Sponsored

Lots of Good Reviews, those Bad Ones though....

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Oh man. I love my JLURD. When I have it. When I can drive it. It has been in the shop for 25% of my ownership (since end of September). Developed an oil leak at around 6k miles on the driver's side of the engine. This has been a semi-common issue with the Gen-3 reading through Jeep and Ram forums and from what I am hearing from the Jeep reps I've been working with to get backordered parts. It was in the shop for more than 6 weeks for that. Got it back last Tuesday and it overheated several times by Thursday afternoon and went back to the dealer. Mine is now legally a lemon.
Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My JLURD is the first Diesel engine I’ve owned. After driving it for some time, it’s obvious why the average consumer would prefer a gas engine. However, I think it is ideal for the Jeep. It goes with the theme. The low end torque is awesome for on and off road! When I press the skinny pedal and hear the sound of the diesel, all is right in the world.

Also, the emissions stuff, although it’s more that can break on an FCA vehicle, is appreciated so that I don’t fee like I’m driving an environmental disaster.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I agree with every thing you’ve said except the first sentence. My experience has been just the opposite. Perhaps the correct answer, like many things, is YMMV.
Concur, way cheaper to order in ID vs purchase off the lot in CO.
I agree with both of these. Ordered my diesel, got exactly what I wanted, no haggling, and cheaper than taking one off the lot.
I'm not sure if the diesel will be problem free for me but I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Hello owners... What is your opinion?
After reading your post, you MUST purchase a 392. The power of the HEMI (and ZERO long term tests) COMPELS you!

All seriousness, I ran the math for myself and while I’ve wanted a diesel, the diesel just wasn’t the right fit FOR ME. The break even point from $$$ spent vs fuel savings was too long of a term to make it worth spending the extra money. Again, YMMV.

I had a Sahara rental 2.0 that was super peppy and left me impressed. I test drove the 3.6L and ended up getting that one with the mopar lift and 35’s and love it.

The horror stories are enough to freak anyone out. But you’ve got to remember that these are the exception and not the norm. Plus, if issues arise thru no fault of your own, they are covered thru the warranty. If you end up being one of the rare ones that gets a lemon, the law is on your side as a consumer and is there to protect you.

I hope this helps warm up your cold feet. If you need some athlete’s foot spray to kill a fungal infection, that’s on you pal.

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
I don’t think that the diesel is worth it at all ... I’m a diesel fan and have a 17' Cummins.
The upfront cost, maintenance costs of modern diesels and the associated risk of this diesel without the benefit of an increased towing capacity and an actually lowered payloadcapacity ... made 0 sense to me !!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Teddy B

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0
7500k on mine, mixed driving, Moab, higways, city, been awesome... so far... i am starting to worry with all Ive been reading though... but its under warranty for a while...

I drove all three, the 3.0 being the last, and coming from a diesel truck, I couldnt resist the way it drove. But... I wish I would have went 3.6 for simplicity and peace of mind...

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Just get the 3.6 6 cylinder and manual transmission and be done with it.
Having owned both, no thanks. I love a 6MT as much as the next enthusiast, but the Aisin AL6 in the JL is a piece of trash. The ZF 8HP75 on the other hand is an objectively better wheeling trans over nearly every surface and a yardstick by which the rest of the industry is measured. It pains me to admit it, but as much as the heart says 3.0 6MT would have been ideal, 3.0 with that Aisin would have been an atrocity. I happen to believe the 3.0 is the perfect power plant for the JL in my use case but understand people in different circumstances...it’s a vehicle capable of a ridiculous array of activities and there are too many individual variables to call one engine “best”. Transmission on the other hand, not even a fair fight.

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
Problems are always more vocal than not. Just look at the news....all you see is bad stuff.

The few that post up issues, while may be rare in reality, leave the biggest impressions. What you don't see are all the people with no issues. How many owners are not part of the digital world? How many people search out those few issues and find answers they're looking for on the forums...and therefore add to those issues by posing up their own situations.

I bought my JLURD a month ago. I live in Alaska, flew down to Seattle, picked it up and drove it to Colorado to a friends house to build it up. In a week or two, I'm heading back to Alaska with it in all it's glory. While I'm aware of some of the issues out there, I am not concerned. I've dropped a crap load of money into this thing and I haven't even made the first payment. I'm committed no matter.

Get what you want. Don't worry. In my opinion, you've got more of a chance to win the lottery than to be one of the few that have problems that require feeding the social monster.

tempImageboI821.jpg

tempImageNA3nDj.jpg
What rear bumper/tire carrier is that?

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
I want to tell my regen-a-diesel story, because it may be relevant.

My wife has an Audi A3 with a diesel 2 liter engine, yes the "cheater" 2010 "clean diesel" that wasn't actually clean. This was her daily driver for 10 years, around the city, and rarely was any trip past 10 miles on way. We would occasionally drive on a 200 mile trip to Portland from Seattle, that sort of thing, but it was a city car mostly.

My wife would tell me "check engine light is on again", she'd take it to the dealer, they'd "fix it" at no charge due to extended warranty that Audi kept extending due to their legal situation with cheating on emissions. Finally that ran out.

Meanwhile, I had an OBD2 device by then and the next time the check engine light came on, I plugged it in, and the car said "I need to regen". I had no idea what "regen" was, read about it, and voila - all we had to do was go on a 100 mile round trip, and then clear the check engine light which I could do. I've read that the Audi dealer would just push a button on their computer to tell the computer to regen as they warm it up to normal temps, rather than the usual 50 mile trip.

I'm pretty sure you can do the same with any diesel - just regen it it when you need to, or get some software and an OBD2 device and force a regen. I know the Edge device can do it for a Ram diesel.

Just from talking with others in here I've learned there are such devices! It will be one of my first purchases as I wait for the new ride to show up. Thanks for the story.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Concur, way cheaper to order in ID vs purchase off the lot in CO.
It IS cheaper for me to order. In Michigan, no local dealers want to come close to what Koons and Criswell want to sell for and I have NO problem driving for 8hrs to save $6K. What I want no delaer will order for their lot. I'm basically adding every package except the one-touch top, but with cloth seats. That seems to be an extremely rare build....a $63K Rubicon with cloth. I would be from stock for sure if they'd come close to the pricing I'm getting, but between the build and the figures I get from the big selling boys, I have to order. Thanks for all that info though.

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
My JLURD is the first Diesel engine I’ve owned. After driving it for some time, it’s obvious why the average consumer would prefer a gas engine. However, I think it is ideal for the Jeep. It goes with the theme. The low end torque is awesome for on and off road! When I press the skinny pedal and hear the sound of the diesel, all is right in the world.

Also, the emissions stuff, although it’s more that can break on an FCA vehicle, is appreciated so that I don’t fee like I’m driving an environmental disaster.

I'm the exact same. I want the diesel, and know it could be a better engine without the emissions stuff, but am willing to deal with it for the good of the bigger picture. This is just what the "new diesels" are going to be if you want one.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
While I can't speak to the reliability of the diesel, It sure reminds me of all the negative doombsaying about the 2.0 when it was new - you would have thought FCA was re-introducing the Edsel.
My experience with the 2.0T so far (others may differ): I drive 50 miles round trip to work. I am a CDS contractor for the USPS and on the days the mail is light enough to fit in my 2 door, I take it on the routes. Why? Because it is just always a better day when I can drive my Wrangler for any reason.
I've been on a few 1000 mile trips in it and have a few 100 miles of wheeling in it as well. And average between 23 - 24mpg. It has been a rock solid workhorse and a joy to own.
All I can say is close your eyes and go for it - might you get one with issues? It's possible with any vehicle. But, on the other hand you may get an absolute gem like I did.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I've owned CJs, an XJ and a JKR. By far the most comfortable and best equipped Jeeps are the JL.

Wife has 2019 JLU with 3.6 and 8 speed. 22000 miles and only issue has been a rattle in drivers door. Dealership had it 4 times and couldn't fix it. After reading on this forum, I put a light coat of silicone on the weather stripping and the rattle stopped. So far it's been a great vehicle.

Two months ago I picked up my 2021 JLUR special order. It has the 2.0 and 8 speed. I've only got 2000 miles on it but so far no issues. I live at 7000 ft and the turbo really makes the power. Just drove it to CO and passing at 10000 ft it goes from 65 to 90+ like it's nothing.

Any manufacturer can have a lemon and like others have said those are the most vocal owners.
Sponsored