First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
For those that plan to use your rails or may have that potential, I highly suggest spacing your rails 1/2" away from the sheet metal. That is where I set mine to play it safe . . . Just saying.
Sponsored

i0iin65

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 06 Honda VFR800
Vehicle Showcase
How many people are skipping wiring in the lights? Doesn’t seem like something I need or want to mess with.
My thoughts exactly, I appreciate that ROAM put them there, I just didn't want to fool with it.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
How many people are skipping wiring in the lights? Doesn’t seem like something I need or want to mess with.
I removed the lights prior to installing the rails. I will probably install them later on.

Sponsored

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I have tried to get a picture of this but I am not having any luck. What I am trying to show is how the step runs front to back. They angle out. The front of the step is about even with the outside of my front tire, but the rear of the step sticks out past it. The gap from the step to the Jeeps seems about equal front to back. Is this how they are supposed to be?

2019-03-22 10.01.34.jpg

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
I have tried to get a picture of this but I am not having any luck. What I am trying to show is how the step runs front to back. They angle out. The front of the step is about even with the outside of my front tire, but the rear of the step sticks out past it. The gap from the step to the Jeeps seems about equal front to back. Is this how they are supposed to be?

2019-03-22 10.01.34.jpg
Yes, they extend out past the bottom of the rear fender more than they do in the front. This can appear more extreme on non-Rubicons due to the different shape of the non-Rubi fenders (I can't recall if Saharas have different rear fenders, but I know Sports do). I have a Rubi and it still extends out beyond the fender edge in the back. I think this is to provide sufficient space for the foot to step on in the rear (would be much narrower than the front step otherwise). It may not be as aesthetically pleasing, but is functional.

As long as you have an even gap between the body and the rail from front to back you should be fine.

ROAM side view.jpeg

DCRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I'm sorry you're having problems, but currently you're the only one I know of whom is having the issues that you've described.

Both the ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted) and the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps are built to exact specifications and are constructed from precision laser cut high strength steel and assembled on a precision jig. There are no current known inconsistencies and our fitment is second to none. Multiple redundant QA steps are effected in the process and every set of side steps are checked for fitment via a precision jig before packing and shipping.

Based on your other thread, this is not a QA issue because you are the only one that has reported an error as unique as this where the entire side step has a "1.5-2" gap that consistently follows the entire vehicle. If there is a dimensional skew or something did indeed fail QA and was a test escape it is still improbable that the same failure has somehow propagated to ALL of the brackets by the same amount.

Each one of our brackets and the main structure is a production item that is interchangable with a replacement of its kind and if there was a failure then it shouldn't be able to install at all because every part has an exacting tolerance.

And although there may be the possibility of your Jeep being somehow different or and although there are tolerance differences between various Jeeps, a 1.5" gap is not only outside of the adjustability range on our JL Rock Rails, but also because the skew is uniform, this is more likely than not an installation issue, which we're trying to replicate but thus far have not been able to.

In your other thread, you have specifically drawn a conclusion that not only is our stuff somehow faulty, but have supported allusions to that our stuff is somehow "cheap", which in context probably refers to the poster's opinion/accusation of being "cheaply made". I can understand if you're asking everyone if anyone else has experienced the same issues as you but this does not seem like a question.

Would you mind taking some more photos from different angles of what you're experiencing? Specifically would you mind taking photos of what all of the brackets look like installed currently? I'd be happy to work with you but there comes a point where either professional installation will be required (to eliminate the possibility of an installation error), or more pictures are necessary (to eliminate the possibility that somehow only your jeep is different, for example, because these are frame mounted that either the frame rail is made differently or damaged uniformly enough to cause a uniform 1.5-2" gap). If this indeed is our fault, I or anyone at ROAM would be happy to issue a replacement.

To clarify, I disagree with what you're describing as what you've experienced as a common "inconsistency" and a common experience. A 1.5" gap is not a common experience with our product.

But please do not accuse our stuff of being "inconsistent". If anything like I stated above our our stuff always has spot on fitment and if anything we are second to none.

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM
Hi Tara, I already worked this out with engineering. I don't appreciate you coming to the conclusion you did without first reading everything and the posts. I never once called the product cheap. Others did.

Second, manufactures need to understand that the first point of response cannot always be that YOUR product is perfect and its installation error. You do not know anything about me personally and my level of mechanical ability. With that being said, you clearly should not be in customer service.

A company is judged on how well they handle concerns and questions and so is the customer. This enables business continues to grow. Being in it together to fix the issue, whether it is a fault of the product, installation or some other error.

I could care less if a product is the best in the world if the position is to take the defense right out of the gate. The great thing is I can choose to spend my money where I see fit. Clearly you do not seem to understand the value of that.

Thanks

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
Just received my shipment notice and tracking number. Looking forward to receiving them!
Same here cant wait to put this malarchy to rest and see how they fit!! I know Roam makes badass products. I hate that its usually poor installation that gives people the most issues.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My only issue with these sliders and what's turning me off is they didn't weld those seams where the triangular piece of steel is.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Today, we had mom's 90th birthday dinner. I picked her up in my JLUR. She loved the new rails. She climbed into the front passenger seat with ease.

LOL . . . Haven't told her I'm going to add an AEV lift when available.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
For those that plan to use your rails or may have that potential, I highly suggest spacing your rails 1/2" away from the sheet metal. That is where I set mine to play it safe . . . Just saying.
That was my plan, 1/2 in.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My plan as well.
Sponsored