Sponsored

Loud AC Cooling Fan Fix - TSB 18-041-18 Rev B Oct 16

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What was the unrelated issue and did the dealer apply a software update for the unrelated issue? What temperature was it outside when the fan was loud? The fix prevents the fan from being on max speed at lower outdoor temperatures. It still will run at full speed in higher temperatures.
@californiajeeping

This comment is incorrect / wrong.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RogueRubicon

Could possibly be when your JL was at the dealership for the seat repair that the tech working on it decided to do any recommended (by FCA) PCM updates in regard to your JL.

If this is the case then those update(s) could very well have overwritten / changed the what the update that was done to quiet the fan originally.

Talk to to your Service Dept.. , SERVICE MANAGER, not the Service Writer.

Mention all the symptoms listed on the TSB, regarding fan noise and ask them to redo TSB 10-041-18 Rev. B and that since the last Service Depart. visit they all have returned.

Ask that they redo - do TSB 10-041-18 Rev. B .

Service Manager & Tech may or may not be able to oblidge. Much depends what tech is offered PCM update wise for a specific Vin#, as to what he can apply to that particular vehicle. A tech can sometimes though apply a given update at his discretion, even if FCA does not recommend.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrong how? Before the fix, the fan was on full blast every time no matter how hot the engine was. After the fix, the fan only was on full blast when the engine needed it, usually when the outdoor temperature was very hot.
@californiajeeping

Before the TSB was applied the JL, when AC was for example on AC MAX and you were in a say Taco Bell drive thru on a hot day, the Fan would ROAR. After the TSB was applied, no more roar when in drive thru like mentioned on a hot day with AC Max, on.

I was one of the first here that had the TSB done on his JL. The TSB did cure the ROAR...

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I had that software update last summer it worked for a while but now mine's loud again

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@californiajeeping

Before the TSB was applied the JL, when AC was for example on AC MAX and you were in a say Taco Bell drive thru on a hot day, the Fan would ROAR. After the TSB was applied, no more roar when in drive thru like mentioned on a hot day with AC Max, on.

I was one of the first here that had the TSB done on his JL. The TSB did cure the ROAR...
That’s basically what I said. Mine used to be loud no matter what. After the software update it is quiet most of time unless the engine is very hot and it then goes loud/fast as it should to cool things down.

Midwestjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Took mine to the dealer to have them flash it and they said it's all up to date, nothing they can do. I gave them the TSB number and he said they would apply it if they could, but since it doesn't show up as needing it they can't do it. Anyone run into this? What are my options at this point, try a different dealer?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I did mine two years ago and last year it started getting loud again. there's nothing you can do when they first did it two years ago and made a big difference but now it's back to being loud again

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I hear other cars when I'm stop that red light and it is not just ours theirs is loud also. In Texas this heat really makes them run hot also

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Am I the only one who wishes that you can choose to have a quiet fan or not?

Ever since this TSB came out, my A/C lost that super cold Max A/C that I loved on my 2018. And now my 2023 4xe is still the same way with only meager cold output.

I care not if it's loud. That just means that it's working!

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
I took a trip to Lake Tahoe this week to test some of my upgrades on trails near and around the Rubicon trail
Kept an eye on my coolant temp on and off road
This is what I saw
On road my fan will not kick into high until 231 and kicks out about 208-210
Off road in 4 wheel low it would kick in high at about 210 -215. Makes scene
What I don't like is the 231 on road temps before the fan kicks in. Although I know its normal
Is it possible to reprogram the on road fan full speed to a lower temp
One thing I did do wile up here was remove the highly restrictive grille inserts and it did help both pulling a long hill and cool down was a lot faster
I ordered the Gladiator / JL upgrade inserts with the large honeycomb to take there place
I was thinking of adding a 10" Mishimoto Fan and fan controller behind the grille and adjust it to come on at about 215
Has anyone added a fan and will it fit behind the grille or is this a bad idea
Thanks
Sponsored