Loud Ticking Sound At Idle - FIXED

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Wow that sounds bad. I was going to say that is not a octane knock. That is a metal to metal something. Glad the dealer is working on it. Good Luck!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That is great news... let us know if everything got fixed accordingly.

How involved was the dissasembly?
Well, the valve cover needs to come off, both camshafts need to come out, then the rockers. It's not something I would want to do myself. The part that sucks the most is the engine has been cracked open for repair with an issue that started straight from the factory.

The only thing good to come out of this was a 5 year 100,000 mile Mopar Warranty for $1,050.

Wow that sounds bad. I was going to say that is not a octane knock. That is a metal to metal something. Glad the dealer is working on it. Good Luck!!!
Yup, stuck 93 octane in it as soon as I drove off the lot. Oh well, shit happens I guess. American Made Goodness :)

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Got a call from the dealership today, they said the issue had been resolved and I could come pick up the car tomorrow after they gave me an alignment. Stopped by at the end of work today, had them turn over the car so I could listen to it myself. The knock is still as audible as it was before.

So now I wait....

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Got a call from the dealership today, they said the issue had been resolved and I could come pick up the car tomorrow after they gave me an alignment. Stopped by at the end of work today, had them turn over the car so I could listen to it myself. The knock is still as audible as it was before.

So now I wait....
Unreal! Mine sounds like ticking too but it might be fuel injectors. My iPhone won’t let me upload the video. Damn it!

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine sounds more like a knock, you cant really hear it when you pop the hood, you really really hear it outside on the passenger side towards the bottom of the vehicle.

When you pop your hood and hear ticking that's 100% normal, the fuel injectors doing their thing. Pretty much all Direct Injection motors tick away.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Here's another video from tonight, after the supposed fix.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission

Here's another video from tonight, after the supposed fix.
That doesn’t make sense if they took it apart and fixed it? Where would it be coming from or the cause of it now?

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That doesn’t make sense if they took it apart and fixed it? Where would it be coming from or the cause of it now?
No idea man, all I can think of is they misdiagnosed the issue. That part that pisses me off is it sounds exactly how it did before and they should have been able to tell.

Does your tick sound like my knock?

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No idea man, all I can think of is they misdiagnosed the issue. That part that pisses me off is it sounds exactly how it did before and they should have been able to tell.

Does your tick sound like my knock?
Yes I thought my tick sounded like your knock. My wife listened and said mine was more subtle. Now I’m worried.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes I thought my tick sounded like your knock. My wife listened and said mine was more subtle. Now I’m worried.
Sorry dude, I definitely don't want to make any worry! I listened to two different Rubicons they had on the lot and neither of them made that knock noise. That's the main reason why they agreed to look at it. Oh well, they will update me tomorrow with what they decide to do.

Sponsored

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry dude, I definitely don't want to make any worry! I listened to two different Rubicons they had on the lot and neither of them made that knock noise. That's the main reason why they agreed to look at it. Oh well, they will update me tomorrow with what they decide to do.
No worries. I’ll try to upload my Video too. I hoe yours is ok though. Keep us posted please

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sorry to hear (literally), seems the noise is not coming from the rockers. Did the dealer see any score marks to think it was the rockers?

Will you try driving it a bit more? Or whats the plan?

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sorry to hear (literally), seems the noise is not coming from the rockers. Did the dealer see any score marks to think it was the rockers?

Will you try driving it a bit more? Or whats the plan?
No score marks on the camshafts. Plan is to leave it with the dealership until it is fixed.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Mine sounds more like a knock, you cant really hear it when you pop the hood, you really really hear it outside on the passenger side towards the bottom of the vehicle.

When you pop your hood and hear ticking that's 100% normal, the fuel injectors doing their thing. Pretty much all Direct Injection motors tick away.
The updated Pentastar in the JL does not use direct injection. You shouldn’t hear a loud ticking noise as you would in a direct injection engine.

Not sure how loud of a tick is normal for the V6 engine.

The 2.0T is direct injection and will tick like an old VW bug that needs a valve adjustment!
Sponsored