Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
For the quality of these sliders and the amount of engineering + materials I can't believe they are under $700 shipped to my door. I bet it costs a lot more than $89 to ship and ROAM eats some of the cost.
To be clear, no complaint on shipping costs...just noting that it isn't $49 any more (as it was at start of this thread a few months ago). 125 lbs ain't cheap to mail...

As an update - military discount ended up being 10%...great deal - total was $629.09 shipped...thanks ROAM! Looking forward to getting them in - Father's Day gift to myself...
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
New here - new Jeep owner - first post.

Decided on going with ROAM frame mounted rails - but was thinking about going with West Coast Sliders as price is same at this point...anyone on here have those? I haven't seen any photos except what is posted on site, so wondering how they install/fit/look from someone in the community.

I also note that no lights are on West Coast Sliders, but wondering if lights are worth the extra install effort.

Overall it sounds like ROAM has oversome a number of issues early on and is shipping on time, making a good product.

To note - sounds like shipping costs are up (quoted $89 for CA) - but I was told they offer a military discount (not sure how much yet).

Look forward to getting mine soon...
I looked into the West Coast sliders. They basically aren't available until the fall at the earliest and do not use the e-coat process. That's why I went with the standard sliders.

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking with ROAM over the last few days, the West Coast Sliders are available now and use the same e-coat process as all other rails. I was told that is the new standard coating across all product lines.

I decided against West Coast option because they didn't have light option...which I probably won't take the time to hook up...but like to at least have the option of doing so.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Speaking with ROAM over the last few days, the West Coast Sliders are available now and use the same e-coat process as all other rails. I was told that is the new standard coating across all product lines.

I decided against West Coast option because they didn't have light option...which I probably won't take the time to hook up...but like to at least have the option of doing so.
Thats a big change from 2 weeks ago. @ROAM care to comment? Here is a direct quote from May 20:

Unfortunately our West Coast Edition package components have a pretty significant backorder log at this time. Best guess based on the current lead time is around ~12+ weeks or so. We do have a JL frame mounted variant of these as well, but they are also just powdercoated instead of E-Coated. At present, only our JL Rock Sliders (JL frame mounted) are E-Coated and by Q3 2019 all of our front and rear bumpers will also transition to E-Coat as well, but there is no current ETA on transitioning our West Coast Edition package components to E-Coat at this time; best guess on the transition will also be some time during Q3 2019.

Sponsored

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
why
Glad you got a tool that worked for you. Ive personally installed a ton of nutserts in my lifetime. m12 included. Never used a specialty nutsert tool. You can use an impact on it even if you aren't strong enough to just crank it.
why you calling my man weak? :CWL:

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Double posting here and in actual ROAM install thread...

My frame mounted ROAMs arrive tomorrow...I'm a little confused on a couple of things before I start.

1) Is a floor jack needed? This thread says no...but the in depth installation guide thread by roam says that it is...that you need to support the crossmember before installing the passenger side front bracket. Confused on this one - looking for help/guidance.

2) Driver side aft...it appears that I won't have to use Rivnuts now...that ROAM provides another bracket for use there. Any confirmation out there from recent install. Rivnuts made to look easy by the guide, but I have yet to see/hear anyone hear say they aren't a huge pain.

3) If I decide on simple light hook up - so not trying to wire to activate with doors (even though that is cool - just looks like a lot of work)- is that easy? Curious how these are put together with rails - if I don't use them at first, do they tuck away or something.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

My frame mounted ROAMs arrive tomorrow...I'm a little confused on a couple of things before I start.

1) Is a floor jack needed? This thread says no...but the in depth installation guide thread by roam says that it is...that you need to support the crossmember before installing the passenger side front bracket. Confused on this one - looking for help/guidance.

2) Driver side aft...it appears that I won't have to use Rivnuts now...that ROAM provides another bracket for use there. Any confirmation out there from recent install. Rivnuts made to look easy by the guide, but I have yet to see/hear anyone hear say they aren't a huge pain.

Thanks in advance.
I went by the install guide. We installed the Rivnuts (thanks @chevymitchell) using a rivnut tool. Then I realized when we got done that you can use the new bracket instead. There just aren't any instructions for it. If you don't have a rivnut tool I would use the bracket.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Yes. You're going to want to support that cross-member when you take out the bolts to install the passenger side bracket. The jack is used to support the cross-member, not lift the jeep up. A significant amount of pressure is not needed for this.

The rivnuts are easy to install. The tool that comes with the kit, is the same bolt and nut tool most MFG's send with their kits if rivnuts are required. If you're going to be using the rivnuts, please do yourself a favor and obtain a good/quality rivnut tool. If you destroy a rivnut trying to install one, they drill out very easy. Their kit only comes with enough rivnuts for the job, so be prepared to need more if you're uncomfortable with the installation procedure. ROAM does include brackets, but I have not used these yet. I've only help install one set of these.

3) If I decide on simple light hook up - so not trying to wire to activate with doors (even though that is cool - just looks like a lot of work)- is that easy? Curious how these are put together with rails - if I don't use them at first, do they tuck away or something.

The lights themselves are just placed in holes in the steps with jam-nuts. You can easily remove them and install later.

If you want a simple hookup, you can use a gang ground and either a rocker switch or use an AUX switch if you have that option in your Jeep.

Here's a quick diagram I drew up. Just remember, LED's are diodes, so they will only work if the power and ground are in the correct position.

Capture.JPG

Thanks in advance.

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went by the install guide. We installed the Rivnuts (thanks @chevymitchell) using a rivnut tool. Then I realized when we got done that you can use the new bracket instead. There just aren't any instructions for it. If you don't have a rivnut tool I would use the bracket.
Thanks - pretty sure I can use the new bracket and avoid this issue (fingers crossed).

I don't have a floor jack - which is why I'm asking about that portion of the install - wondering what folks did that are saying you don't need it.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was provided the new flagnuts, instead of the rivnuts - WAY better. You do not need a jack at all for the install. Unbolt things, bolt brackets, add rail (and wires if wanted). DONE :beer:

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all - sounds simple enough. I'm overthinking all of this and just need to get to it...hopefully posting completed photos in a few days...

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all - sounds simple enough. I'm overthinking all of this and just need to get to it...hopefully posting completed photos in a few days...
Just let us know - we're all here to help each other. I for sure will be glad to lend any tips. If you're wiring...ping me if you need anything. I just did 2 sets of these :)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, I had forgotten about the part where you remove those 3 big bolts that hold the skid plate/cross member up. I used a jack for that part.....is it not needed? Can you remove those 3 bolts without the cross member falling down? I think you do need a jack for that part. Sorry to add confusion here, I believe you do need one for that part.

Bars themselves are light and can be added to the brackets afterwards and a jack is not needed. But to hold the cross member while you unbolt/bolt, I believe you do.

Last edited:

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Look forward to the report / results!
Sponsored