Sponsored

Loud rattling front driver wheel well

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
No drivability issues, and honestly I've kind of been ignoring it for a few months (at least).

Definitely sounds like it's coming directly from the wheel well right over the driving position. My sister who also owns a JL was in mine the other day and she was like, "What is that noise?" Mostly happens when on rough roads (roads around here just filled with pot holes and stuff).

I initially thought it was a loose bolt or something from when I put on my LOD bumper, but I've been over it quite a few times and can't seem to find anything loose. I've only had it offroad a couple times on beaches during this time, no rocks.

If anybody has any idea of what I could look for, that would be awesome. Please explain like I'm a toddler, though, because I'm not great with this stuff but I'm trying to learn more. Thanks!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Could be a number of things.
  1. Bad ball joint
  2. Bad shock
  3. Loose shock bolt/s
  4. Loose wire harness

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Might just be the the fender light wiring connector it's between the fender and plastic liner.
I will check that

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I should have initially added that it's a metallic kind of sound, so either something is banging against metal or it's metal on metal. Something like that is my guess, but I will also check the suggestions so far.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I had that for a while. It was actually a liner clip that came loose and I didn’t see it. It must have been knocked out when the previous owner installed mud flaps, which also caused noise as they were bit secured properly. Luckily, he didn’t do any other upgrades … 😃

Sponsored

OP
OP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Welp, thought I would update to let you guys know what it actually was.

So, this rattling noise had been going on for awhile. Honestly probably over a year, so when you hear what happened just keep in mind that my dumb self probably made it much worse by not checking it/getting it checked out right away.

My sway bar end links and bushings somehow got dislodged and were essentially beating/twisting/warping/damaging my sway bar. Since I continued to just blissfully drive the thing for so long, the damage continued to compound and now I need a completely new sway bar along with the end links. 700 bucks and I've been out of warranty for quite some time.

Yay. Nobody to blame but myself for letting it get to the point where the actual sway bar is pulverized. I do wonder what in the world caused the end links to get messed up, though. I've taken it on sand dunes and my streets do have lots of pot holes, but I'm not doing the rubicon or anything.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a great excuse to get an Antirock! :p
Sponsored