Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After extensive reading and gouging my eyes over every possible photo with a lift, I have narrowed down on the below lift setup for my 2020 4dr Sahara (3.6 ESS) for daily-driver, and occasional family roadtrip/overlanding usage. I currently run on stock suspension with 33s (285x70R17, 17x8 +30 Offset), and love the low CG stance of my jeep. I would like to keep the same stance/fender-gap when I move to 35x11.5R17s in future and that is the reason for my choices below.

Lift Kit: Dynatrac Endurosport 2” Lift Kit
Front LCA: Mopar front LCA 68322798AA (OR) Any adjustable front LCA to fix caster
Front Trackbar: Synergy/Teraflex or similar (maintenance-free) adjustable front trackbar
Rear Trackbar: Synergy/Teraflex or similar (maintenance-free) adjustable rear trackbar
Bump Stops: Teraflex Bump Stops

The concern I have is that the springs are single rate and I have read forum members warn about the rear suspension bottoming out real quick with just nominal load at the back and rear passengers. I have 2 school-age kids, and I load the rear plenty during camping trips (fridge, kitchen stuff, tailgator table). I mount the rooftop tent only 2 or 3 times a year and don’t want to make a decision based on those 3 trips as they are with the family and sacrifice on on-road and washboard trails comfort.

Given the above concern, I am wondering if I should still be ok on skinny 35s (35x11.5R17) in the following situations
  • Light Trails - with day camping level of load and 2 kids at the back seat
  • Moderate/Blue Trails (light-wheeling) - with day camping level of load and no passengers
  • Light Trails - with day camping level of load and 2 kids at the back seat + Rooftop tent
Other lift kits that I am willing to consider instead of Dynatrac
- @Clayton Off Road 1.5 Ride-height lift (New system and seems like it won't clear 35s on Sahara per their website. Not sure if it will clear with right shocks)
- @Skyjacker Suspensions 1-1.5 lift (Not sure about the shocks softness on this, and they don't say on website if this clears 35s on Sahara)

I am looking for some advice on my thought process here. I have no interest in maximum articulation so I do not want any 2.5+ lift kit, esp ones that give more lift than advertised (on a Sahara).

Current stance - Fully loaded camping gear for multi-day trip. (Without passengers)
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1647762803283

Fully loaded camping gear + All Passengers except me
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1647762872593
Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
In case it helps, this is how it looks fully loaded at the back. Imagine that the cargo tray holds the camping chairs (x3) too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1647763275399

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Dual rate springs don’t necessarily impact bump, the second rate is there to allow the suspension to retain the spring during droop. The soft rate is spring bound already at ride height,

Lift height does not determine articulation, bump stop and shock extended length do.

The dynatrac 2” is based on a rubicon height. And (at least in TRs lift kit comparison) nets 2.5” front and 2.2” rear on a rubicon.

If you do aftermarket LCAs, you’ll need to make sure they can clear a near stock backspace.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just for reference, here's the only pic I have of the Dynatrac Endurosport and 35's on factory wheels and no spacers, before I chopped the fenders. As gator mentioned all lifts are based off of Rubicons, so minus the added space of the highline front fenders, this is roundabout what your Sahara will look like...
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 20191222_153839

You have 2 choices. Either a setup that is stiff when not loaded but doesn't sag under load, or add air helper bags to the rear coils that can be fine tuned to resist the weight when needed but removed when not.

I also add all 8 control arms and rear track bar from Synergy to the Dynatrac lift. SteerSmarts was used for the steering linkages and front track bar. With 315/70-17 ko2's on factory offset wheels, the tires lightly rubbed the lower control arms at full lock. Worth noting here, is the Rubicon axles are 1.5" wider, so each wheel is .75" further from the frame. Your current wheels with 11.5" wide tires would probably just clear or just lightly touch. The steering stops could be lengthened a smidge to help that without causing a noticeable loss of turning radius.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Fenders, either a chop or swap, probably will be the best way to check some of your LCG boxes. Not sure if there are chop kits for the non-Rubi fenders.

With the added fender clearance, you should be able to reduce your bump stop, and maximize your uptravel regardless of ride height.

As @Headbarcode mentions, it will be important to get some confirmation on clearance specifically with non-Rubi axles and either matching your backspace or with stock wheels and no wheel spacers.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Fenders, either a chop or swap, probably will be the best way to check some of your LCG boxes. Not sure if there are chop kits for the non-Rubi fenders.

With the added fender clearance, you should be able to reduce your bump stop, and maximize your uptravel regardless of ride height.

As @Headbarcode mentions, it will be important to get some confirmation on clearance specifically with non-Rubi axles and either matching your backspace or with stock wheels and no wheel spacers.
The Sahara fenders are of the same 2-piece construction as the Rubicons, so they are easy to chop. AAL has a fender brace with drl/turn leds that is specifically designed for the Sport/Sahara height front fenders. That chop will gain the same 3-3.5" of front tire clearance that I saw with mine.

Here's the same lift and tire setup above, but with chopped fronts...
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 20191222_153839
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 20200423_092730

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the suggestions.. Much appreciate it. I think some of the assumptions are based on regular 35s and stock rims. I'm currently on a +30 offset wheel which is not much but helps gain some of that .75" per tire to put the stance at par with Rubicon axles. Also the only 35s im interested in are the skinny 35x11.5s or 35x10.5s which are at best 295 width spec.

so that being said, rub is not expected at lock on mopar longer LCA. But i do hear you guys that after-market adjustable LCA might be an issue - requiring me to get some steering bump stops.

There are 2 jeeps in the forums that have heavily inspired how I want mine to be.

@Headbarcode - Thank you for the pics, much appreciate it. How would you compare the spring sag on the rear to the stock springs? Are they the same or you though the stock springs did actually better when loading up the rear?
Did you consider adding spacer pucks to the rear - which might give a rake when not loaded but might have helped even out when the rear is loaded?

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for the suggestions.. Much appreciate it. I think some of the assumptions are based on regular 35s and stock rims. I'm currently on a +30 offset wheel which is not much but helps gain some of that .75" per tire to put the stance at par with Rubicon axles. Also the only 35s im interested in are the skinny 35x11.5s or 35x10.5s which are at best 295 width spec.

so that being said, rub is not expected at lock on mopar longer LCA. But i do hear you guys that after-market adjustable LCA might be an issue - requiring me to get some steering bump stops.

There are 2 jeeps in the forums that have heavily inspired how I want mine to be.

@Headbarcode - Thank you for the pics, much appreciate it. How would you compare the spring sag on the rear to the stock springs? Are they the same or you though the stock springs did actually better when loading up the rear?
Did you consider adding spacer pucks to the rear - which might give a rake when not loaded but might have helped even out when the rear is loaded?
I think the stock rear spring rates are low to mid 170 lb/in (the two sides are slightly different). If you get a heavier spring rate it should sag less for the same added weight, softer would sag more.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You could definitely fit 35's with the 1.5" Ride Right kit depending on what you plan on using the vehicle for. If you don't plan on getting into much off-roading, the 1.5" kit will be fine and you won't experience any issues with rubbing on 35's. If you do plan on taking it off-road occasionally, I would suggest the Ride Right 2.5" kit! Always happy to help if you have any additional questions. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You could definitely fit 35's with the 1.5" Ride Right kit depending on what you plan on using the vehicle for. If you don't plan on getting into much off-roading, the 1.5" kit will be fine and you won't experience any issues with rubbing on 35's. If you do plan on taking it off-road occasionally, I would suggest the Ride Right 2.5" kit! Always happy to help if you have any additional questions. :)
Thanks for reply folks. My off roading is basically Forest service roads, back country trails and the only time i deal with rocks is when there is a section of the trail i can't avoid or take alternate line. My primary goal is to get my family to the remote camping spot and back safely.. and i have no intention on doing any badge of honor trails.

If the 1.5 lift + Fox Shocks (ride height or the Overland+) does that well on a Sahara with skinny/11.5 35s without sagging or bottoming out on the rear (with camping gear, roof top tent and kids/ passengers).. then it might be good for me.

Do you expect the rear to sag with that load? Do you advice adding a 0.5 riser puck on the rear spring in that case?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I would stick with a couple of the recommendations you have received. Fender mod (either remove inner 2 piece liner or change fenders) or a small lift. Clayton is a good choice. I would stay away from the Dynatrac for your intended purposes. Multiple threads of users who have changed form that lift to something that will not droop under load. IF you did do Dynatrac I would add in airbags in the rear to keep ride height leveled. Stay away from the SkyJacker... pay for cheap and get cheap.

I would also recommend the Synergy 2" lift w/ Fox Shocks. I am running that as I did not want 2.5"+ and wanted something to handle the weight of camping gear. It will sag a tiny bit in back (springs are rated slightly higher than stock Rubicon springs w/steel bumpers and hard top), but I am only one who notices it. That is adding probably 200 lbs in the back. Move it to the center of the Jeep and it is not at all noticeable. I still get plenty of flex and ride is better than stock.

IMG_9081 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@jhackathorne

I really appreciate you sharing this pic, this looks like how the future profile of my rig should be. I have a similar roof rack (you have exposed rack if I'm not wrong, i have deezee no-drill rack) and my tent is 150lb - kinda same as the 23Zero 62s you have on.

After all the feedback on this thread and other ones, I have decided to steer away from the Dynatrac lift. Interestingly I came to the same conclusion that if I must have that kit, then there is no way I can pull off the camping weight without Airbags OR resort to changing just the rear springs and dealing with a mismatched spring set. At that point I couldn't justify the price I paid for the dynatrac lift.

Since I have a Sahara, the Clayton and Synergy springs will get me 1" more than Rubicon and hence the best setup for me will be either the Clayton 1.5" springs OR the Synergy 1" spring with 0.5 teraflex pucks on the front and rear. I plan to pair these springs with the FOX IFP shocks that are intended for 2-3" lift (177/178). In addition to the spring and shock, I am adding the Mopar front LCA, Synergy front and rear sway bar links and Synergy adjustable front and rear trackbars to take care of getting to stock like caster angle and centered axles.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
That sounds like a good plan. I believe the @Clayton Off Road spring rates are little higher than the Synergy ones. But the Synergy with the TF pucks should give the same height I'd guess. I'd consider just doing a rear track bar reel bracket instead of the new track bar from Synergy. From what I have read/seen/heard a new track bar is really not needed on a smaller lift like what you plan to run. Someone else can chime in on their thoughts on that.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Decision/Plan after reading all feedback from forum peers.

Base Kit Choice - One of the below
Synergy 4Dr 1" starter system
+ Teraflex 0.5" load leveling pucks
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1648056472130
Clayton Off-Road 1.5" Ride height kit
- no levelling pucks
Jeep Wrangler JL Low CG Overlanding Rig (JLU Sahara) - Lift Setup Concerns/Advice-needed 1648056642127
Shocks:
Fox 2.0 IFP - 2-3" lift (177/178)
Shocks:
Fox 2.0 IFP - 2-3" lift (177/178)
Additional Items to complete the lift:
  • Synergy adjustable trackbars
  • Mopar LCA
  • Synergy front swaybar links
  • Teraflex bumpstops
Additional Items to complete the lift:
  • Mopar LCA
  • Teraflex bumpstops

Price wise they both kinda come to the same ballpark

@jhackathorne - when you say spring rate lower/higher - what does that translate to ? is one of them more plusher than the other
Sponsored

Last edited: