Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on 37 “ bead locks and I’m planning to re-gear to 4.88 or 5.13s, but not sure when. I still see 8th gear occasionally but find myself in 7th most of the time. My question to those in the know, and above my pay grade is, Will this damage anything within the transmission or is there any long term damage waiting for me down the road ?

I know I’m breaking the rules posting this here, and the mods are going to move me, but wanted to post in gen pop before I get sent to the hole.....:(.

Sorry if it’s been asked and answered , I did what looking I know how to do , which isn’t much, didn’t find any definitive answers.
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You won't damage the transmission.
Thanks..... with the computers having their hand in almost everything we do or are, I just wasn’t sure.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks..... with the computers having their hand in almost everything we do or are, I just wasn’t sure.
There's definitely real value in reprogramming. You'll get 8th back and it'll shift better. When I did mine at the dealer it was $125 but someone else may need to update as I think it's $150 now. Or of course you can buy a Tazer.

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There's definitely real value in reprogramming. You'll get 8th back and it'll shift better. When I did mine at the dealer it was $125 but someone else may need to update as I think it's $150 now. Or of course you can buy a Tazer.
Thanks... I have the tazer , what do you mean reprogram? I set the new tire size. Is there something else?

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks... I have the tazer , what do you mean reprogram? I set the new tire size. Is there something else?
Ahh I am not an expert at the Tazer but I paid a dealer to do the factory reprogram on my tires which they say does the speedo and transmission shift points.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Tazer won’t correct the shift points to get your 8th gear back. I am on 35s and have the Tazer and 8th is mostly a fantasy except under certain conditions. It only corrects the spredo, doesn’t reprogram transmission shift points. Gears do that.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’m on 37 “ bead locks and I’m planning to re-gear to 4.88 or 5.13s, but not sure when. I still see 8th gear occasionally but find myself in 7th most of the time. My question to those in the know, and above my pay grade is, Will this damage anything within the transmission or is there any long term damage waiting for me down the road ?

I know I’m breaking the rules posting this here, and the mods are going to move me, but wanted to post in gen pop before I get sent to the hole.....:(.

Sorry if it’s been asked and answered , I did what looking I know how to do , which isn’t much, didn’t find any definitive answers.
Thanks
No issues. In the 300,000 mile view 7th will wear out before 8th.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Tazer won’t correct the shift points to get your 8th gear back. I am on 35s and have the Tazer and 8th is mostly a fantasy except under certain conditions. It only corrects the spredo, doesn’t reprogram transmission shift points. Gears do that.
Good info I didn't know.

I would recommend the factory flash for the shift points. Worth it to me. Feels stock now.
Sponsored