteries voltage prior to putting the charger on and I get about 12.03V. According to a chart I have, 12.06V represents a 50 % state of charge for an installed battery. When I hook up the charger it first analyzes the battery and indicated that my battery was heavily sulfated. This causes the charger to go into a "save mode" to first desulfate the battery and then it resumes normal charging mode until fully charged. This action restores the battery to a fully charged state. On Monday it's back to work and I drive 50 miles per day and the Jeep starts up fine all week. I check the battery voltage the following Saturday and I find it's again at 12.04, so I again repeat the charging steps and the charger again indicates a heavily sulfated battery condition. The charger does restore the charge state. This has been going on for several months now. When I'm driving and monitoring the voltage Guage it shows 14.5 to 14.7V consistently, so apparently the generator is working. I was starting to think maybe I had a bad battery, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure. I have never tested the 48V lithium ion battery voltage as of yet, since I'm not really certain how to do this....Any thoughts?
Sponsored