Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
It has now happened to me twice and both time I was running Street pressure or close to it because I was being lazy and didn’t want to air down, plus I am always curious as to what this little Jeep can do with high pressure in the tires. I run 38s by the way so it’s already an extra strain with out airing down. Now I have never had this problem when aired down so I’m convinced it’s has nothing to do with tire pressure or altitude but is some software problem. First time was told loose ground, looked this time my self on the trail and couldn’t find any loose grounds, at least now after reading on here if it happens again when I get it back I’ll try the shutting down approach and see what happens, haven’t wanted to try that as I was worried about draining battery down more
Well that's frustrating, just when I start to think I might have a cause somebody blows up my theory. it does seem that one consistent correlation is large tires. So torque may very well have a lot to do with it, ie, software.
Sponsored

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine will not correct itself once in 2 wheel drive and at speed it just keeps dropping tell it gets below 9 volts than you lose power steering, shortly after that it will die and not restart
that's weird and frustrating. Did you ever turn it off and let it sit for a while or did you just drive it straight through? because I have found that if I don't turn it off it will continue to drop even at high speeds.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Is the fan running all the time (as in is the AC on?). Do you live around that altitude and is it where you do most of your driving? Is the engine running rough?

Just questions that run through my mind. Mine ran rough the first time I hit 10k ft. Turned it off and restarted and it was fine. Beyond that, I’m at a loss to guesses.

JL_James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
that's weird and frustrating. Did you ever turn it off and let it sit for a while or did you just drive it straight through? because I have found that if I don't turn it off it will continue to drop even at high speeds.
I haven’t tried the turn it off thing, I didn’t want to take the chance it wouldn’t start way out in the middle of no where, both time Baja it back closer to civilization tell it died than it is to low to even jump, hey at least this time it didn’t smell like it was burning to the ground, kind wish it would at this point though

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 x2
Occupation
IT Strategy Consultant
I live in Colorado and wheel every weekend. Same deal as always… 4 wheel low, crawling up an incline, and it dies. After restarting, the battery slowly drains… warning lights come on, electronics begin to fail, and she dies.

Jeep dealership has been trying to get to the bottom of it, even admits there is an issue, but has never been able to solve anything.

After 2 years, six different extended stays at the dealership, 6 or more different Star cases, and endless calls with Jeep, the last Star caseworker told me it was “as designed,” and wouldn’t do anything to help me.

My advice to everyone is to dump your 2019 2.0 etorque because Jeep does not care about their cars or their customers.

Two 392 Rubicons, one 2019 JLUR, one 1999 grand Cherokee limited, and one 1997 Dodge Ram from them and they did nothing!

Absolutely worthless company and I’ll be happy to join everyone in a lawsuit.

Sponsored

JL_James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well that's frustrating, just when I start to think I might have a cause somebody blows up my theory. it does seem that one consistent correlation is large tires. So torque may very well have a lot to do with it, ie, software.
1st time was all stock with just 35s so I don’t know if that would really count as large tires and they where aired at about 25 psi if I remember correctly, this time I did have 38s but was running 35 because I was being lazy and trail wasn’t really that hard

JL_James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is the fan running all the time (as in is the AC on?). Do you live around that altitude and is it where you do most of your driving? Is the engine running rough?

Just questions that run through my mind. Mine ran rough the first time I hit 10k ft. Turned it off and restarted and it was fine. Beyond that, I’m at a loss to guesses.
I live at 7300 feet and this was maybe 9-10. I cut my vents and liners the day before to help get heat out because I get tired of hearing the fans a lot when out wheeling and it did seam to help with keeping them from coming on. No AC at the time this happened and only a cell plugged in charging. It did die and pop out of 4 low(seams like a common thing also dealer says they can’t fix) and once restarted is when its didn’t want to charge. If it does it again when I get it back will definitely try the shit down and restart and see what happens.

JL_James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I live in Colorado and wheel every weekend. Same deal as always… 4 wheel low, crawling up an incline, and it dies. After restarting, the battery slowly drains… warning lights come on, electronics begin to fail, and she dies.

Jeep dealership has been trying to get to the bottom of it, even admits there is an issue, but has never been able to solve anything.

After 2 years, six different extended stays at the dealership, 6 or more different Star cases, and endless calls with Jeep, the last Star caseworker told me it was “as designed,” and wouldn’t do anything to help me.

My advice to everyone is to dump your 2019 2.0 etorque because Jeep does not care about their cars or their customers.

Two 392 Rubicons, one 2019 JLUR, one 1999 grand Cherokee limited, and one 1997 Dodge Ram from them and they did nothing!

I’m seriously thinking this might be it for me, I don’t want something that I’m always gonna be worried about. I have had several Grand Cherokees that I have lifted and done a lot of modes to run up to 37s on and may just go back that route, or find an old CJ or Bronco and just get away from all the computer crap altogether

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t tried the turn it off thing, I didn’t want to take the chance it wouldn’t start way out in the middle of no where, both time Baja it back closer to civilization tell it died than it is to low to even jump, hey at least this time it didn’t smell like it was burning to the ground, kind wish it would at this point though
so it's a damn shame that this is what I call a "solution" , but you have to turn it off once it dies / starts to die, otherwise you will absolutely fry the system. That's what I did up at Holy Cross out of frustration: just kept driving it and driving it hoping that it would cause so much damage that they would have to fix it. Uunfortunately the only thing that got permanently fried was the radio screen. The engine fixed itself once I was on the highway and I went nine months without a radio or screen.

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon

I'd be interested in a class-action suit here if Jeep is 'done' trying to solve their engineering issue.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Out wheeling today, reaffirmed my suspicion that the low voltage issue on our 2019 is 100% 4lo related. Hit a very technical section with large boulders, requiring 4lo and the rear locker. Because of past issues I had the voltmeter pulled up on the uconnect screen. Within 2 minutes of 4lo, voltage had dropped to 10.7v. Fortunately we were through the obstacle already. Back to 4hi, voltage immediately climbed back to 13.5v. Didn’t even need to shut it off this time. Luckily, this was 1 time too many for the wife, so the Superchips tuner and trail dash 3 combo are ordered. I will update this thread with results, but I’m hoping the tune eliminating the factory torque limiting in 4lo will kill this issue once and for all.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Out wheeling today, reaffirmed my suspicion that the low voltage issue on our 2019 is 100% 4lo related. Hit a very technical section with large boulders, requiring 4lo and the rear locker. Because of past issues I had the voltmeter pulled up on the uconnect screen. Within 2 minutes of 4lo, voltage had dropped to 10.7v. Fortunately we were through the obstacle already. Back to 4hi, voltage immediately climbed back to 13.5v. Didn’t even need to shut it off this time. Luckily, this was 1 time too many for the wife, so the Superchips tuner and trail dash 3 combo are ordered. I will update this thread with results, but I’m hoping the tune eliminating the factory torque limiting in 4lo will kill this issue once and for all.
Keep us posted with your results please. I'm already strongly considering the Superchips PCM swap, this would push me over the edge to do it sooner.

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so the Superchips tuner and trail dash 3 combo are ordered. I will update this thread with results, but I’m hoping the tune eliminating the factory torque limiting in 4lo will kill this issue once and for all.
Can you elaborate on this? Sounds like you are saying the JL has some sort of electronic torque limiting to prevent damage to the 4Lo transfer case and this causing an excessive electrical load on the electrical system, thus draining our batteries?

If you were to eliminate the torque limiter, would this then cause damage to our 4LO drivetrains?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Can you elaborate on this? Sounds like you are saying the JL has some sort of electronic torque limiting to prevent damage to the 4Lo transfer case and this causing an excessive electrical load on the electrical system, thus draining our batteries?

If you were to eliminate the torque limiter, would this then cause damage to our 4LO drivetrains?
The JL 2.0t with etorque has torque limiting from the factory in 4LO. After 2+ years of wheeling, the low voltage issue that is common to many of us with the 2.0t etorque has happened to us ~10 times. Every time it happens we were in 4LO, so I became militant about watching voltage when off road, especially if I need 4LO. Without fail, if we stop in drive for more than a few seconds, voltage begins to fall. Quick shift back to 4 high and the voltage goes right back up. I can’t say how or why, or if my theory holds true, but I think the same software that limits torque is somehow limiting charging. Yes, in theory I will be more likely to break an axle shaft without the torque limiting, but I’m not in 4lo because I want less torque. I’m hoping it works, but it’s all theory at this point. On the bright side, the extra torque at lower rpms from the tune will allow me to wheel more comfortably in 4HI even if my weird 4LO voltage drop remains.

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good, thanks for expanding on the situation. I'm excited to hear if your theory holds up with the Superchips tune.

I wonder if TazerJL mini will come out with a setting that could adjust this as well (as I already own that device.).

FWIW, I went and put my JL in 4 LO in an empty parking lot after reading your description and couldn't duplicate the voltage drop. I wonder if the system has to be under some load as opposed to me driving 4 MPH in a parking lot in 4 LO to see the voltage drop. As for when I actually experienced this battery issue, I'm pretty sure it was in 4LO on the top of Blanca peak when it happened to me.
Sponsored