Sponsored

Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1981 CJ7
Well dang wish I had seen this before I ordered mine. I think you will be able to sell them
Sponsored

Signal512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Grey Rubicon JLU
@ROAM

I just orders and installed your JLU frame mounted rock sliders and have a number of issues with them

1. mixed hardware. Had to make a journey to get something long enough to for the mounts.
2. Both studs broke on the passenger side logo blank off plate goes. There was a lot of paint over spray in the studs
3. The front of the drivers side has a gap, that when mounted/pushed in as far as it goes, I can fit most of my hand through. It’s very visible. The passenger side installed fine outside of the broken studs.

I sent you an email with photos and requested instructions for return and refund.

can you contact me please?

C675089E-7DA1-47D7-83B5-84081838787D.jpeg

648F4B69-3289-4946-9BEC-08B6D80F59EB.jpeg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
@ROAM

I just orders and installed your JLU frame mounted rock sliders and have a number of issues with them

1. mixed hardware. Had to make a journey to get something long enough to for the mounts.
2. Both studs broke on the passenger side logo blank off plate goes. There was a lot of paint over spray in the studs
3. The front of the drivers side has a gap, that when mounted/pushed in as far as it goes, I can fit most of my hand through. It’s very visible. The passenger side installed fine outside of the broken studs.

I sent you an email with photos and requested instructions for return and refund.

Man, that's a bummer. Wonder if the body mounted ones have tighter tolerances, jeez.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
@ROAM

White knuckle offroad has some great ones. Sorry you’re dealing with this. No excuse for the studs but might be possible to adjust the mounts to even up the gaps if they make it to difficult to return.

Worst case come see me and I’ll try adjust them for free. Used to install a bunch of them.

Brett

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@ROAM

Hmmmmmm.

I didn’t have this issue when I installed mine a few weeks ago......

Hope that everything works out for you.

Sponsored

Signal512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Bret - Nice offer. I just might have to take you up on that.

I've reached out to Roam via email and message.

Hopefully there is a postive response.

I'll post back the fix if there is one.

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
@ROAM

We received your email and have responded. Let us know if we can be of more help.

Rkligora

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just installed the frame mounted MK3 rock rails on a four door. I was under the assumption that these would be strong enough to hold the weight of the Jeep without contacting the body. After I installed these rock rails, I’ve found that the front bracket, where it’s mounted to the frame, doesn’t seem to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the Jeep. I can easily put my knee under the steps and push up until it contacts the front fender. It moves over half an inch just by pushing it with my leg. Concerned about how this will protect the body on trails in Moab next spring. Has anyone else had this issue? The rear of the steps seem to be plenty strong, it’s just the front that seems to be less sturdy.

Anyone try a high lift jack under one of these rock rails?

Signal512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Anthony

thanks for the call. Your tips were spot on and helped me get things corrected in my side.

I underestimated how much things could move/slip while installing. I made a few adjustments based on your feedback and everything is good to go.

as far as customer service goes, the fact that you reached out and gave me a call is top tier and very appreciated. There isn’t enough of that lately.

thanks again for the support and great product.

Sponsored

Punk'nRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLU Rubicon
Just installed the frame mounted MK3 rock rails on a four door. I was under the assumption that these would be strong enough to hold the weight of the Jeep without contacting the body. After I installed these rock rails, I’ve found that the front bracket, where it’s mounted to the frame, doesn’t seem to be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the Jeep. I can easily put my knee under the steps and push up until it contacts the front fender. It moves over half an inch just by pushing it with my leg. Concerned about how this will protect the body on trails in Moab next spring. Has anyone else had this issue? The rear of the steps seem to be plenty strong, it’s just the front that seems to be less sturdy.

Anyone try a high lift jack under one of these rock rails?
I also just installed the frame mounted MK3 rock rails and have noticed the same issue. It's like the front bracket mounting surface needs to be taller to tie into the frame and maybe wrap under the frame and bolt to the hole that is already on the bottom of the frame. It seems to weak with only a two inch tall bracket bolted to the middle of the frame rail. I am happy with the rest of the build quality of these rails and they seem to be strong enough to hold up to the trails but i may have to address this issue before going out west.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I also just installed the frame mounted MK3 rock rails and have noticed the same issue. It's like the front bracket mounting surface needs to be taller to tie into the frame and maybe wrap under the frame and bolt to the hole that is already on the bottom of the frame. It seems to weak with only a two inch tall bracket bolted to the middle of the frame rail. I am happy with the rest of the build quality of these rails and they seem to be strong enough to hold up to the trails but i may have to address this issue before going out west.
post pictures, because I don't have this issue with mine. It is very solid at the front brackets

Rkligora

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
post pictures, because I don't have this issue with mine. It is very solid at the front brackets

Here is a video showing the movement at the front bracket area. Already rechecked and over torqued the bolts. Anyone else try this with the new MK3 style brackets?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

Here is a video showing the movement at the front bracket area. Already rechecked and over torqued the bolts. Anyone else try this with the new MK3 style brackets?
My suggestion is to pull them as far away from the body as the slots allow. We had numerous hard hits when we were running them and it never got into the body. That said, I wouldn’t use them as a jacking point with a hi lift jack

Brett

Rkligora

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My suggestion is to pull them as far away from the body as the slots allow. We had numerous hard hits when we were running them and it never got into the body. That said, I wouldn’t use them as a jacking point with a hi lift jack

Brett
I do have them adjusted as far out as they will go. On the passenger side I actually had to use a die grinder to very slightly enlarge the holes outward on the rear 2 brackets to gain another 1/4”. Not a big deal, just a little fine tuning to fit with enough clearance. I assume you wouldn’t use them as a lifting point because they won’t support the full weight of the Jeep. I have been in a group on the trail where we used a high lift jack on factory rock sliders to change a front tire. I was just hoping for the same strength out of these if I ever needed it.. I am very happy with there build quality and especially like the way they look. Just a bit concerned if I drop off a rock or a ledge in the front behind the tire. I maybe disappointed. Thanks
Sponsored