Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I guess I was just confused by this bolt since it looks like it was attached here
Sorry about the confusion,

Our Rock Rails (preproduction ROAM JL Rock Rails are pictured above) are mounted directly to the JL frame (with four high strength steel mounting brackets).

The mid bracket attaches to the frame with two bolts next to the body mount on the frame. The body to frame bolts do not need to be removed for installation. To clarify, the bracket actually bolts around the body to frame mount via two other bolt hole locations next to the JL body mount and the JL body to frame bolt does not need to be loosened or removed.

I've attached a few renderings of how both the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps below to show the differences between them.

i will tell you what wouldve been nice.....when i was ordering my roam steps a few months ago...
OOOOOOHHHH! That's a BIG change from the one I've got.. Hey @ROAM how about an upgrade kit?
TBA - When its released it'll probably be the difference in cost plus shipping. We'll definitely provide an upgrade path for everyone whom has purchased a set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps.

Thanks!

ROAM JL Rock Sliders 002.png

ROAM JL Rock Sliders 003.png

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps 004.png

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps 005.png
Sponsored

Luis Angel Reyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2D StingGray, F-150 SuperCrew, Venza
Sorry about the confusion,

Our Rock Rails (preproduction ROAM JL Rock Rails are pictured above) are mounted directly to the JL frame (with four high strength steel mounting brackets).

The mid bracket attaches to the frame with two bolts next to the body mount on the frame. The body to frame bolts do not need to be removed for installation. To clarify, the bracket actually bolts around the body to frame mount via two other bolt hole locations next to the JL body mount and the JL body to frame bolt does not need to be loosened or removed.

I've attached a few renderings of how both the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps below to show the differences between them.

TBA - When its released it'll probably be the difference in cost plus shipping. We'll definitely provide an upgrade path for everyone whom has purchased a set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps.

Thanks!

ROAM JL Rock Sliders 002.png

ROAM JL Rock Sliders 003.png

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps 004.png

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps 005.png
Do you know when will be available for the 2 door JL?

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
As my ROAM rock rails arrived today I would have liked to known about this option before shipping as I would have waited and paid the upgrade fee.

Since the mounting points are different would the upgrade be more than a mounting bracket change or would the entire step need to be replaced? If it is a simple mounting bracket swap that would be great and I am willing to pay the extra cost associated with the new bracket.

any additional information would be helpful.

thanks

jbeiker

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Does anyone have any measurements how far these steps stick off the side of the Jeep? I am in the market for a set of steps and I am back and forth on the direction I would like to go. I really like the looks, the lighting and the price of the @ROAM. I found another set that looks very similar from lodoffroad.com - the destroyer series rock rails. These show a measurement of about 4.5" off the side of the jeep which is nice because they don't protrude out the side of the jeep too far keep the aesthetics of the jeep frame. Anyone happen to have a this measured to share by chance??

A.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
totalled 2007 JKU Sahara
On the new frame mounted ones, do the OEM rock sliders come off or do they mount over them?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@ROAM
Can anyone tell me how low these are compared to the stock Mopar side steps? We want something that has a step but also can take a beating on rocks.
Also the difference between body mount and frame mount:
Price?
Availability?
Being able to take a hit/slide?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
@ROAM
Can anyone tell me how low these are compared to the stock Mopar side steps? We want something that has a step but also can take a beating on rocks.
Also the difference between body mount and frame mount:
Price?
Availability?
Being able to take a hit/slide?
None of the Mopar side steps can take any real beating. The Rubicon has rock rails but they can't be used as steps. IMO the Rublicon's stock rails aren't the best protection because they are body mounted.

The Jeep is a body on frame vehicle. The body is structurally weaker than the frame. Body mounted means the step or rock rail is bolted to the bottom of the Jeep's body and usually to the pinch seam. That pinch seam is a weak point.

The frame is heavy steel and supports the weight of the body. it also provides the basis for the suspension to be mounted to. It is the strongest part of a Jeep's structure. Mounting rails to the frame usually means you're providing better protection to the body.

The original, body mounted, ROAM armor side steps can take a beating BUT they are mounted to the body and pinch seam the same way as the Rubicon rock rails but more beefy. However, as we've been discussing, the FRAME mounted Roam side steps are coming and they should be a helluva lot better.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I think you meant to say BODY mounted...

"The Jeep is a body on frame vehicle. The body is structurally weaker than the frame. Frame mounted means the step or rock rail is bolted to the bottom of the Jeep's body and usually to the pinch seam. That pinch seam is a weak point."

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
None of the Mopar side steps can take any real beating. The Rubicon has rock rails but they can't be used as steps. IMO the Rublicon's stock rails aren't the best protection because they are body mounted.
Whoa ... getting political now :)

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I think you meant to say BODY mounted...

"The Jeep is a body on frame vehicle. The body is structurally weaker than the frame. Frame mounted means the step or rock rail is bolted to the bottom of the Jeep's body and usually to the pinch seam. That pinch seam is a weak point."
In my defense, I had only drank 3 cups of coffee at that point.. I usually have 5 by then.. :D

abcgt2l

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4-Runner, 2005 Honda S2000
Sounds like the frame mounted side steps are going to be superior, however for $100 less would the body mounted side steps be an option if used only to help the little ones get it the vehicle. Or does it make sense to wait and order the frame mounted when available. Thanks

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
however for $100 less would the body mounted side steps be an option if used only to help the little ones get it the vehicle.
This is the route I’m going ... save $100, a few pounds, and I can’t imagine i’ll ever need the frame mounted difference in protection. Plus, they hit my front step last night :)

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Sounds like the frame mounted side steps are going to be superior, however for $100 less would the body mounted side steps be an option if used only to help the little ones get it the vehicle. Or does it make sense to wait and order the frame mounted when available. Thanks
Do you intend on going offroad? And if you do, do you intend on doing anything more than just fire roads?

If that answer is yes. Then go frame mounted.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Any updates on the frame mounted version’s availability?
Sponsored