Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the body mount version of the Roam step will be publically available late November / early December.

I'm just going to have to be patient :piggybank:
According to this thread it would seem they are both available. One guy says he's pissed becasue he has the body mount version and the OP shows he has the frame mount version.
Why would you want the body mount version? Mounting to the frame is the best way to go.
Sponsored

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
I think he meant frame mount
Indeed did mean frame mount version. Thanks for the correction mate - been a bit of a day.

Got an email back from Roam earlier today and they noted the frame mount will cost more then the body mount version, and the body mount will not be upgradable after the fact to the frame mount version.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
So are you still in love with these? We are looking to get some side steps but most appear to be body mounted. We want something that will be able to take a hit like a rock rail (I assume rock rails are frame mounted??) but also be a step. Currently we have the stock Mopar side steps that come with the Sahara. The problem is with a 2" lift these are pretty much useless from a step perspective. Ideally we want something that hangs down a little to make it easier on the Mrs. getting in and out. But then I saw that the Roam ones are frame mounted and reasonably priced. Have you beat on them or taken a hit on them?
Here is something we found (among many others) https://www.quadratec.com/p/go-rhino/d1-dominator-side-steps-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl
The body mounted ROAM steps use the same mounting points as the Rubi rock rails, so they should be able to handle whatever the stock rails could. I have the steps on my Rubi and my 5'2" tall wife uses them to get in and out with no issues.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The body mounted ROAM steps use the same mounting points as the Rubi rock rails, so they should be able to handle whatever the stock rails could. I have the steps on my Rubi and my 5'2" tall wife uses them to get in and out with no issues.
This was my exact thinking when I saw how the Rubi's stock rock rails were mounted. While the new frame mounted Roam steps are better, the body mounted steps should be pretty damn good for most situations. I just wish @ROAM offered an upgrade kit to retrofit them for frame mounting.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I communicated with ROAM on my order and they stated body mount not available for ordering yet.

Bullitt5897

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
I just checked my ROAM steps and you would need to modify the non frame mounted unit to be frame mounted. the mounts are offset from the Frame bolts. It looks like ROAM extended the regular mounts and added an additional mount to the frame bolt.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
This new framed mounted ROAM unit will be my first mod when my JLUR arrives.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
These things are awesome.

I couldn't do side steps that hang low as I actually offroad my JL.

They are built solid with nice styling. Once I get my roof rack, these will definitely help with that too. As you can literally stand on them with both foot and get easy roof access.

The logo also has a backside insert that you can paint whatever color you want. The first picture doesn't have this insert on, the second picture shows it with red. And the accent lighting is a nice extra touch.

@ROAM

I am confused by Roam's offering. On their website I see the ROAM Side Amor Steps. I believe these to be the standard body mounted ones most people have been installing. These sell for $399. But I also see ROAM JL Rock Rails, selling for $499. Unfortunately the website has no pic of these so I can't tell if these are the same thing the OP posted or what. The descriptions for neither one say how they mount. Can the OP or anyone else please shed some light on their product offerings. Is the $499 version the side steps with frame mount?

I sent @ROAM a DM and an email but have not heard back. See the attached screen shot of their website for reference.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.50.32 PM.png

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
I am confused by Roam's offering. On their website I see the ROAM Side Amor Steps. I believe these to be the standard body mounted ones most people have been installing. These sell for $399. But I also see ROAM JL Rock Rails, selling for $499. Unfortunately the website has no pic of these so I can't tell if these are the same thing the OP posted or what. The descriptions for neither one say how they mount. Can the OP or anyone else please shed some light on their product offerings. Is the $499 version the side steps with frame mount?

I sent @ROAM a DM and an email but have not heard back. See the attached screen shot of their website for reference.
They are much more responsive over email for me.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here was my PM from ROAM:
“And we don't have the frame mount version out yet. The one on our website is body mounted as it has always been.”

Im not sure if they want to burn inventory or if they’ll offer 2 versions?

JGSQUAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you have to remove the body bolt or is it only attached to the two studs on either side of the body bolt (like the LOD Destroyer series mounts)?

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Do you have to remove the body bolt or is it only attached to the two studs on either side of the body bolt (like the LOD Destroyer series mounts)?
Frame mounted - they mount at 4 locations directly to the frame.

JGSQUAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Frame mounted - they mount at 4 locations directly to the frame.
I guess I was just confused by this bolt since it looks like it was attached here too somehow and these are the ones people are having problems with breaking and I want to avoid removing.
roamstep.jpg

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Roam Side Armor steps are $399 and will stay at that price. The Roam JL Rock Rails are $599 but will be $499 for a limited time. It's two different options that look the same but function a bit different and will cost a bit differently. Keeping prices for those who have families and just need steps and a fair price for those who will rock crawl. Frame mount steps will be beefier so it can handle more than the Side Armor steps. The only difference from @simpleJL Rock Rails will be that the final version will have a better finish (not that his isn't great) so it can handle the toughest trails.
Awesome. Thanks for the response @ROAM. Just to confirm: the Roam JL Rock Rails look exactly like the Roam Side Steps but bolt to the frame.

That’s a great price. And yes i have a family that needs helping getting into the vechile and I also like to hit the trails. Thanks for thinking about this! Much appreciated. I’ll be ordering
Sponsored