Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Sunday, 8/30

Empire/Dumont Loop
• Started in Empire and made it up to Bill Moore Lake
• Began decent and turned off for the creek trail.
○ Shortly after crossing the first (small) creek, the jeep stalled on the trail. After restarting:
§ the Check engine light came on
§ the battery began losing voltage (~13.5… 12, 11, 10, 9…)
§ Every warning light eventually turned on… and throttle became very jerky and eventually unresponsive.
□ @ ~9.3 volts, I stopped on the trail, connected my portable battery to the (running) jeep, and turned on the portable battery. The stopping point was ~ 1/2 way between the 2 creek crossings.
® Voltage would go up but would immediately drop if I turned off the portable battery… so I decided to turn off the jeep as well as the portable battery because I was concerned I would eventually drain my portable battery pack and be stranded. (took a picture of the dash)
® Engine temp was fine and external temp was 61 degrees and it started to rain
◊ Waited about 20 to 30 minutes and decided to jumpstart the engine.
} Jumpstart worked and the battery voltage (dash readout) returned to over 13v… but all the warning lights remained on… Having no other options, I decided to continue through the trail and exit, via Red Elephant/Dumont, Co.
– The battery maintained the charge and appeared to be working after it was jumpstarted… though the check engine light and warning lights remained on.
w Drove home and made the next available appointment at the dealership…
w Also called @JeepCares to open a report (case# 77095216)
Sponsored

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Monday, 8/31

Jeep Dealership
Late Afternoon, I dropped off the Jeep at the dealership and received a loaner and requested a refund from my previous visit and gave them the Jeep Cares case #.

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Thursday, 9/3

Called Jeep Dealership
I had not received any updates and I was unable to get ahold of anyone. Left a message with Allen, left a message with Rebecca, and tried to call and speak to someone that would answer the phone. At the end of the day, I did get someone to answer and he checked on the vehicle… but was not able to tell me anything about what was going on.

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Friday, 9/4

Called Jeep Dealership
• Talked to the service advisor and was told that the jeep was ready. They received multiple faults and they applied several TSB's…
○ I was told that I would need to take the jeep, off-road, and put it under the same conditions and see if the problem persists.
○ I was also told that the dealership would refund the charges from my previous visit.

Jeep Cares called me (Dee)
• Dee called and left a voice mail. She told me that they had not received a notification, from the dealership, that my jeep had been serviced. As a result, I had until the following week (ending 9/11) to take the jeep in for service, or else they could close my case.

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Saturday, 9/5

Empire/Dumont Loop
• Took the same trip as I did on 8/30 and did not have any issues!

Sponsored

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Sunday, 9/6

Red Cone Peak (+12,000 feet
• Took my wife on a trip to drive the mountain pass, Red Cone.
○ About 1/2 mile from the peak, my check engine light comes on.
§ Service ABS… a few moments later:
□ Service 4 wheel drive…
® I place the jeep in park, try to take it out of 4-Lo… I think I ended up placing it in Neutral before it would change… Took it out of Low and placed it back into 4-low…
◊ Placed the Jeep in Drive and it felt like I did not have any engine… just battery propulsion @ about 1 MPH… No engine rev at all…
◊ The battery voltage started to drop so I pulled off the trail and turned off the jeep.
} Took a brief walk with my wife and dog… and Jump-started the jeep ~ 5 to 10 minutes later.
– All the warning lights stayed on but the charging system was working again (after the jump).
– Continued up to the top (12,800 feet). Turned off the Jeep and took some pictures.
w Got back in and began our descent to Webster pass for another stop and take pictures…
w We returned to the Jeep and restarted it. This time, the service ABS light came off as did the service 4 wheel drive… The check engine light was the only issue that remained.
w We continued our descent down to the bottom. We stopped along the creek, at several locations, and the check engine light eventually turned off…

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Tuesday, 9/8

Called Jeep Cares
• 4:38, MST Called Dee back @ 844-533-7928, x4060919… but the extension did not have a voice mailbox!
• 4:40, MST Called Jeep cares and spoke to "Bobby." He added a note to my case, indicating I had been in for service, and told me that he would send Dee an IM… and I will be receiving a callback…

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
Friday, 9/11

Still, no call back from @JeepCares and I've been too busy to deal with it.

Blackjeepjlu

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What should the voltage be? Mine usually runs 14.8. We left Silverton, Co this morning around 10:30am and the voltage was 14.8 by the time we got to Trinidad, Co at 6:30 the voltage was fluctuating between 13.5 - 13.8. Ever since Sunday when we had the issue the voltage has been between 13.8 - 14.1 and that's with no radio, no A/C (didn't need it thanks to the snow)
and nothing else plugged in. Since we're driving back to Texas we stopped to have the battery checked and it checked out good. We already have an appointment at our dealer for Monday morning.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I drove Georgia Pass in Co. in July without incident. That said Georgia Pass is only 11,600 feet. I’ve not been on anything higher with my 2.0 since owning it. This thread greatly concerns me.

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Friday, 9/11

I had the same issue down in southern Utah. Low voltage and all the other issues you had. Had it towed to the dealer. They replaced the TIPM (fuse box). Now it’s fixed. I would have them look at that. Good luck

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Friday, 9/11

Hi @Philip,

We would be happy to look into your case for an update and notate that you are looking for contact from your case manager. Please send us a PM with your case number to get started.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
What should the voltage be? Mine usually runs 14.8. We left Silverton, Co this morning around 10:30am and the voltage was 14.8 by the time we got to Trinidad, Co at 6:30 the voltage was fluctuating between 13.5 - 13.8. Ever since Sunday when we had the issue the voltage has been between 13.8 - 14.1 and that's with no radio, no A/C (didn't need it thanks to the snow)
and nothing else plugged in. Since we're driving back to Texas we stopped to have the battery checked and it checked out good. We already have an appointment at our dealer for Monday morning.
I would not worry about it while you're in that range. I live in Colorado and my JLUR runs in the 13's when everything is running well. The sudden voltage issues have only ever happened to me on the trail... where you cannot get a tow truck.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Has this happened to anyone at lower altitude, say below 4000 foot? I saw someone mention it happened near Moab which is around 4,000'. If the fuse box replacement fixed it, this would seem to be unrelated to altitude, but most reports are coming from higher altitudes.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Has this happened to anyone at lower altitude, say below 4000 foot? I saw someone mention it happened near Moab which is around 4,000'. If the fuse box replacement fixed it, this would seem to be unrelated to altitude, but most reports are coming from higher altitudes.
i think it has to do with vibration and the rough road we experience off road. Not altitude. At least in my case it was.
Sponsored