Sponsored

Lots of Good Reviews, those Bad Ones though....

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
11/9/20 Almost 10K, love the power, love the sound, love the MPG. The only people who don't love it, seem to be those with issues. My guess by the relative few negative threads, the engine is very reliable and so are the emissions junk, at least to date.

Don't forget, EVERY component in the world has a bathtub curve for it's reliability curve. The amplitude and periods shift, but they're all shaped the same.
Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
1 week old. Rear Camera blacked out on me this Am. Magically, it came back on. Is it a blip? Who knows. I'm going to be deep into this with full lift, wheels 37s, all new armor and other mods. I expect it to have problems. EVERY car I have had has had problems. Audi, Toyota, Chevy, Subaru....that torque though....

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
That is a consideration with the diesel... The availability of parts just isn't there yet. The lift has to be Mopar (only one I found for that specific vehicle) and there are not exhaust options (that I have found, please tell me if anyone has).
Not sure what you're talking about with the lifts. There are a lot of companies that make diesel specific lifts. Some companies just throw a spacer in there which IMO is not a good option, but a lot of good companies make diesel specific springs, Clayton, AEV, Rock Krawler, etc

Engine bay is quite different so some of the the overlanding stuff isn't there, like dual battery, snorkels, etc are either not available or absolute minimal selection.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I have a 2020 JLURD and unfortunately, did have some problems. It was the power distribution center that shorted out the DEF pump. Took about 90 days to fix because of parts shortages. That occurred 1 month after purchase. That being said, Iā€™ve waited 30 years for the diesel and knew when I bought one of the first ones off the line that there might be some growing pains. Despite the early aggravation, I LOVE this engine. I toyed with trading it in for the 392, but losing the clatter and efficiency was too much to bear. Iā€™ve driven Jeeps since my 1992 4 banger with a manual transmission ($13,600 out the dooršŸ˜‚) and I can honestly say, I grin the most with this one every time I step on the skinny pedal. In the end, you do you, but itā€™s not like you see diesel wranglers stacking up with branded titles. IMHO, itā€™s the best Wrangler made in the past 30 years.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Hello owners, writing because I need some input. Yesterday was the second time I was supposed to call my salesman and give a deposit for a JLURD, but got cold feet. Two nights ago I was up till 1am here on the forums reading horror stories of this engine. Guys with 4-8K miles and it's already been in the shop for 30-60 days cause of some issue, most likely having to do with emissions.(?) My first Jeep was a new 08 JKUR and I loved it. I've three since then, always selling cause I make the wrong decision to buy and they're just not great daily drivers when your commute is almost 60 miles a day.
So my question is this: Understanding this crowd is going to be a bit biased, are my concerns valid? Or are these issues few and far between? I've heard the 3.0 is a great engine if you do longer trips with it (like my commute) as it has time to regen, and that these guys having these horrible experiences are likely using them in town more than on the highway. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't have me nervous. No one wants to drop $60K and then have to visit the service department 10x a year. I, like many, have always said I'd buy a diesel Wrangler if they ever put one out, and with the mileage figures I'm seeing, I feel like I can justify the buy. What is your opinion? My commute is 27-30 miles one way, 80% of that is highway use. Then using it off road on the weekends.
I have a 2020 JLUD with close to 14,000 miles and zero issues. My Wrangler is a daily driver and used for Wheeling, camping and overlanding. Having owned Wranglers in the past the 3.6 with the horrible 5 speed automatic transmission made Simple weekend off Highway trips with a moderate payload and only 35's not as enjoyable as it could be not to mention an extended weekend or week-long Overland Wheeling adventure with the heavy payload + 35's was flat-out miserable any slight grade or climbing into the higher Mountain elevations was painstaking I could say hands down this is the best most enjoyable Wrangler I have ever owned. Not even a slight hesitation while climbing any grade any mountain with my 35's and at least 800 lb of payload camping gear cooler water ect.. soon we'll be going to 37th the torque in this Beast fits the perfect Wrangler set up Not sure about only local driving and what issues may arise with that. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would buy a Wrangler for just around their local Town but they do it anyway you never see pinstriping... and the 20 in Wheels is a dead giveaway (they never intend nor will they wheel) leaving the pavement we're using the Wrangler for what it should be used for off road. From what you described as you're used for the Wrangler I strongly suggest get the diesel the others are not being truthful and they regret and will be spending the extra money to regear you will not have to regear the $4,000 difference is hands-down the best Powertrain option just my opinion. This is a third gen diesel I'm well aware of all the issues from the first and second gen but so far I've heard nothing but positive on the current diesel. The 3.6 is a true confirmed tested and proved excellent engine. With the new 8-speed transmission it fits the bill perfectly keeping Rubicon 33s and a moderate payload while running around the pavement in town. Watch the TRL vid on the diesel smashing the 3.6 every time you tell which is more fun to drive. Those who do not wheel would not know this but those who do with the diesel no the mpg is just fantastic off-road as it is on Road you cannot say the same for the 3.6 I continue to get > 20 mpg of road! With that said if money is No Object and I was to do it again power has always been an issue go with the new 392 with the half doors all the power all the torque in the world with 37's heavy payload and yes definitely the Jerry cans full of gas for the thirsty 6.4 L Beast. I stand behind my diesel and my wife was so impressed she ordered a 2021 jlurd for herself. It will arrive in 3 weeks I will send the side By side diesel pics in the future.

Sponsored

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
Hello owners, writing because I need some input. Yesterday was the second time I was supposed to call my salesman and give a deposit for a JLURD, but got cold feet. Two nights ago I was up till 1am here on the forums reading horror stories of this engine. Guys with 4-8K miles and it's already been in the shop for 30-60 days cause of some issue, most likely having to do with emissions.(?) My first Jeep was a new 08 JKUR and I loved it. I've three since then, always selling cause I make the wrong decision to buy and they're just not great daily drivers when your commute is almost 60 miles a day.
So my question is this: Understanding this crowd is going to be a bit biased, are my concerns valid? Or are these issues few and far between? I've heard the 3.0 is a great engine if you do longer trips with it (like my commute) as it has time to regen, and that these guys having these horrible experiences are likely using them in town more than on the highway. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't have me nervous. No one wants to drop $60K and then have to visit the service department 10x a year. I, like many, have always said I'd buy a diesel Wrangler if they ever put one out, and with the mileage figures I'm seeing, I feel like I can justify the buy. What is your opinion? My commute is 27-30 miles one way, 80% of that is highway use. Then using it off road on the weekends.
I just turned in my lemon buyback yesterday and already have another on order coming in next week. Sometimes there are problems with vehicles and that's what warranties are for. The fact that I bought another after having a real problem says a lot about the available alternatives. As for the diesel, if I could build it with a two door and a manual transmission I'd be absolutely sold.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just get the 3.6 6 cylinder and manual transmission and be done with it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Vocal minority.

Research virtually any vehicle manufacturer and you'll see the same negative posts. Better yet, take a little trip down Jeep's own memory lane and research the 3.6 Pentastar. I bought one of the first Wrangler Pentastars in Fall of 2011. Keep in mind that that engine had been used previously in other vehicles. Based on the negative posts at that time, you would have never bought a Pentastar. Now...it is the darling of the Wrangler engines.

BTW, I don't doubt that people are really having issues; I just think that it is a small percentage.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I think when you decide to buy a Wrangler, you have to know what you are getting into. I assume you have done your homework in terms of how it drives, fuel mileage, etc.

It is justified to be concerned as the JLs did not get off to a great start. However, when you look at the recalls, look at the number of units affected on most of them. Jeep sells 4-5K a week and many recalls were for sub 10K units (or 2 weeks worth).

I think that there are two important things to factor into the complaint side of the house:
1) Many fantasize about a Wrangler .... mainly the image. They fail to do their homework and hate it ... and usually bitch to the world.

2) The act of modifying your ride, beating it up on the trails and, in many cases, doing your own maintenance/repairs leads to a higher amount of issues. If most Honda Civic owners tuned their car themselves to be 400HP, Honda would not have its same reputation.

Finally, who comes onto a forum to talk about reliability? ā€œMy car is bulletproofā€ is not an exciting thread. Wranglers, when maintained and treated properly are reliable cars. But ... the nature of allowing things to be modified means that things break, creak and rattle. If you can live with that, you will love it!

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
I think if you order one rather than buying dealer stock you pay more. Build on Jeep.com then do a search and you can find the options that are acceptable within 100 miles usually closer. Save 5-$10K right there.
Second, i'd recommend getting the 8.4 with nav / premium with kicker sound.
If you look into it you will spend northward of $2k easily if you think you want to get a 7" audio and then upgrade it. Maybe even more, and some functions will not work.

i got a 2dr rubi with the options i wanted for $44.9k out the door taxes and all. (no leather seats, no hard top, but all the good options elecrical/towing/rubi features/2dr that i wanted)

Third: do the fuse check (i had 10 out of 50 loose) right after you get it.
Fourth: i had my rear camera stop working for a day. then after i realized it was because i had changed the front bumper to steel with the factory LED and my rubi had to relearn because i did an equipment change. the system recognized that the front fogs were no longer the halogens.

Lastly, these are the original "utility" vehicles. it means you can mod the heck out of them, bolt on whatever you want, make it yours. That does not mean expect 100% total perfection like you are buying a $100k lexus / mercedes / bmw etc. They are not that (i think you know this, having owned jeeps)

the MPG on these new jeeps is amazing compared to the old ones.

also realize that we have a lot of the "tuner crowd" on this site. they think bolting on a box will do miracles only to find that they have created a "code thrower" that blows smoke and runs crappy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Thanks all for the comments. Iā€™m not expecting a Lexus ride, though it sure seems Jeep is trying to do just that sometimes! These news sure are nice inside compared to the TJs and even the JKs.
The Jeep will be my DD and take us north deep into the woods on most weekends so it wonā€™t get too much in mods, probably 35s and a winch. I think the diesel can handle that for sure. And like many of you, Iā€™ve been waiting for this day for a decade or more. True, only 1 in 1,000 are having the super bad luck, and those are the guys on here making the most noise, but I donā€™t blame them. Iā€™m just hoping I donā€™t get the same experience. (Like all of us.)
Thanks again for the info. Iā€™m planning on moving forward with the 3.0.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i hope you like yours as much as we like ours!

take a long hard look at the Willys compared to the Rubicon; you might find the Willys is a much better value for what you're going to do.

Thanks all for the comments. Iā€™m not expecting a Lexus ride, though it sure seems Jeep is trying to do just that sometimes! These news sure are nice inside compared to the TJs and even the JKs.
The Jeep will be my DD and take us north deep into the woods on most weekends so it wonā€™t get too much in mods, probably 35s and a winch. I think the diesel can handle that for sure. And like many of you, Iā€™ve been waiting for this day for a decade or more. True, only 1 in 1,000 are having the super bad luck, and those are the guys on here making the most noise, but I donā€™t blame them. Iā€™m just hoping I donā€™t get the same experience. (Like all of us.)
Thanks again for the info. Iā€™m planning on moving forward with the 3.0.

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've heard the 3.0 is a great engine if you do longer trips with it (like my commute) as it has time to regen, and that these guys having these horrible experiences
I want to tell my regen-a-diesel story, because it may be relevant.

My wife has an Audi A3 with a diesel 2 liter engine, yes the "cheater" 2010 "clean diesel" that wasn't actually clean. This was her daily driver for 10 years, around the city, and rarely was any trip past 10 miles on way. We would occasionally drive on a 200 mile trip to Portland from Seattle, that sort of thing, but it was a city car mostly.

My wife would tell me "check engine light is on again", she'd take it to the dealer, they'd "fix it" at no charge due to extended warranty that Audi kept extending due to their legal situation with cheating on emissions. Finally that ran out.

Meanwhile, I had an OBD2 device by then and the next time the check engine light came on, I plugged it in, and the car said "I need to regen". I had no idea what "regen" was, read about it, and voila - all we had to do was go on a 100 mile round trip, and then clear the check engine light which I could do. I've read that the Audi dealer would just push a button on their computer to tell the computer to regen as they warm it up to normal temps, rather than the usual 50 mile trip.

I'm pretty sure you can do the same with any diesel - just regen it it when you need to, or get some software and an OBD2 device and force a regen. I know the Edge device can do it for a Ram diesel.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I think if you order one rather than buying dealer stock you pay more. Build on Jeep.com then do a search and you can find the options that are acceptable within 100 miles usually closer. Save 5-$10K right there.
Second, i'd recommend getting the 8.4 with nav / premium with kicker sound.
If you look into it you will spend northward of $2k easily if you think you want to get a 7" audio and then upgrade it. Maybe even more, and some functions will not work.

i got a 2dr rubi with the options i wanted for $44.9k out the door taxes and all. (no leather seats, no hard top, but all the good options elecrical/towing/rubi features/2dr that i wanted)

Third: do the fuse check (i had 10 out of 50 loose) right after you get it.
Fourth: i had my rear camera stop working for a day. then after i realized it was because i had changed the front bumper to steel with the factory LED and my rubi had to relearn because i did an equipment change. the system recognized that the front fogs were no longer the halogens.

Lastly, these are the original "utility" vehicles. it means you can mod the heck out of them, bolt on whatever you want, make it yours. That does not mean expect 100% total perfection like you are buying a $100k lexus / mercedes / bmw etc. They are not that (i think you know this, having owned jeeps)

the MPG on these new jeeps is amazing compared to the old ones.

also realize that we have a lot of the "tuner crowd" on this site. they think bolting on a box will do miracles only to find that they have created a "code thrower" that blows smoke and runs crappy.
I agree with every thing youā€™ve said except the first sentence. My experience has been just the opposite. Perhaps the correct answer, like many things, is YMMV.

SLK RCK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree with every thing youā€™ve said except the first sentence. My experience has been just the opposite. Perhaps the correct answer, like many things, is YMMV.
Concur, way cheaper to order in ID vs purchase off the lot in CO.
Sponsored