Love my 4xe, needs a sport mode

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
First off I love our new gecko 4xe! Driving under electric propulsion is much nicer than I expected.
However- I bought the 4xe for the increased power. I can certainly put it in auto 4 wheel drive, turn off traction control, and out it in manual mode on the transmission to go fast , but that’s a lot of work to take off fast from a stop light.

anyone else wishing there was a sport button that prioritizes power over fuel economy?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could something like this be done with a Tazer? I’m not a software guy so I have no idea what magnitude a challenge this might be.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Could something like this be done with a Tazer? I’m not a software guy so I have no idea what magnitude a challenge this might be.
Id only trust something straight from Jeep with how integrated the 4xe systems are. I’m sure 3rd parties could write up some changes but may cause other issues.

TheCarFather

First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Sahara
I'd also appreciate a couple more driving modes, specifically a Sport mode along with a true FULL electric. As much as I'd like a true Sport mode, I'd also like to be able to "floor" it in electric mode without firing up the ICE.

Sponsored

GAGT

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4Xe, 19 TM3P, 02 Ford HD, 01 GAGT
First off I love our new gecko 4xe! Driving under electric propulsion is much nicer than I expected.
However- I bought the 4xe for the increased power. I can certainly put it in auto 4 wheel drive, turn off traction control, and out it in manual mode on the transmission to go fast , but that’s a lot of work to take off fast from a stop light.

anyone else wishing there was a sport button that prioritizes power over fuel economy?

I typically ride around with TC and ESC* off. Just swap it over to e-save mode when I want to take off. Be observant of your oil temp thou, or else you'll essentially just start your engine at cold and run it to redline with more viscus oil than intended, leading to oil starvation.

*It will beep at you at passing 40mph saying ESC is now active and also slowing down under 40mph stating ESC is back off.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
4 hi Auto (2 hi limits the torque).

Either have it in Hybrid mode, put the shifter into manual shift, and slip it back to auto just before the light changes or...

Put it in eSave - Save (not eSave - Charge) before the light changes.

Push the go pedal down all the way.

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350

1,000x yes on the sport mode!

I posted this elsewhere but I had gone quite a while between fill ups and the Jeep went into a "fuel and oil refresh mode" where the engine ran along with the electric while in "D" and did not shut off until the vehicle shut off (I assume this forced engine mode burns off contaminants in the oil when the vehicle thinks the ICE has not been run enough) . The all Electric mode was not available during this.

Absolutely the MOST fun I've had diving it in the 4+ months I've had it. Certainly not the most economical but the software did a fantastic job of blending the 2 power sources. Electric torque to launch the Jeep then a tapering off of electric while gas took over. Instant power without the ruckus that ensues when you floor it when the engine has been off. Easily doubled the battery life when blending the two.

You can sort off get this mode by throwing it in manual mode but it sucks in traffic. I am a manual guy at heart but the Jeep is NOT a vehicle that begs to have it's automatic driven manually. It's so tedious.

I would for sure pay for this mode if Tazer did this. I would think they could figure out a way to trick the car into this mode. And eSave is not the same at all. With that you're back to ICE only and don't have any of the benefit of the electric torque/hp.

lilred7879

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Just an FYI - I reached out to Diablo and they are considering working on a programmer for the 4Xe. I volunteered my Jeep for testing and they have been looking at scheduling it for later this year but if people contact them maybe they will speed up the process. - https://www.diablosport.com/

OP
OP

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I posted this elsewhere but I had gone quite a while between fill ups and the Jeep went into a "fuel and oil refresh mode" where the engine ran along with the electric while in "D" and did not shut off until the vehicle shut off (I assume this forced engine mode burns off contaminants in the oil when the vehicle thinks the ICE has not been run enough) . The all Electric mode was not available during this.

Absolutely the MOST fun I've had diving it in the 4+ months I've had it. Certainly not the most economical but the software did a fantastic job of blending the 2 power sources. Electric torque to launch the Jeep then a tapering off of electric while gas took over. Instant power without the ruckus that ensues when you floor it when the engine has been off. Easily doubled the battery life when blending the two.

You can sort off get this mode by throwing it in manual mode but it sucks in traffic. I am a manual guy at heart but the Jeep is NOT a vehicle that begs to have it's automatic driven manually. It's so tedious.

I would for sure pay for this mode if Tazer did this. I would think they could figure out a way to trick the car into this mode. And eSave is not the same at all. With that you're back to ICE only and don't have any of the benefit of the electric torque/hp.
Very interesting. So the programming is already all there - just need a way to turn this mode on at will rather than when the jeep wants to in order to refresh oil/fuel.

I"m not a software guy but if the software is already there that must be easier than creating it all from scratch.

Sponsored

lilred7879

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Very interesting. So the programming is already all there - just need a way to turn this mode on at will rather than when the jeep wants to in order to refresh oil/fuel.

I"m not a software guy but if the software is already there that must be easier than creating it all from scratch.
Yeah unfortunately all OEM's have their PCM's locked down so the process normally requires replacing the PCM with an unlocked one (about $1K) and then modifying the programming.

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
Yeah unfortunately all OEM's have their PCM's locked down so the process normally requires replacing the PCM with an unlocked one (about $1K) and then modifying the programming.
Not necessarily. I have a Golf R that has an OBD plug in module and an app that can code an astonishing number of things with a few taps. Many or most of them seem, at least on the surface to be alot more complex than changing the Jeep to an already existing driving mode.

The complexity would be how to enable it on demand. You'd need to have a way to switch it on whenever you wanted, then presumably have it revert back when you turned off the ignition

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

So was it similar to when electric is <1% or was it better? And if so, how could you tell both Ice and electric were running at full power at the same time?

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
So was it similar to when electric is <1% or was it better? And if so, how could you tell both Ice and electric were running at full power at the same time?
Yes and no. At least in mine, when electric just gets to <1% there is a period of time where the engine still shuts down at red lights and the Jeep runs on electric up to 15-20? mph until the engine comes back on. At some point it seems to be all gas.

What I am talking about was a mode that blends gas and electric full time. You can see that they are both running and the level of power each is providing either on the main screen in the hybrid? app or more easily scrolling through the modes on you center display between the dials. You can see the level of each changing as conditions vary.

You can sort of force this mode by bumping the gear shifter to manual mode and shift manually. The gas engine stays on but you have to deal with the tedium of manually shifting. The minute you put it back in "D" the engine will shut down asap.

Chubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Nope. It’s a Jeep. If I wanted a sport mode I’d go get in my sports car. If anything I’d want more off road options to exploit the off road design of the vehicle.
Sponsored