Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Sad to see some things haven’t changed with roam. Im still searching for my favorite solution to steps and rock rails with a step but I know what brand it isnt. They could do simple things like weld the seams and take away a potential rust area but I guess they don’t care about listening to customer concerns or inputs or the folks building them dont speak good English or Spanish

brett
Sponsored

Monarch490

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JLUS
I bought some mk3 a couple weeks ago, they came nicely packaged and only one of the brackets had rubbing mark with bare metal. I installed all the brackets and left the lose to help with adjustment one i installed the step. The passenger side step went on pretty easy, but I have a concern because the the rear of the step there is only an 1/8” gap between the step and the body. I tried to widen the gap but the steps don’t have much adjustment in that direction. I noticed that the steps are curved at the rear which is weird because the Jeep seems pretty straight. I, thinking of cutting the step in order to get a bigger gap so the step doesnt flex into The body.
the driver side is a whole other story. I did the same thing I did with the passenger side. The brackets were all level unlike the passenger side were the two brackets that bolt up next To the body Bolts were pointing up and and were pushing the step up agains the rear fender. I was able to fix that, loosening those brackets and tightening up the center bracket which was lower and then tightening up the brackets that bolt up next to the body bolt. That actual brought the step down and. Was able to level it.
back to the drivers side, once I leveled the step (front to back) but the step had a gap of about 3/4” to 1” from the body. I adjustedit as far n as I could but it still had a huge gap. This was in the front, the rear seemed ok. So I decided to make the holes in the bracket bigger. I widened the hole and the step got a little closer. So i tool of the step and tried again, but this time my drill Bit got Stuck in the hole and i wasn’t able to hold the drill as it came out of my hands and dented my rocker panel.
That was kinda my fault because I should have been drilling from the bottom up, but I didn’t have any safety glasses.
I emailed Roam and explained- what happened but he only said they had never had that issue, he didn’t addr anything about the steps being curved or wether or not The rear gap would be a problem.
I emailed him again about The gap and all he said was too loosen the bolts and push the step in. wow Why didn’t I think of that,(sarcasm). You would think that 700 dollar steps would fit properly.

14E9EAB9-4578-4AA2-A84F-E28B05E58DC4.jpeg

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I didn’t read the whole thread but I’m assuming roam off-road products are a no go? I’m in the market for some frame mounted sliders. I like the Rustys but they don’t look frame mounted. I like the CavFab but after the nuisance of their rear tire carrier, the whole wrong bolt issue I had, and my friends feedback on their steering stuff after I recommended them...I can’t see myself spending any more money with them. So open to suggestions.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I have had a pretty good experience with my roam steps also. I have the frame mounted and no rust after 6 months. I put a lot of under coat on the bottom side prior to mounting and Liquid Film on the top after mounting. I also placed some spacers made from the snow mobile material, linked in another post, between the body and rail brackets. They are secure enough now to use as a jack points. If I had to do it again I might go with a different style but that’s only for looks and having a lower step. So far these have had no issues with Roam quality.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t read the whole thread but I’m assuming roam off-road products are a no go? I’m in the market for some frame mounted sliders. I like the Rustys but they don’t look frame mounted. I like the CavFab but after the nuisance of their rear tire carrier, the whole wrong bolt issue I had, and my friends feedback on their steering stuff after I recommended them...I can’t see myself spending any more money with them. So open to suggestions.
we ran both styles of roam. We don’t offer them anymore.

we now have the metalcloak overline rails. They aren’t frame mounted but are incredibly strong. We pivoted off a boulder on the rubicon and powered around putting a tremendous amount of stress on them without issues. Frame mount is a gimmick. I’m not saying the ones that attach on the pinch seam with 6 bolts are good but just because they aren’t frame mounted doesn’t make them bad or weak

brett

Sponsored

Stain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Despite the controversy and varying opinions, I decided to order a pair of MK3s. Anthony @ROAM was very responsive to email and shipped the rails out quickly. I had them coated with Line-X locally (cost about $250) and finally installed them yesterday.

Installation was pretty straight forward following the instructions here: Installation Instructions

These things are solid and seem to be well made. I'll be honest, the reports of rust had me nervous, so hedged my bets with Line-X.

So far, I'm very happy.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders 20201205_091645
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders 20201205_143022

noregrets605

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Dodge Viper GTS, Honda Pilot
Digging up this old thread... opinions are all over the place it seems, but before I drop some coin on the mk3 frame mounted rails, I wanted to get more data points around rust resistance. Any help would be appreciated.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I wanted to get more data points around rust resistance. Any help would be appreciated.
I ordered and installed mine Nov 2020 and 2 months later (this pic is from Jan 2021), the bolts and bolt holes had a good amount of rust. During those 2 months, it sat in my garage and had 800 miles put on it. Never saw snow, salt, and was washed once.

I ended up ordering stainless steel bolts from Bolt Depot, with the black oxide finish to replace these with, after I'm able to clean up the rust. The liner-coated ones look great, are a solid step, but I don't bash rocks, so I can't comment there. Once I replace the bolts I'm hoping the rails themselves don't continue to rust. If they do, I'm just tossing them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders IMG_2726

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Digging up this old thread... opinions are all over the place it seems, but before I drop some coin on the mk3 frame mounted rails, I wanted to get more data points around rust resistance. Any help would be appreciated.
I have one of the first MK3 frame mounted sets. No rust, even after a New England winter. Unfortunately car was totaled, and am now hoping they'll fit on the 4xe I have on order.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I had mine on for a 1.5 years. Though it is stored in winter, so no salt. But no rust. Body mount bed lined. I did knock some bed liner off the bottom on a rock in Moab. Not blaming Roam at all for that.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
we ran both styles of roam. We don’t offer them anymore.

we now have the metalcloak overline rails. They aren’t frame mounted but are incredibly strong. We pivoted off a boulder on the rubicon and powered around putting a tremendous amount of stress on them without issues. Frame mount is a gimmick. I’m not saying the ones that attach on the pinch seam with 6 bolts are good but just because they aren’t frame mounted doesn’t make them bad or weak

brett
have you guys had success with the meta cloak overland flip step?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
have you guys had success with the meta cloak overland flip step?
I haven't installed that one because it makes a good step but not great slider. We have found a local company that we’re going to go visit with and build a relationship with. After a phone conversation with them, Im very interested in carrying their product.

brett

www.shrockworks.com

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I haven't installed that one because it makes a good step but not great slider. We have found a local company that we’re going to go visit with and build a relationship with. After a phone conversation with them, Im very interested in carrying their product.

brett

www.shrockworks.com
Shrockworks makes some great stuff. I ran all their armor on my Toyotas

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
These things are awesome.

I couldn't do side steps that hang low as I actually offroad my JL.

They are built solid with nice styling. Once I get my roof rack, these will definitely help with that too. As you can literally stand on them with both foot and get easy roof access.

The logo also has a backside insert that you can paint whatever color you want. The first picture doesn't have this insert on, the second picture shows it with red. And the accent lighting is a nice extra touch.

@ROAM

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg
I would agree if the back end was 4" longer. I don't get why they stopped short of full protection?
Sponsored