Low operating voltage

bigt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL
Just picked up a new JL. While running through the checks with the salesman I noticed that the operating voltage while running with no accessories on was only 12.4 volts. I commented on the kow voltage and was told it was normal. I always thought operating voltage was more like 14. somethng. Am I wrong?
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just picked up a new JL. While running through the checks with the salesman I noticed that the operating voltage while running with no accessories on was only 12.4 volts. I commented on the kow voltage and was told it was normal. I always thought operating voltage was more like 14. somethng. Am I wrong?
The new Jeep is high tech. It only charges the batteries (yes there are two batteries) when needed. It tries to increase mpg by only charging as needed and tries to do this when coasting downhill or while braking.

Keep an eye on that volt menu and you can watch it in real time while driving. It should read around 14V while charging.

Do you have the V6 or turbo engine?

OP
OP

bigt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL
The new Jeep is high tech. It only charges the batteries (yes there are two batteries) when needed. It tries to increase mpg by only charging as needed and tries to do this when coasting downhill or while braking.

Keep an eye on that volt menu and you can watch it in real time while driving. It should read around 14V while charging.

Do you have the V6 or turbo engine?
a V6 and I do watch it while driving and what you said is correct it hangs around 12.4 or 5 and then jumps to 14.7 for a few minutes and jumps bavk to 12. My last jeep was a steady 14.5 all the time. Thanks for your knowledge.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
a V6 and I do watch it while driving and what you said is correct it hangs around 12.4 or 5 and then jumps to 14.7 for a few minutes and jumps bavk to 12. My last jeep was a steady 14.5 all the time. Thanks for your knowledge.
Well mine and several others have a steady 14+ all the time so hopefully you don’t get caught up in this

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
The lowest I've seen mine is 13.4. Most the time it's 14+ And I've even put the jeep on a battery charger for a day to make sure there up.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The lowest I've seen mine is 13.4. Most the time it's 14+ And I've even put the jeep on a battery charger for a day to make sure there up.
When it’s up in the 14+ range does your ESS system work or does it display battery charging in the ESS message screen which is choice #6 in the EVIC menu

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Will that I haven’t noticed. My stop start has been disabled. I was thinking it’s because I don’t drive my jeep much at all that’s why I put it on a battery tender
Sponsored

Last edited: