Sponsored

Low frequency 'rumble' feels like back window is down - normal?

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I know the sound you speak of. I heard it a couple times in the winter with snow on the Jeep. I haven’t heard it since though.
Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
Have the same exact issue, just add it to the other 96 pages of flaws, defects and poor quality we all have payed top dollar to experience.

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
I think I just figured this buffeting out, but want a couple people to give it a try first. I can re-create the buffeting by closing all the doors and windows and sitting in the backseat and pounding up on the inside of the hard top (inside my garage). I could hear a fluttering near the tailgate so I checked out the vents in tailgate. There are thin rubber flaps on the tailgate vents (behind the spare tire) that flutter when pounding from the inside. I had my wife pound the hardtop while I watched the rubber flaps move with each of her hits to the hard top. I pulled the rubber flaps off and the buffeting is gone. If someone else can give this a try to confirm that would be great. I believe the rubber flaps in the tailgate vent are there to keep dust out, but they must be sealing the air inside the Jeep cabin to well, causing the overpressure/buffeting only when all the doors and windows are closed.
I am about to revive the old thread but I got similar issue with my brand new Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. On the way back home from the dealership (my virgin trip) I noticed sort of rumbling around the windshield when I first hit 66 MPH. My first thought was the bug deflector but the bass sound is located close to me - I even have an impression I can feel the reverb on my steering wheel.

This bass rumbling - as if backdoor windows were down starts around different speed. Later is started around 75 MPH.

I need to investigate more but I doubt this bass rumbling might be caused by such a bug deflector

Jeep Wrangler JL Low frequency 'rumble' feels like back window is down - normal? bug_defl

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
A little update to my rumbling problem.
I removed the deflector and the rumbling is gone. This is a good part. The bad part is I have discovered there are two rubber bumpers missing and my guess is the lack of such makes the angle wrong. I need to figure something out. I like this deflector, as it is removable and I can keep the hood clean.

Jeep Wrangler JL Low frequency 'rumble' feels like back window is down - normal? bug_defl1

Jpspaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
After two and a half years of ownership my Jeep has developed this unbearable noise. It has caused me severe discomfort to the point I am wearing ear plugs while I drive. I am trying to diagnose this but no luck while I am waiting for a dealer appointment. I started another thread on it this week in a different category. Has anyone had a fix?

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
To fix, go buy one or two cheap moving blankets at Harbor Freight and wedge them between the rear portion of the roll cage and the hardtop. You’ll fix the issue and also have some useful moving blankets nicely stored out of the way.

The noise is caused by the plastic hardtop fluttering at speed, the moving blankets will prevent the fluttering.
Sponsored