Sponsored

Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

Rubi Bing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 OB Rubicon
To the ppl that are just using long bolts that go thru the frame. Probably won't make a different but you are going thru a hollow frame and puting clamping forces on both sides of the frame, you probably will be collapsing the frame a bit when you tighten them down. In most cases that you do this it should really have a sleeve that keeps it from doing this.

I tried to use the bolt and nut provided for the rivnut but it didn't workout well for me, probably just user error. I found the the bolt and slightly too big nut with the washers trick worked better.
The only one you can possibly get at is the rivnut hole closest to the larger access hole. You can get a bolt from the inside of the frame and reach it with a box end. You cannot reach any of the others that way and you are not going through both sides of the frame
Sponsored

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I used basically the same method as in the video, except instead of a fancy homemade tool, I used the box end of an old wrench that was slightly larger than the threaded part of the bolt.

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
So i finally I got my Roam steps in, Not only did they mount up perfectly , it took me about an hour. They have some magical flag nuts with the MK2 steps. No lie, roam thought of it all. My steps mounted perfectly!!!! Super straight gap. I couldnt be happier. Finish is top notch.
Only tough thing was moving them around by myself in the box!!! lmao They are heavy duty!
Q6bB2NE.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders {filename}

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So i finally I got my Roam steps in, Not only did they mount up perfectly , it took me about an hour. They have some magical flag nuts with the MK2 steps. No lie, roam thought of it all. My steps mounted perfectly!!!! Super straight gap. I couldnt be happier. Finish is top notch.
Only tough thing was moving them around by myself in the box!!! lmao They are heavy duty!

That’s such BS. I spent days putting in those dang rivnuts and now they make a bracket. Oh well look great!

Sponsored

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got steps installed. Would show a pic but it was dark out and I didn’t wire it up yet. Once I got rivnut tool it took like 2 minutes to do.

Only thing is I have 2 pieces of flat metal and 4 nuts. No where does it mention where to use these. Anyone have an idea what they are for?

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Finally got steps installed. Would show a pic but it was dark out and I didn’t wire it up yet. Once I got rivnut tool it took like 2 minutes to do.

Only thing is I have 2 pieces of flat metal and 4 nuts. No where does it mention where to use these. Anyone have an idea what they are for?
The 2 rectangular metal plates can be fastened behind the ROAM branding cutout using the 4 provided nuts, if so desired.

You can install them as they are or paint them with a color of your choosing.

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
That’s such BS. I spent days putting in those dang rivnuts and now they make a bracket. Oh well look great!
Honestly not sure how it took you "days" to install some riv nuts. Usually Nut-Serts take a few minutes tops to install. Use a bolt and some washers. Or cough up a couple bucks for a riv gun. Either way its painless. I've had countless jeeps and installed tons of Nut-serts and never ever have i used a special tool. Maybe its just me. I don't think so though.
Glad you got them installed! They rock

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly not sure how it took you "days" to install some riv nuts. Usually Nut-Serts take a few minutes tops to install. Use a bolt and some washers. Or cough up a couple bucks for a riv gun. Either way its painless. I've had countless jeeps and installed tons of Nut-serts and never ever have i used a special tool. Maybe its just me. I don't think so though.
Glad you got them installed! They rock
I didn’t literally take days. I just quit trying after 2 days. The inserts would install with bolt and washer because of the small/gap between the rivnut and hole. I did end up buying a riv gun. I am mechanically inclined and I even tried making my own special tools to put them in. No dice.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Started working on electrical and noticed the solid state relay didn’t have a mounting tab so I decided to have a little fun with the mill. Machined a mounting/heat dissipating pad. Now onto finishing this thing.

Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The rivnuts are easy to install. Just use the nut and bolt provided from Roam. The trick is to make sure the smooth side of the nut is facing the rivnut, then Opposite from all the YouTube videos, HOLD The bolt and turn the nut in. It does take some muscle, but it can be done with 2 wrenches. Good luck. Just installed mine today and they are awesome. I was a little disappointed that the finish is not textured, but they still look great. I think once they get beat up a bit I will spray them with a textured spray. I decided not to install the leds. Ordered 8 3/8” plugs.

Last edited:

00slap

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 billet silver Rubicon
Hey guys,

Im about to order 2 sets for me and my brothers rubi.

the only thing holding us back is the 'roam' cut part that you can see through your body paint.

How can i make it so it looks like this?

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
@00slap It comes with a black metal cut out that screws behind it to black it out. Or, you can leave it off so it shows body paint.

Claptovaughn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door 6-Speed
Got my Roam frame mounted sliders last week, but haven't had a chance to take pics until today.

The installation was straightforward; the 2-door versions don't have rivnuts like the 4-doors do.

The driver's side rear mounting arm seemed angled a bit high, causing the rear of the step to be too close to the body. I put some washers inbetween the mounting bracket and the frame to give it a bit more space. It's not perfect like the passenger's side, but it works.

Haven't taken any impacts to them yet. I decided not to install the included lights, because I prefer a no frills look.