Sponsored

Loud clicking/banging noise when performing low speed turns

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
2019 JLU, 2.5 RC spacer lift, all components are stock with the exception of the UCA & front track bar. I recently added some metalcloak UCA's & front trackball to help with my caster & recenter the axle. I made sure all bolts were torqued to spec, and tightened the jam nuts and paint marked them to make sure they aren't moving. I can't identify where exactly the sound is coming from but it's getting more frequent that I hear it. Since switching over to a soft top for the summer I'm hearing it even more which leads me to believe it was an issue all along and I just didn't hear it. These noises were here prior to the trackball and UCA install but they've gotten worse since. Any ideas on what it could be?
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Are the noises in 2H, 4LO, or both?

When you installed your lift did you loosen the LCAs/trackbar and tighten when everything was back on the ground?

Do you have aftermarket sway bar end links, possibly quick disconnects? One of mine was lose and made a lot of noise during low speed turns.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
2019 JLU, 2.5 RC spacer lift, all components are stock with the exception of the UCA & front track bar. I recently added some metalcloak UCA's & front trackball to help with my caster & recenter the axle. I made sure all bolts were torqued to spec, and tightened the jam nuts and paint marked them to make sure they aren't moving. I can't identify where exactly the sound is coming from but it's getting more frequent that I hear it. Since switching over to a soft top for the summer I'm hearing it even more which leads me to believe it was an issue all along and I just didn't hear it. These noises were here prior to the trackball and UCA install but they've gotten worse since. Any ideas on what it could be?
Does it sound/behave like this?

If so, I've been chasing down a low speed clicking while turning and it turned out to be the lower ball joints not being tight enough. I was going to take it into the dealer but it seemed trivial so I just grabbed a 22mm wrench, pulled the cotter pin on the lower passenger ball joint and cranked the castle nut another slot over and reinserted the pin. I eliminated the click with just the passenger lower ball joint but do them one by one until you have quiet low speed turns.

OP
OP

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Does it sound/behave like this?

If so, I've been chasing down a low speed clicking while turning and it turned out to be the lower ball joints not being tight enough. I was going to take it into the dealer but it seemed trivial so I just grabbed a 22mm wrench, pulled the cotter pin on the lower passenger ball joint and cranked the castle nut another slot over and reinserted the pin. I eliminated the click with just the passenger lower ball joint but do them one by one until you have quiet low speed turns.
thanks for the vid. this is exactly what I'm experiencing, I'm taking it to a local shop Friday to have them check it out. Lets hope its a simple lightning and done

cajun027

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu rubicon
Mine is doing the same thing. What did they say it was

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's your ball joints. Mine are doing it also they just need to be properly torqued.
Sponsored