First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've read through most of this thread and have seen a few examples of people using these as actual rock sliders but can anyone comment on their durability when used for serious rock crawling?

I plan on running the Rubicon and Fordyce in the coming months and want to make sure whichever sliders I buy are up to the task.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I've read through most of this thread and have seen a few examples of people using these as actual rock sliders but can anyone comment on their durability when used for serious rock crawling?

I plan on running the Rubicon and Fordyce in the coming months and want to make sure whichever sliders I buy are up to the task.
I have used them on the rocks many times. They definitely protect the body. I got the frame mounted version. Even have a slight dent in on the passenger side.

That being said, I got the truck bed finish on them, and the finish is not holding up at all. In fact I just took pictures yesterday I want to send to Roam. My rails are not even a year old yet.

I have used touch up truck bed liner several times, you can't really see in the pictures but the liner is not adhered to the metal, its more like a sleeve of liner, and at the hard edges, the liner has split multiple times.

Not to mention the ROAM Vanity plate screws have completely rusted out. This was not a good purchase, sadly this will not be the final long term solution for me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders D1
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders P1
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders P2

broncoguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ford Bronco, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
track.n.trail I've been looking for the same info. I too am looking at these for protection for some upcoming wheeling trips. I was also considering LOD Destroyers but they look like they mounting flange will interfere with my EVO skid plates.

Anyone take these through the Rubicon?

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I have used them on the rocks many times. They definitely protect the body. I got the frame mounted version. Even have a slight dent in on the passenger side.

That being said, I got the truck bed finish on them, and the finish is not holding up at all. In fact I just took pictures yesterday I want to send to Roam. My rails are not even a year old yet.

I have used touch up truck bed liner several times, you can't really see in the pictures but the liner is not adhered to the metal, its more like a sleeve of liner, and at the hard edges, the liner has split multiple times.

Not to mention the ROAM Vanity plate screws have completely rusted out. This was not a good purchase, sadly this will not be the final long term solution for me.
Wow, that’s a bit disappointing considering the frame mounted is supposed to have the e-coat on it too, right?

Sponsored

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wow, that’s a bit disappointing considering the frame mounted is supposed to have the e-coat on it too, right?
I don't think his bed lined sliders have the same coating that the latest versions have with the 2 stage e-coat powdercoat.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I don't think his bed lined sliders have the same coating that the latest versions have with the 2 stage e-coat powdercoat.
I think you are right. But he called the bed lined version an upgrade as I was waiting on the rails to be shipped, he offered to upgrade to bed lined at no cost. Not much of an upgrade 1 year later.

The bed liner can catch on rocks, so some damage I guess could happen, but I have seen bed lined truck beds that still look new 10 years later.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I think you are right. But he called the bed lined version an upgrade as I was waiting on the rails to be shipped, he offered to upgrade to bed lined at no cost. Not much of an upgrade 1 year later.

The bed liner can catch on rocks, so some damage I guess could happen, but I have seen bed lined truck beds that still look new 10 years later.
Got it, I thought the frame mounted only came with the e-coat. It was the body mounted that offered bed liner vs. powder coat but without the e-coat?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I just moved to Colorado from Houston. First winter coming up. I’ll let you know what happens come spring.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
There’s been reports of the e-coat versions rusting, too.
Damn - I actually like the look of these. Maybe I’ll just resign myself to the body mounted ones to save some money (I’m not doing any serious crawling) and just hope I don’t encounter rusting (I live in NC so not a lot of snow/salt here).

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just placed my order, will post some pictures here once they come in! I'm hitting Slick Rock and the Rubicon over the next month so they'll be put to the test.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I have the body mounted bedlined steps. No rust yet. Put them on in October. Jeep was not driven and in heated shop over winter.

trader860

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished the install of my frame mounted rails. Install was fairly simple, with a couple of steps requiring a second set of hands. Anthony was very helpful and my order was shipped out the next day after I placed it. They seem sturdy with no flex, I can't wait to take them wheeling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders IMG_20200814_095059
Jeep Wrangler JL Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders IMG_20200814_095013

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Anyone know if the body mounted Roam side steps will support a high lift jack? If no, does the frame mounted one support it? Isnt there a bracket that supports conversion of the body mounted steps to Frame mounted?
Sponsored