Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

Amrkrocks0685

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I do have them adjusted as far out as they will go. On the passenger side I actually had to use a die grinder to very slightly enlarge the holes outward on the rear 2 brackets to gain another 1/4”. Not a big deal, just a little fine tuning to fit with enough clearance. I assume you wouldn’t use them as a lifting point because they won’t support the full weight of the Jeep. I have been in a group on the trail where we used a high lift jack on factory rock sliders to change a front tire. I was just hoping for the same strength out of these if I ever needed it.. I am very happy with there build quality and especially like the way they look. Just a bit concerned if I drop off a rock or a ledge in the front behind the tire. I maybe disappointed. Thanks
Is the front bracket moving? Is it possible to show a video of the rails off the bracket and moving it up and down? It could be that the bracket isn't torqued correctly or the rails might also be loose. My guess would be the brackets. Maybe the first 2? I would also check the first flag nut and see if that is also loose.
Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
i couldn'f figure out where the four nuts thingymabobber goes. My other half helped me out [i am mechanically challenged lol]. rest was easy.

initially, i mis aligned the steps and gave two much gap between the body and the steps. had to loosen up the whole thing in driver side, adjust it to 3/8 of inch gap. looks great now.

IMG-0972.jpg

IMG-0971.jpg
Where did you get the front grill insert?

Rkligora

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is the front bracket moving? Is it possible to show a video of the rails off the bracket and moving it up and down? It could be that the bracket isn't torqued correctly or the rails might also be loose. My guess would be the brackets. Maybe the first 2? I would also check the first flag nut and see if that is also loose.
Yes I have torqued the bolts and then over torqued them per Anthony’s instruction. Yes the front bracket is moving. It is flexing on the frame where it is mounted because the bracket surface is only 2” tall and is mounted to the middle section of approximately an 8” tall frame rail area. The flexing is worse on the drivers side because the passenger side has more structure in the outside of the frame because of the transmission crossmember bolting through. The steps are very sturdy while standing or jumping on them. No complaints there. I believe I’m going to remove and weld on additional surface area to these front brackets. Probably wrap around and tie into an existing hole in the bottom of the frame. That should accomplish what I need. Project for after the holidays, I guess

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst

Sponsored

Flash

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Is rail flex upward toward the front a common issue?

I’m about to purchase a set of rails but this might be a deal breaker. My concern is potential flex causing body damage with minimal contact.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

I’m about to purchase a set of rails but this might be a deal breaker. My concern is potential flex causing body damage with minimal contact.
This is me banging the ROAM frame mounted rail as I go up a rock pile. Only damage is scrapes on the rail. My spotter said damm I got get me a set of those rails. They have some flex, but if you make sure the gap is correct, it would be hard to damage the body. I’ve also prevented damage by sliding them along trees.

4EE5779D-1642-4033-B57F-66790107CB89.jpeg

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
KBB Analyst

Setting the body to rail gap correctly is the key.

I have them and haven't noticed any "deal-breaking" issues

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
This is me banging the ROAM frame mounted rail as I go up a rock pile. Only damage is scrapes on the rail. My spotter said damm I got get me a set of those rails. They have some flex, but if you make sure the gap is correct, it would be hard to damage the body. I’ve also prevented damage by sliding them along trees.

4EE5779D-1642-4033-B57F-66790107CB89.jpeg
:rock::rock::rock: Very impressive!!

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL rubicon unlimited
My search skills must not be good; but, I've cross referenced "measurement" , "width", "wide", can someone point me to the actual dimensions of these sliders/steps in regards to HOW WIDE the actual step portion is? I searched about 40 pages worth and I only saw someone measure the distance from the step to the inside of the jeep.
THank you in adavance!
@ROAM

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My search skills must not be good; but, I've cross referenced "measurement" , "width", "wide", can someone point me to the actual dimensions of these sliders/steps in regards to HOW WIDE the actual step portion is? I searched about 40 pages worth and I only saw someone measure the distance from the step to the inside of the jeep.
THank you in adavance!
@ROAM
8BCB7E02-3E52-4BBA-A732-1D41EEA299AD.jpeg

Rkligora

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just adding an update on my previous issues with the upward flexing at the front brackets of these side steps. I used 2- 4” pieces of Arctic cat snowmobile hyfax. These are very strong pieces of nylon that seem to fit perfectly on the body pinchweld above the front brackets. I glued them to the pinchweld with a little windshield urethane. Now I can use a floor jack and raise the Jeep so it supports the full weight without making contact anywhere. Very sturdy for rock bashing now and just in time for my cancelled EJS trip.

EABEAB81-F79C-4000-9D24-0850103E0933.jpeg

3BE10ECC-CC16-47DC-9DBB-321681D32B79.jpeg

AFfiredawg

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Fire Fighter
Just adding an update on my previous issues with the upward flexing at the front brackets of these side steps. I used 2- 4” pieces of Arctic cat snowmobile hyfax. These are very strong pieces of nylon that seem to fit perfectly on the body pinchweld above the front brackets. I glued them to the pinchweld with a little windshield urethane. Now I can use a floor jack and raise the Jeep so it supports the full weight without making contact anywhere. Very sturdy for rock bashing now and just in time for my cancelled EJS trip.

EABEAB81-F79C-4000-9D24-0850103E0933.jpeg

3BE10ECC-CC16-47DC-9DBB-321681D32B79.jpeg
You have a link to the part? I wonder if a 3D printed item would be just as good.....