Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
@jhackathorne - when you say spring rate lower/higher - what does that translate to ? is one of them more plusher than the other
Higher spring rate is generally stiffer and can handle a heavier load. Other factors include if they are single, double, triple rated. etc.

This link has some of the information for spring rates. Nothing here has the 1.5" @Clayton Off Road spring rates.
Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Decision/Plan after reading all feedback from forum peers.

Base Kit Choice - One of the below
Synergy 4Dr 1" starter system
+ Teraflex 0.5" load leveling pucks
1648056472130.png
Clayton Off-Road 1.5" Ride height kit
- no levelling pucks
1648056642127.png
Shocks:
Fox 2.0 IFP - 2-3" lift (177/178)
Shocks:
Fox 2.0 IFP - 2-3" lift (177/178)
Additional Items to complete the lift:
  • Synergy adjustable trackbars
  • Mopar LCA
  • Synergy front swaybar links
  • Teraflex bumpstops
Additional Items to complete the lift:
  • Mopar LCA
  • Teraflex bumpstops

Price wise they both kinda come to the same ballpark

@jhackathorne - when you say spring rate lower/higher - what does that translate to ? is one of them more plusher than the other
Just a heads up that is the 2 door Ride Right kit! You can always use that one as it only comes with extra control arms due to the shorter wheel base of the 2 door models, but the 4-door version is actually less expensive.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-15-ride-right-lift-kit-4dr-2018-jl

The higher spring rate is mainly used to eliminate body roll and the general floaty feeling of the factory setup. Overall the ride is very smooth and comfortable :like:

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up that is the 2 door Ride Right kit! You can always use that one as it only comes with extra control arms due to the shorter wheel base of the 2 door models, but the 4-door version is actually less expensive.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-15-ride-right-lift-kit-4dr-2018-jl

The higher spring rate is mainly used to eliminate body roll and the general floaty feeling of the factory setup. Overall the ride is very smooth and comfortable :like:
Nice, i think the 4 Door kit is great at that price point. I wasn't going to bother with rear control arms.

@Clayton Off Road - Do you have dealers in Vancouver, BC - Canada. I did not find any online stores that have your products (Partsengine, 4WP etc..). Do you ship directly to Canada to an installer location?

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice, i think the 4 Door kit is great at that price point. I wasn't going to bother with rear control arms.

@Clayton Off Road - Do you have dealers in Vancouver, BC - Canada. I did not find any online stores that have your products (Partsengine, 4WP etc..). Do you ship directly to Canada to an installer location?
We do ship directly to Canada! PM me your exact location and I can look into dealers in your area :like:

aros-can

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Punkn), 2003 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5, 1959 Land Rover Series 2a 109 SW

Chat to West Coast Off-Roaders

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got my frankenlift installed by West Coast Off-Roaders in Vancouver.

My setup:
Springs: @Clayton Off Road - 1.5" springs
Shocks: Fox 2.0 IFP 2-3" (177/178)
LCA: Mopar 2" lift LCAs
Swaybar End Links: Mopar 2" lift Swaybar links
Bumpstop: Teraflex 1.5" jounce bump stops
Trackbars: Metalcloak (was a last min decision to add trackbar and had to go with what was in stock)

Initial reaction
:
I got cold feet that I might not have enough lift, and added 0.5" teraflex load leveling pucks all around. In hindsight, I should have skipped this :( - may be the lift will settle a bit after 500ish km , lets see at that time. If it still has a huge gap in fender I might remove the pucks or expedite my move to 35x11.5x17s

Ride:
It's tricky to put a pin on what changed but here are my observations
- Steering is tighter, and I don't have that mild tracking to right side that i had on stock
- The squishy-ness and floaty feel in corners is gone!!! I don't feel like I will topple over with the RTT on
- It's a firm-er ride but not harsh, in fact when going over bumps it doesn't transfer that feeling to the steering at all - likely down to better shocks?

Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1654187132671
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1654187157787

Should I remove the 0.5" pucks or wait for it to settle? 🤔 It looks a bit odd on 33s - it's subjective and it's in the eyes of the beholder.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)

My setup:
Trackbars: Metalcloak (was a last min decision to add trackbar and had to go with what was in stock)

Initial reaction
:
I got cold feet that I might not have enough lift, and added 0.5" teraflex load leveling pucks all around. In hindsight, I should have skipped this :( - may be the lift will settle a bit after 500ish km , lets see at that time. If it still has a huge gap in fender I might remove the pucks or expedite my move to 35x11.5x17s

Ride:
- Steering is tighter, and I don't have that mild tracking to right side that i had on stock
- The squishy-ness and floaty feel in corners is gone!!! I don't feel like I will topple over with the RTT on
- It's a firm-er ride but not harsh, in fact when going over bumps it doesn't transfer that feeling to the steering at all - likely down to better shocks?

Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1654187157787

Should I remove the 0.5" pucks or wait for it to settle? 🤔 It looks a bit odd on 33s - it's subjective and it's in the eyes of the beholder.
I think it looks good. But just move to 35s, you know you want them.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

My setup:

Initial reaction
:

Ride:

Are you good on clearance for the 35s at full stuff with no bump extension?

May want to consider quick discos.

I wouldn’t go through the effort to remove the spacers unless you are going in for something else.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There is definitely a stock-rubicon like rake in this spring system. (Stock Sahara doesn't have much rake at all). In the coming weeks I am doing a bumper install and winch, so I am less worried about the front gap - expect that it will eat up that 0.5" spacer
Rear is the one that feels odd, esp the caster rotation that puts the wheel slightly towards the center of the vehicle.. May be a rear adjustable control arm will fix that. I might be overthinking this. I will load up the rear in an upcoming offroad trip and see how much it goes down and decide based on that.

If there is plenty gap with all the above changes.. I guess its time for 35s

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Are you good on clearance for the 35s at full stuff with no bump extension?

May want to consider quick discos.

I wouldn’t go through the effort to remove the spacers unless you are going in for something else.
I replaced the stock jounce bump stop (those yellow foam-like things) with a Teraflex 1.5" set. I didn't want to go the full 2" bump stop and I thought this should be good enough.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I replaced the stock jounce bump stop (those yellow foam-like things) with a Teraflex 1.5" set. I didn't want to go the full 2" bump stop and I thought this should be good enough.
The TF Jounce's don't add a specified amount of bump extension as far as I know, ballparking 2/3 compression, probably gaining about 1/2" of bump for an additional 1.5" of jounce.

You can adjust the bumps in 1" increments with hockey pucks, a drill bit, and some hardware. Should be able to fit between the coils so you can add them without screwing with the coils.
Sponsored