Sponsored

Love my Rubicon 4xe, but this drives me crazy!

DanN427

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe
I absolutely LOVE my Jeep. I waited a long time to get one and couldn't be happier!

But there's one small, tiny, insignificant thing that drives me nuts:

Why on earth does the menu in the center of the instrument cluster page up when you push the down arrow and page down when you push the up arrow on the left of the steering wheel??

It's so counter-intuitive! If I am on page 3, then hit the up arrow, I would expect to be on page 4.

Again, so insignificant, but it drives my OCD crazy!!

Thanks for listening!! ;)
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Why on earth does the menu in the center of the instrument cluster page up when you push the down arrow and page down when you push the up arrow on the left of the steering wheel??
Up = Previous
Down = Next

It's like using a trackwheel on a computer mouse. Typically, you scroll up and whatever you are looking at scrolls down and vice versa.

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

It matches the ass backwards automatic transmission shifter: up to downshift; down to upshift...
dumbest thing ever. My Moms rav4 did that. absolutely stupid

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I absolutely LOVE my Jeep. I waited a long time to get one and couldn't be happier!

But there's one small, tiny, insignificant thing that drives me nuts:

It's so counter-intuitive! If I am on page 3, then hit the up arrow, I would expect to be on page 4.

Again, so insignificant, but it drives my OCD crazy!!

Thanks for listening!! ;)
Oh man...

Wait until you figure out you have to push the turn signal down to go left and up to go right. Lol

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
dumbest thing ever. My Moms rav4 did that. absolutely stupid
It's done this way because of the direction of acceleration. You don't want to push forward if accelerating is pulling you backwards. I know it's not a drag car, but it's done this way for this purpose. Same with Manual downshifting. You don't want to pull back if you and the vehicle are being thrown forward.

Anyone driving a drag car (Th350/400, for example) will swap to a reverse valve body which is essentially what this is in Manual mode, just electronic shifting.

Here's a quickie, jump to :30:

Last edited:

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It matches the ass backwards automatic transmission shifter: up to downshift; down to upshift...
LOL Jeep had it correct.

Its origin is that when you decel you have g-forces pulling you forward and when you accel is the other way around, so shift direction should be the same way.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
As someone else explained it, and it helped me see it better, the menus are numbered 1-9 (at least in my '18 Sahara), and UP goes up to the next menu number (IE: 1 to 2, 2 to 3), rather than seeing it as a list.

It helps to visualize the menus in a horizontal layout rather than vertical.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As someone else explained it, and it helped me see it better, the menus are numbered 1-9 (at least in my '18 Sahara), and UP goes up to the next menu number (IE: 1 to 2, 2 to 3), rather than seeing it as a list.

This.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanN427

DanN427

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Wrangler Rubicon 4Xe

If I am on page 3, then hit UP, it goes to page 2, which in my mind it is going DOWN a page. Mind boggling!!! LOL

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
LOL Jeep had it correct.

Its origin is that when you decel you have g-forces pulling you forward and when you accel is the other way around, so shift direction should be the same way.
Sorry but that sounds like German logic —ZF is a German company.

For years, Chrysler auto shift transmissions were up to upshift and down to downshift; that was plain and simple. And didn’t require bringing in the gravitational force of the planet into it.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
If I am on page 3, then hit UP, it goes to page 2, which in my mind it is going DOWN a page. Mind boggling!!! LOL

You're right, I stated it the way I initially thought of it.

If you visualize it vertically.

then when you are on 3 and hit UP, you go UP to 2

sdeli

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bolt, 4xe Rubicon
Think of the display as a window with a small view of a long piece of paper. The issue is what does the down button control. If it controls the window and moves the window “down” one gets the behavior you expect - down shows you the content “below” what you are currently seeing. If the down button controls the paper one is looking at then down moves the paper down and then you see what is above the current view. Still annoying when it is implemented contrary to how one thinks.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Sorry but that sounds like German logic —ZF is a German company.

For years, Chrysler auto shift transmissions were up to upshift and down to downshift; that was plain and simple. And didn’t require bringing in the gravitational force of the planet into it.
I work as an engineer for the company that produces the shifter (not ZF), and it is not a ZF spec. This was an FCA decision
Sponsored