Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

Jeffkam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I love these rock rails and they look great. I did have to do a little work to loosen brackets from the frame, get the rail fully seated and attached to the brackets then retighten the brackets to the frame. I’ll look to wire the lights in the future. One challenge for me which I assume is “me” is the rivnuts. For the life of me, I could not get them to compress. I managed to get two installed on the passenger side and ended up buying new stainless steel bolts to run straight through the frame on the drivers side. I even bought an impact wrench which helped me get the two installed that I did. Again...I expect the issue to be me as evidenced by the fact that I did not own an impact wrench (or two 18mm open end wrenches).

46E6069E-44BF-40AB-BD5E-0C3563C54E37.jpeg
Sponsored

SeanS

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my 2 door Rock Rails package from UPS today. Somewhere in transit over the last 5 days they completely pooched the box. The 2 foot part at the bottom is completely detached and was slipping off. It's where the brackets and other small packages were packed. Luckily no damage to what I received. I don't blame Roam for this.

This box held the 2 door Rock Rails. I have the rails....is there anything you see that's missing from my parts pic? That's everything that was in my box. Thanks.
20190328_093326.jpg
20190328_172922.jpg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my 2 door Rock Rails package from UPS today. Somewhere in transit over the last 5 days they completely pooched the box. The 2 foot part at the bottom is completely detached and was slipping off. It's where the brackets and other small packages were packed. Luckily no damage to what I received. I don't blame Roam for this.

This box held the 2 door Rock Rails. I have the rails....is there anything you see that's missing from my parts pic? That's everything that was in my box. Thanks.
20190328_093326.jpg
20190328_172922.jpg
Looks like you have everything. Are there 4 nut plate/brackets in that lower left shrink wrapping?

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you have everything. Are there 4 nut plate/brackets in that lower left shrink wrapping?
Thanks for the reassurance. I need that bad. I will crack that package open tomorrow and see what's in it.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reassurance. I need that bad. I will crack that package open tomorrow and see what's in it.
Here are the parts laid out. We just put a set on our 2dr today
123_1(2).jpeg

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I love these rock rails and they look great. I did have to do a little work to loosen brackets from the frame, get the rail fully seated and attached to the brackets then retighten the brackets to the frame. I’ll look to wire the lights in the future. One challenge for me which I assume is “me” is the rivnuts. For the life of me, I could not get them to compress. I managed to get two installed on the passenger side and ended up buying new stainless steel bolts to run straight through the frame on the drivers side. I even bought an impact wrench which helped me get the two installed that I did. Again...I expect the issue to be me as evidenced by the fact that I did not own an impact wrench (or two 18mm open end wrenches).

46E6069E-44BF-40AB-BD5E-0C3563C54E37.jpeg
Too late for you....

But I had the same problem. I get why the rivnuts are required for the passenger side (gas tank is in the way). However, The drivers’ should just come with 4.5” bolt/nuts.

I could not get the rivnut to stop spinning with the included bolt/nut, leading to a drive to Harbor Freight. They didn’t stock a big enough driver. When I got home, I looked on Amazon for the right tool. But, they looked massive and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to set the rivnuts on the top.

So, I watched a couple of YouTube videos and found one with a British guy using a custom made tool to keep the rivnut from spinning. It was just a flat piece of metal with a hole in one end that went between the washer and rivnut. It was long enough to wedge against the frame.

I had a bent putty knife laying around. I drilled a hole in it and used it was my “custom tool”. It worked great. Though, it still required a metric F@&$-Ton of force to turn the nut. I couldn’t use a standard box wrench. I have to add a 1’ bar to the end of it to get enough force to set the rivnut.

Anyways, cheap, simple and worked. Hope this saves someone a few hours and a $100 worth of one-time-use tools.

830F455E-C4A6-4984-AC03-E2798DFEABF3.jpeg

079807DA-0713-41DF-91AB-0B8E1DA55F12.jpeg

F0C5DFE6-5A8C-469C-A520-EB0835366936.jpeg

7B23C321-BC17-42C4-A1EF-8E3EC2B9BD6B.jpeg

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the parts laid out. We just put a set on our 2dr today
123_1(2).jpeg
I have the 4 nut plate/brackets. I haven't counted the nuts and bolts as that package was not torn open. Hopefully they are all there.
Looks like I have everything. Phew!! What a relief. Thank you very much for posting this parts layout pic. It helps a lot too.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t stand rive nuts! 2 fails. The rivnut is smaller than hole by like an 1/8 causing it to expand into the whole and not behind it. I gave up for today.

Sponsored

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I’d just go to Ace and pick up m12x120mm bolts for the driver side and use the left over rivnuts on the passenger side. Save yourself the trouble.

Souki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Mojito! JLU
Hi,
I am thinkting to buy the ROAM sidesteps as my Rubicon always gets so dirty with the stock rock rails. How ist your experience with the ROAM sidsteps preventing the side of your JL from getting dirty? The Sahara sidestepts do this job quite well, but don't look so good....

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think I am going to use 1/2-13 rivnuts. They fit the hole with better and make expanding the rivnut easier. Then I just have to get some grade 8 bolts.

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
To the ppl that are just using long bolts that go thru the frame. Probably won't make a different but you are going thru a hollow frame and puting clamping forces on both sides of the frame, you probably will be collapsing the frame a bit when you tighten them down. In most cases that you do this it should really have a sleeve that keeps it from doing this.

I tried to use the bolt and nut provided for the rivnut but it didn't workout well for me, probably just user error. I found the the bolt and slightly too big nut with the washers trick worked better.
Sponsored